Should DVC eliminate walking?

I do understand it quite well. They book a reservation 11 months from a check in date, They then move a reservations check in date,

The fact That the check in date changes, doesn’t make It a reservation that booked before 11 months.

The point of walking is to secure one reservation at 11 months and then change that reservation to a different date.

Any date change to reservation is a date change. That is my point. Whether it is because they have decided to walk it forward or because they got different airfare, or simply changed their minds, People just don’t like this particular reason for changing a check in date,

New people read these boards all the time, and when others say people are booking reservations more than 11 months it causes confusion,

Its why I like people to know what is actually happening. They are changing reservations booked 11 months in advance to a new reservation starting at a later date. it may seem like a silly difference, but it helps people to really understand it.

Why? Because to fix it, DVC has to change the rules in the
POS/Home Resort Rules and Regulations that puts in a penalty or restrictions for modifying reservations.

I wonder if the question was “Should DVC change the rules and put in restrictions or penalties for changing or modifying reservations more than 31 days out, regardless of reason?” if people would respond the same way.

We are talking about different things then. There is a significant difference between someone booking a reservation one week then a month later changing their mind and deciding to go a different week; and someone booking a reservation one week then continually changing that reservation to circumvent the 11 month rule. One is walking. The other is not. This thread is about walking. That is, leveraging an existing reservation that extends beyond the 11 month window to access rooms further beyond the 11 month window. Any restriction on a reservation to prevent walking would be temporary and only apply while part of the reservation is beyond the 11 month window. Full cancel would always be available (including modifications that include a full cancel).

I get the feeling that you think stopping walking means stopping all modifications or penalizing all modifications, but that doesn't have to be the case. Once a reservation is completely within the 11 month window, no restrictions would be needed as that reservation can no longer be walked. In other words, modifying a reservation that is completely within the 11 month window is not walking.

We are talking about different things then. There is a significant difference between someone booking a reservation one week then a month later changing their mind and deciding to go a different week; and someone booking a reservation one week then continually changing that reservation to circumvent the 11 month rule. One is walking. The other is not. This thread is about walking. That is, leveraging an existing reservation that extends beyond the 11 month window to access rooms further beyond the 11 month window. Any restriction on a reservation to prevent walking would be temporary and only apply while part of the reservation is beyond the 11 month window. Full cancel would always be available (including modifications that include a full cancel).

I get the feeling that you think stopping walking means stopping all modifications or penalizing all modifications, but that doesn't have to be the case. Once a reservation is completely within the 11 month window, no restrictions would be needed as that reservation can no longer be walked. In other words, modifying a reservation that is completely within the 11 month window is not walking.

Per the rules of our POS, we currently have NO restrictions or penalties to change a reservation, unless you are within 31 days.

I am not sure you understand that any change, even the one you are suggesting, would have to modify that document, which might not be legally allowed,

I am not sure you understand that changes that give one member an advantage over another...which was not part of the way the timeshare was set up..May not be legally allowed either.

Your solution allows me as a large point owner to get around that rule easily. I book for two or three weeks, and hold it and drop what I need once everything is in the window,

Originally, people would walk a week early...now it is much longer, There will always be ways around it. It also does nothing for people walking reservations for non home resorts around the 7 month mark. I get that is not always a guarantee but it happens. So, your suggestion penalizes home resort owners from shifting dates by being restricted, but not those that don’t own there...

Granted, something like you suggest could cut down on some people’s ability to walk..those that can’t hold weeks at a time...but it does t eliminate it, I would even argue it forces people to hold a lot more nights for a longer time without dropping them which would make those hard to get rooms even worse,

I guarantee you that anything that Disney does, if legally allowed, will apply to all situations and not just the one you don’t like.

I am going to just agree to disagree with you.

Last edited:
Per the rules of our POS, we currently have NO restrictions or penalties to change a reservation, unless you are within 31 days.

I am not sure you understand that any change, even the one you are suggesting, would have to modify that document, which might not be legally allowed,

First, a full cancel would always be allowed without penalty or restriction, so I don't think stopping walking violates what you think it violates.

Second, "Might not be legally allowed" also means "might be legally allowed."

First, a full cancel would always be allowed without penalty or restriction, so I don't think stopping walking violates what you think it violates.

Second, "Might not be legally allowed" also means "might be legally allowed."

Im not a lawyer but according to ones post here who knows a lot, seemed to indicate a huge change violates Florida law,

And, walking...to be clear..is changing any reservations dates forward, It does not only happen at 11 months.

I can booked a room now that I want 8 months from now because it’s there’s and then decide to just keep moving it forward to the dates I want. It’s still walking.

I can booked a room now that I want 8 months from now because it’s there’s and then decide to just keep moving it forward to the dates I want. It’s still walking.

No. That's not walking. At least I don't classify it as walking. Does anyone? You can only move the room forward if the room is available. In other words, all other owners had a fair shot at that room. You are on equal footing with the other owner and have not leveraged a loophole.

I guess the deal is to start walking as early as you can. We all just need to do it. I'm going to start booking my BWV standard rooms several months out.

No. That's not walking. At least I don't classify it as walking. Does anyone? You can only move the room forward if the room is available. In other words, all other owners had a fair shot at that room. You are on equal footing with the other owner and have not leveraged a loophole.

Absolutely it is walking! All walking is is moving a reservation forward. Book and change start dates and add to the end

That's why some people will try to walk at non home resorts. To get an advantage ahead iof others. They are starting non home resort at a
7 month date that is actually not when they want to go. It doesn’t always work because a home resort owner can jump in and stop the walk..but it can and does work.

So wait? If I book a room at 10 1/2 months for a date I really don’t want, but someone else is trying to book it who wants it, you don’t think that is the same thing?

Not any different than at 11 months. All owners have an equal shot for every day of the year 11 months from that date.

So wait? If I book a room at 10 1/2 months for a date I really don’t want, but someone else is trying to book it who wants it, you don’t think that is the same thing?
Nope. I do not consider that the same thing.
It isn't walking because at 11 months the other owners had an opportunity to book that room.
Walking denies that opportunity because of the 11 month window. Booking and shifting at the 11 month window exploits the system so that the walker has access to a room that no one else has access to. This is a critical difference!

I wonder if there will be a mass walk for the 50th. That would be a sight to see.
I think that everyone should walk. Only thing stopping you is when your use year is. You can't "walk" over that. So if you get your points in say OCT and you want to walk a 10/1- 10/8 reservation you are SooL. If you book months before and attempt to walk you can't walk over you use year date. In this case a person with say a December use year has an easier time walking.

If you want to an OCT reservation and you have a OCT use year you can never walk it. Either you have to borrow the points to the year before or use prior year points to book the reservation before 10/1. Once your reservation walks into OCT you can't walk in since the points in use would expire. SO you have to wait until October to book and the walkers with other use years will have beat you. Perhaps the suckiest of the walking situations. Walking is not possible for the month of your use year.

What if a 7 day limitation was introduced for ad/remove 1 day for any combo of adding/removing days? After 7 straight days, the system forces one day 'off'. Then you could proceed for another 7 days. With those gap risks it's not as attractive. Could cause just enough complication to discourage walking weeks/months out without affecting other reservation changes. Walking could still occur but this could reduce the severity.

Last edited:
I'll start my Oct 2021 walk once I can book using my 2021 UY points without crossing my UY. That is, if I can even get a walk started (value studio don't let me down!).

What if a 7 day limitation was introduced for ad/remove 1 day? After 7 days, the system forces one day 'off'. Then you could proceed for another 7 days. With those gap risks it's not as attractive. Could cause just enough complication to discourage walking weeks/months out without affecting other reservation changes. Walking could still occur but this could reduce the severity.
I don't think I understand what you're meaning. There's no need to do 1 day at a time with walking unless you only have enough points for 2 nights. If you can book the 7 nights then you only need to modify once every 6 days.

It isn't walking because at 11 months the other owners had an opportunity to book that room.
Walking denies that opportunity because of the 11 month window. Booking and shifting at the 11 month window exploits the system so that the walker has access to a room that no one else has access to. This is a critical difference!
While your solution is probably the best possible case its not going to make things fair at all.

Right now, everyone has the ability to walk, regardless of number of points (assuming you have enough for 2 nights).

If you eliminate it, then people with a lot of points will book a 2 week stay 11 months and 1 week out to compensate. The proverbial Leading week scenario that just had the fast pass loop hole closed. Then 3 weeks later they will cancel that first week.

They did not walk their reservation, they just contracted it, but basically did the same thing, blocked a room early.

I also think the class action lawsuit would get filed just as fast as it did when they started changing for 3 dollar fuel rod swaps - and that was only over 3 dollars.

I don't think I understand what you're meaning. There's no need to do 1 day at a time with walking unless you only have enough points for 2 nights. If you can book the 7 nights then you only need to modify once every 6 days.
Hmmm, maybe I'm confused. New to this, lol.
I was thinking that people are making these adjustments daily. It's usually on a weekly basis?

I was thinking that people are making these adjustments daily. It's usually on a weekly basis?
People can make them daily but there's no need to. I kind of laugh when people say how much time walking takes....5 minutes once every 6 days is all it takes. It can also be done any time of day so no need to wake up early either.

You move it on the last day before check out, So, if on Dec 1st you book Nov 1 to 6. On Dec 5th, you shift the reservation to Nov 5 to 10th....basically, just keep moving it.

Then you don’t really have a good understanding of walking or the current rules.

You and I have the same, exact opportunity to book a trip, every single day of the year at our home resort 11 months out from that date, AND book up to 7 days.

If I get it before you, then thats the way a first come, first serve works. I got those 7 days exactly when I am allowed to book them.

If you are trying to say that when I change my day 7 to become day 1, I got it early, you are wrong. I was allowed that 7th night when I booked at 11 months.

Honestly, there is no sense to try to explain it. You feel reservations booked right at 11 months should be restricted but that every and all reservations after that are fair game.

I believe a system that puts no restrictions on modifying is the fairest for all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter