Should DVC eliminate walking?

Hmmm, maybe I'm confused. New to this, lol.
I was thinking that people are making these adjustments daily. It's usually on a weekly basis?
To walk a reservation you need to take action on #OfDaysOfReservation - 1
a 10 day reservation you need to act every 9 days.
a 3 day, every 2 days

Im sticking with the devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

And I could not find anything in the POS that said I can not change my reservation in this manner, and that is the contract I bought.

To walk a reservation you need to take action on #OfDaysOfReservation - 1
a 10 day reservation you need to act every 9 days.
a 3 day, every 2 days
Well, with walking you're limited to being 7 nights into the 11/7 month window so it requires action every 6 days.

Perhaps we should eliminate walking, then regulate internet connection speeds, so people with faster connections do not have an advantage, or those closer to the servers processing the requests.

If the servers are in the US, then good luck to ppl in Europe! You won't ever win that race.

Ahh, got it. Thanks. Walking intervals are tied to trip length.

One more question as I'm trying to understand the intricacies of DVC a bit better before becoming an owner...
I thought there was a limit on how many times we can change a reservation? Is there a difference between modifying an existing rsvn and totally re-booking either a different resort or week?

I'll start my Oct 2021 walk once I can book using my 2021 UY points without crossing my UY. That is, if I can even get a walk started (value studio don't let me down!).
I had faith in my RIV points but I also don't want to risk trip I've been looking forward to for years now

Ahh, got it. Thanks. Walking intervals are tied to trip length.

One more question as I'm trying to understand the intricacies of DVC a bit better before becoming an owner...
I thought there was a limit on how many times we can change a reservation? Is there a difference between modifying an existing rsvn and totally re-booking either a different resort or week?

Currently, there is no penalty or restriction to changing reservations more than 31 days in advance, You can change dates, resorts, or names as much as you want,

It truly is one of the best aspects of the program. If you cancel or change a reservation to use less points with less than 31 days from check in, then points go into holding. Holding points will expire at the end of the UY of the trip, and can only be booked 60 days or less from check in.

The reason was to prevent people for canceling last minute and then the system ending up with vacant rooms at the last minute.

Last edited:

Currently, there is no penalty or restriction to changing reservations more than 31 days in advance, You can change dates, resorts, or names as much as you want,

It truly is one of the best aspects of the program. If you cancel or change a reservation to use less points with less than 31 days from check in, then points go into holding. Holding points will expire at the end of the UY of the trip, and can only be booked 60 days or less from check in.

The reason was to prevent people for not canceling last minute and then the system ending up with vacant rooms at the last minute.
Thank you Sandi :)

Somewhere I got it stuck in my head that you can't change a reservation more than once (must've had it confused with something else). That flexibility is nice! And worth protecting.

What if a 7 day limitation was introduced for ad/remove 1 day for any combo of adding/removing days? After 7 straight days, the system forces one day 'off'. Then you could proceed for another 7 days. With those gap risks it's not as attractive. Could cause just enough complication to discourage walking weeks/months out without affecting other reservation changes. Walking could still occur but this could reduce the severity.

There are many DVC members from overseas who book two to three week stays.

So they can’t limit reservations to 7. They have to allow people to add days. The nature of points based is to allow for all length of stays.

Only limit in the rules is if the institute the special seasons rule, it could include one...IIRC, 5 days.

Per the Multi site POS:

"If a reservation is changed more than thirty (30) days before arrival and the revised reservation uses fewer Home Resort Vacation Points than the original reservation, the remaining Home Resort Vacation Points will also be fully restored to the Club Member. The restored Home Resort Vacation Points may be used according to the standard guidelines during the remainder of that Use Year, subject to availability."

I do not see how they can stop walking legally. They would get sued. Perhaps they would win, perhaps not. Either way, it would be a cost for them, with no benefit for them. That tends to annoy shareholders.

Walking, which as far as problems go is a pimple on Dumbo's rear, isn't Disney's problem if it's anyone's.

Per the Multi site POS:

"If a reservation is changed more than thirty (30) days before arrival and the revised reservation uses fewer Home Resort Vacation Points than the original reservation, the remaining Home Resort Vacation Points will also be fully restored to the Club Member. The restored Home Resort Vacation Points may be used according to the standard guidelines during the remainder of that Use Year, subject to availability."

I do not see how they can stop walking legally. They would get sued. Perhaps they would win, perhaps not. Either way, it would be a cost for them, with no benefit for them. That tends to annoy shareholders.

Walking, which as far as problems go is a pimple on Dumbo's rear, isn't Disney's problem if it's anyone's.

I can’t believe that Disney would even find a reason to change it because with the exception of a few months a year, for a few rooms, people can get rooms. Anyone booking studios today, wouldn’t have a problem at any resort, even at 8 pm. And I can guarantee you there are people Out there who booked today to walk reservations.

I can’t believe that Disney would even find a reason to change it because with the exception of a few months a year, for a few rooms, people can get rooms. Anyone booking studios today, wouldn’t have a problem at any resort, even at 8 pm. And I can guarantee you there are people Out there who booked today to walk reservations.
exactly. Its not an issue. and right now, everyone has the same fair shake.

There are many DVC members from overseas who book two to three week stays.

So they can’t limit reservations to 7. They have to allow people to add days. The nature of points based is to allow for all length of stays.

Only limit in the rules is if the institute the special seasons rule, it could include one...IIRC, 5 days.
Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie. In the grand scheme a fix isn't worth the potential upsets.

What if a 7 day limitation was introduced for ad/remove 1 day for any combo of adding/removing days? After 7 straight days, the system forces one day 'off'. Then you could proceed for another 7 days. With those gap risks it's not as attractive. Could cause just enough complication to discourage walking weeks/months out without affecting other reservation changes. Walking could still occur but this could reduce the severity.
24 hours of travel for a 7 day stay.. No. Just No.

Whether one is in favor of walking or not, we should at least be able too admit that walking does allow members to extend their virtual booking windows past 11 months.

Last edited:
I do not like walking at all, I think it hurts the overall DVC system. That said, I also think anything DVC may try to do to discourage the practice will be even more detrimental and put more restrictions on booking our home resorts at 11 months out. No system is perfect in a timeshare that is as busy and fully booked as DVC. Adding restrictions is not the way to go, IMO. Like everything in life, you take the bad with the good.

24 hours of travel for a 7 day stay.. No. Just No.
I already changed my tune 7 posts ago and 1 post ago because it seems like it's a narrow issue that isn't worth affecting the entire program with new rules, but being brought up again let me revise to '6 day limitation introduced for the continuous changes of both adding+removing days, 1 forced day off, proceed, rinse repeat.'

Not that I want this but at least it'd make more sense than what I originally posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!