Silly question....Is there a place for Authentic Beignets???

wdwtheplacetobe

A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes....
When we visit New Orleans, Cafe Du Monde is a Must-See. We found the outlet in DL and went there for breakfast every day!

I'm thinking (might be wrong) that DLP would be a great place to look for them!

When we visit New Orleans, Cafe Du Monde is a Must-See. We found the outlet in DL and went there for breakfast every day!

I'm thinking (might be wrong) that DLP would be a great place to look for them!

Maybe it was a specialty once brought by the French to New Orleans in the 1800s, but nowadays... They might have them at the Mainstreet Bakery, but it has mainly brownies, muffins and donuts. If you want beignets, go into Paris itself.

*edit*
If you read French or Google Translate:https://lobjectifdethursday.wordpre...ndale-des-beignets-mickey-a-disneyland-paris/

I was born and raised in Paris, and FWIW it never occured to me that beignets were typical French pastries.

If you are willing to spend a few hours in Paris, I would suggest the following places, in no particular order, for the absolute best French pastries culinary experience that provide renowned “salon de thé”:

— Ladurée, known for selling one the best macarons, with shops in Les Champs-Élysées, Concorde, and small temporary shops in La Vallée Village just a few kilometers from DLP
— Angelina, just accross the Musée du Louvre, with the absolute best hot chocolate drinks you'll find anywhere on Earth
— Le Nôtre, with several shops all around Paris, they also sell full meals that you can bring back to your hotel room (several options do not require being heated while some do)

Thanks much for both of your answers! Told ya it was a silly question! Now I feel really dumb for asking it!!! Sorry to waste your time...but I appreciate the effort!

Thanks much for both of your answers! Told ya it was a silly question! Now I feel really dumb for asking it!!! Sorry to waste your time...but I appreciate the effort!

You are very welcome, no questions are dumb! Enjoy preparing your stay :-)

Better this than a trip report with a long whining chapter how you looked so much forward to eating real French beignets in DLP and you couldn't find them anywhere ;-) Good preparation is key to avoid disappointment :)

I was born and raised in Paris, and FWIW it never occured to me that beignets were typical French pastries.

If you are willing to spend a few hours in Paris, I would suggest the following places, in no particular order, for the absolute best French pastries culinary experience that provide renowned “salon de thé”:

— Ladurée, known for selling one the best macarons, with shops in Les Champs-Élysées, Concorde, and small temporary shops in La Vallée Village just a few kilometers from DLP
— Angelina, just accross the Musée du Louvre, with the absolute best hot chocolate drinks you'll find anywhere on Earth
— Le Nôtre, with several shops all around Paris, they also sell full meals that you can bring back to your hotel room (several options do not require being heated while some do)

Yes to all of those. My last trip to Paris, I stayed around the corner from Angelina and it was a cold March. I may have had more hot chocolate than is generally advisable.

I'm now based in Geneva and there are a couple of Ladurée. Not quite like Paris but better than the Ladurée in DC (which had huge lines the last few times I walked passed).

Last edited:

Better this than a trip report with a long whining chapter how you looked so much forward to eating real French beignets in DLP and you couldn't find them anywhere ;-) Good preparation is key to avoid disappointment :)

No Whining! It's a Disney Thang!!!

Beignets, like corned beef are American creations. Just like no one in Ireland eats corned beef, no one in France eats beignets. They would originally have been brought to America by the European immigrants. They became popular as generation after generation clung to their old world heritage. For example many American Irish have this fantasy image of Ireland, mainly based on generations of stories handed down from their ancestors who left Ireland 200 years ago. Then when they get here and see that Ireland of 2017 is very different to Ireland of 1830 they get disappointed. The same with the beignets. The French immigrants 300 years ago would have brought them to New Orleans. Like @cwis I would never have associated beignets with France, even though I have visited multiple areas of France, not just Paris and Disneyland. I had to ask my American friend what were they when we in New Orleans Square in Disneyland.

Actually, there is a German version of beignets that is very similar to the beignets that I had in Disneyland (in California). It has many different regional name, but anyone visiting Munich should try them at the Cafe Frischhut (also known as Cafe Schmalznudel) where they are served freshly made.

And just to add another thing to the story: In the train station in Kyoto (Japan) we came across a coffee shop called Cafe du Monde, they were selling the coffee from the famous place in New Orleans (seemed to have a license on the name as they had the same logo and color, too), but no beignets unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter