SHOULD Cruising return in its current form?

I see adults come out at 6am and put things on chairs and then they don't show up until their excursion returns to the ship in the late afternoon. My idea to stop that, is that you get a timed/different colored card for each hour or two the pool is open. Then pool attendants could come by the chair where the previous color card is and anyone who is not present in the pool area for that upcoming hour, gets their things removed. If you are there, the attendant swaps your card for the new time block.

I like your proposal better. It someone get's there early and is actually present, they shouldn't be time limited. That's not very relaxing.

The chair hog thing is a problem not just on all cruise ships, but on most land-based hotels and resorts as well. Given how universal the problem is, one would think someone would have come up with a good solution by now. However, a good solution remains very elusive - probably because a solution would likely result in angering the lunatics who are up before the sun to throw stuff on chairs and then disappear for hours - which is the real issue (if you are actually in the chair or lounge the entire time, there's no issue) - and they would make a stink and cruise line/hotel operators mostly just want to avoid conflict...especially with lunatics.

The chair hog thing is a problem not just on all cruise ships, but on most land-based hotels and resorts as well. Given how universal the problem is, one would think someone would have come up with a good solution by now. However, a good solution remains very elusive - probably because a solution would likely result in angering the lunatics who are up before the sun to throw stuff on chairs and then disappear for hours - which is the real issue (if you are actually in the chair or lounge the entire time, there's no issue) - and they would make a stink and cruise line/hotel operators mostly just want to avoid conflict...especially with lunatics.

I have - numerous times - dropped suggestion cards in various hotels for a unique solution that I know would work well. Add a pressure sensor to the chairs. When any weight is on them, the timer begins. At the end of 2 hours, it forcibly ejects the contents of the chair into a nice 20 foot high arc ending in the pool. This serves 2 purposes. it clears the chairs every 2 hours and serves as endless entertainment for kids (and adults watching kids go flying).

Sadly, none of the places I visit seem to be taking my suggestion very seriously.

That is an interesting idea. They could number the chairs and you can go up to a desk and checkout enough open chairs for your party. They would give you up to 2 hours and ask that you let them know if you are leaving earlier. At the end of 2 hours, you could checkout for another hour at a time if chairs aren't full. I am not sure I support this, since it might complicate things and the best part of cruising is lack of complication, but it is an option worth considering. What I fear is it would turn into is a reservation system versus first-come-first-served, meaning even one less thing you can do spontaneously and have access to as a newer cruiser.

My cruise life is usually more complicated by chair hogs... I noticed that we had to plan our pool time in advance if we wanted chairs vs deciding to go to the pool spontaneously.

I feel like cruising is a vacation that has many different perspectives. Some choose it to go to international destinations and get a taste of different places and cultures. Some use the ship as a destination. Some are a mix. I feel like they should not limit pool chair time.

I do think the pools need to be bigger.

I agree that things like Tylenol are essential, but 1. This is Disney and 2. You are essentially "trapped" so you have to get it there. I totally get it why they are expensive. It would nice for them to sell them cheaper but they would never.

The idea of a 3rd dinner seating is interesting, but I am not sure exactly where DCL would put it. These DCL dinners in the MDR aren't exactly "quick" and the DCL schedule as it is rn is one that works very well with the show and dinner and then you flip flop.

The buffet will change no doubt due to COVID. I have no problem if the CMs serve you. I remember reading something about some other line (maybe RCCL) that was considering giving everyone disposable tongs to use. That is incredibly wasteful but a way to keep it self serve. Ice cream and soda wouldnt be a bad idea, but I hope that the soda machine isnt non self serve forever, pouring drinks into paper cups every time is so wasteful and I have seen other places with their soda machines open. No one should touch anything they do not need to touch, but this is a respiratory virus still.

A cruise usually have stops. People might also buy meds over there (and pay less).

RCCL pours the drinks for their but they do it in plastic or glass (cleanable) glasses/cups. It works very well.

To answer the OP, no. With this long of a stoppage, those in charge should be thinking of improvements (either for the guests or the lines) and be making at least some changes. So I expect we will see changes when cruising resumes in a more normal capacity (obviously there will be, hopefully, short term changes).

I feel like OP's question was really more about what we would WANT to change about cruising that what will likely happen with Covid-19. I guess my big wants would be:

(1) Bigger pools. Obviously. Maybe a lazy river going around the pool deck--how fun would that be?? Absolutely!!

(2) Fewer shops. I pretty much always have to avoid the midship elevators on the pool deck so my kids aren't dragging me into look at pirate toys and mickey goggles. The tiffany store on the fantasy is so weird and un-Disneyish--never understood why it was there. And who really wants buy a $10,000 crystal mickey statuette? I think they need better stock in the current stores. And yes, Tiffany was a very weird add!

(3) Port excursions that are actually run by Disney. We would for sure pay a premium for a single ABD-style excursions where there is a really to-notch tour guide that makes it fun for the kids (I know they do the packages in Alaska that add excursions at every port, but that all-day/every-day adventure touring style is too much for us with little kids--a single excursion like that would be perfect though). We kind of swore off the third-party guided excursions you can book through DCL after a really bad experience in Cozumel, but would feel better if knew it was a Disney CM/ABD-style guide running things. I don't like this at all. I would rather support local companies. We normally book everything independently - no reason to give any more money to Disney.

(4) Kid-friendly upcharge restaurant. I love the MDRs, but REALLY love Palo and would love it if there were an opportunity to bring kids in with us to a similar experience but not adult only, since ours don't always want to be in the kids club. One think we always liked about Disney World was having an opportunity to eat a fancy meal at a signature restaurant that is kid-friendly. First, I'd like them to have MORE upcharge restaurants and yes, be able to bring my daughter. We loved being able to go to all the restaurants together on Royal.

(5) Inside staterooms for 5. Would make it much more affordable to do some of the pricier itineraries.

I think it will put a stop to the trend of ships going for big, bigger, biggest. I think people will prefer smaller ships with smaller crowds.

I actually find the crowds less on the bigger ships because there are more places for people to go! The crowds at the Christmas activities in the atrium on the Magic are much worse than anything we've come across on the big ships.

Some things we'd like:

I would be thrilled to be served in the buffet (have seen so many gross things). However, they need to do something about the soda machines where people keep reusing their own bottles - touching the top of the dispenser with their bottles. Same with the ice cream. What a mess those machines get to be.

Would love a 3rd show - late night. We do 2nd seating and never have anything to do after dinner.

Buffet dinner at Cabanas.

Change up the food in the MDR. Better/more vegetarian options.

Bigger/more pools.

More "active" activities for older kids - like a rock-climbing wall.

Change up the shows. Have enjoyed some of the variety shows but they're always in a small lounge where it can be tough to get seats.

For Concierge: their own pool and dining room, and either reservations for seats or an area sectioned off in the theater like some other lines.

Found the reference. It was Sand Fleas. They generally only come out at Dusk, which is why the ships have an all aboard before nightfall. But the beaches get overrun with them.

Sand Fleas on certain islands of the Bahamas are really, really bad. They can hit you even when you're nowhere near the beach, they get you through your clothes/socks, and if you're allergic like I am the welts can last for days. For me, they're worse than the mosquitos in the Bahamas, and that's saying something, because Bahamas mosquitos are vicious at dusk.

I hope this ends the era of the mega ships. I personally find them grotesque, even without their damage to the environment factored in. Do you really need a roller coaster at sea? At some point it just becomes a parody like Wall-E. I have no idea what the ratio of food waste is in the buffets vs the seated meals, but if ending self-serve at buffets means less germs spread and less food discarded uneaten, I'm all for it.

I don't think concierge needs its own restaurant, but a dedicated pool would be nice.

Sand Fleas on certain islands of the Bahamas are really, really bad. They can hit you even when you're nowhere near the beach, they get you through your clothes/socks, and if you're allergic like I am the welts can last for days. For me, they're worse than the mosquitos in the Bahamas, and that's saying something, because Bahamas mosquitos are vicious at dusk.

I hope this ends the era of the mega ships. I personally find them grotesque, even without their damage to the environment factored in. Do you really need a roller coaster at sea? At some point it just becomes a parody like Wall-E. I have no idea what the ratio of food waste is in the buffets vs the seated meals, but if ending self-serve at buffets means less germs spread and less food discarded uneaten, I'm all for it.

I don't think concierge needs its own restaurant, but a dedicated pool would be nice.
Yeah, if youve ever had a bad case of sand fleas you would avoid them again if at all possible.

And I agree about the food waste. I wouldnt be so shocked if over time it actually had an impact on fuel needs as well (hauling less).

Quite the opposite actually. The damage from three 2000-passenger, old, tired ships is much more severe on the environment than that from a single fuel-efficient modern liner carrying 6000 guests. On a per-passenger basis, that's true for food consumption, water use, and fuel use. It's like comparing a train with an equivalent number of cars and ending up with a conclusion that a train wastes more.

Carnival is shedding 18 ships from its fleet - not a single one of them is a large ship. The first mainstream ship to sail in this pandemic is a mega ship.

Personal likes aside, a majority of the cruisers won't be able to afford their next cruise if the industry starts building out smaller ships instead. The only reason you can find cheap rates on the smaller cruise ships today is because most of them were built decades ago and have already amortized away those upfront costs.

Quite the opposite actually. The damage from three 2000-passenger, old, tired ships is much more severe on the environment than that from a single fuel-efficient modern liner carrying 6000 guests. On a per-passenger basis, that's true for food consumption, water use, and fuel use. It's like comparing a train with an equivalent number of cars and ending up with a conclusion that a train wastes more.

Carnival is shedding 18 ships from its fleet - not a single one of them is a large ship. The first mainstream ship to sail in this pandemic is a mega ship.

Personal likes aside, a majority of the cruisers won't be able to afford their next cruise if the industry starts building out smaller ships instead. The only reason you can find cheap rates on the smaller cruise ships today is because most of them were built decades ago and have already amortized away those upfront costs.

Carnival is hardly an industry leader when it comes to environmental friendliness. In fact, their Princess line was caught illegally dumping wastewater in Alaska. If Carnival doesn't survive the pandemic the whole planet will be better off for it.

Carnival is hardly an industry leader when it comes to environmental friendliness. In fact, their Princess line was caught illegally dumping wastewater in Alaska. If Carnival doesn't survive the pandemic the whole planet will be better off for it.

I actually read a statement about this today on another cruise board. This is a statement from a gentleman who is a retired cruise ship engineer about that matter.

To be factually correct, the original violation that led to their probation cannot be proved that they actually made any pollution at all. They pumped bilge water that had come from a gray water tank overflow directly overboard as if it were still gray water. However, without any monitor, there is no way to know if any oil went over the side, or whether the oil content exceeded the legal limit (yes, ships are allowed to put limited amounts of oil over the side, legally). While most of the practices that I've seen documented in court documents are more administrative than actually polluting, they are still not acceptable, and I deplore Carnival Corp's poor corporate attitude towards environmental compliance

All new menus and new shows would entice people to come back.

Whatever they end up doing they should tell us in advance so we can cancel with full refunds if the changes are not for us. And only make changes that are actually needed and effective. For example, California banned people from sitting on the beach even if they were alone, ridiculous!

I actually read a statement about this today on another cruise board. This is a statement from a gentleman who is a retired cruise ship engineer about that matter.

To be factually correct, the original violation that led to their probation cannot be proved that they actually made any pollution at all. They pumped bilge water that had come from a gray water tank overflow directly overboard as if it were still gray water. However, without any monitor, there is no way to know if any oil went over the side, or whether the oil content exceeded the legal limit (yes, ships are allowed to put limited amounts of oil over the side, legally). While most of the practices that I've seen documented in court documents are more administrative than actually polluting, they are still not acceptable, and I deplore Carnival Corp's poor corporate attitude towards environmental compliance
With all due respect to the retired engineer, Carnival was criminally convicted - twice. I'm one of their biggest critics when it comes to environmental responsibility, but that isn't my point. I simply want to highlight which way the industry leaders are headed. They aren't building small ships anymore - except for their niche/luxury lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter