Site inspections at River Country?

They need more DVC hotels espcially because of the point burdens of the cabins at Copper and the Bungalows at Polly, these resorts sold alot of points to cover those buildings but 90 percent of dvc dont use them, so the added points has been hurting dvc availablity between the 7th and 11th month window at certain resorts.

They need more DVC hotels espcially because of the point burdens of the cabins at Copper and the Bungalows at Polly, these resorts sold alot of points to cover those buildings but 90 percent of dvc dont use them, so the added points has been hurting dvc availablity between the 7th and 11th month window at certain resorts.

It hurts the individual resorts more than the big picture DVC. The cabins at CCV take up only 2% of all available points at WDW - but take up 31% of the points at CCV. I think the bigger problem is that (a) more people are renting points and (b) the people that are renting to save money are also renting studios. The fact is - DVC needs to get with the program and put a larger percentage of studios in their room layouts. They moved in the right direction with the Poly, but CCV they went in the OPPOSITE direction - so clearly someone on the design team just doesn't get it.

CCV points distribution is as follows:
65 Studios 11%
68 One Bedroom Villas 24%
60 Two Bedroom Villas 27%
6 Grand Villas 7%
26 Cabins 31%

11% of points are in Studios. Are 11% of buyers wanting to stay in studios? When the average buy-in is 140 points - I don't think so.

For a moment, think about the 1,000+ hotels/timeshares/resorts that are in the greater Orlando area, most of which primarily exist to serve Disney and/or Universal. The addition of one more hotel will not even be discernible to your in-park experience.

We are seeing more expansion in terms of new rides, lands, etc. than ever before. Avatarland, Toy Story Land, Galaxie's Edge, EPCOT expansion, etc. are the things that will increase crowds - not a new hotel. Frankly, I'm glad they have some new hotels in the pipeline to help relieve the pending burden off the existing ones.
Filled up on-site hotels is exactly what Disney wants. I'm sure they are crunching the numbers to see how many hotels can be be supported. What's interesting is that they are changing out hotel rooms to make DVC rooms. If the hotels were full, they wouldn't do that, they would just build more new DVC rooms. Another interesting thing is the conversions from hotel to DVC are cheaper to build than ground up resorts like the new Riviera Resort. The shell building with the basic infrastructure is already in place. The conversions become "renovations" vs new construction which is less. The cost per point for the Riviera Resort will be telling. The new point cost could be much more as the last 2 resorts were mostly renovation projects.

Filled up on-site hotels is exactly what Disney wants. I'm sure they are crunching the numbers to see how many hotels can be be supported. What's interesting is that they are changing out hotel rooms to make DVC rooms. If the hotels were full, they wouldn't do that, they would just build more new DVC rooms. Another interesting thing is the conversions from hotel to DVC are cheaper to build than ground up resorts like the new Riviera Resort. The shell building with the basic infrastructure is already in place. The conversions become "renovations" vs new construction which is less. The cost per point for the Riviera Resort will be telling. The new point cost could be much more as the last 2 resorts were mostly renovation projects.
Yeah especially with the Skyliner aspect and being so close to Star Wars.

I’m curious what amenities are like. The rehabbed pools at wilderness lodge are really nice, as is geyser point. The poly is very well done as well.

But as you said that’s renovation of existing stock. Let’s see what they do with a blank canvas

For a moment, think about the 1,000+ hotels/timeshares/resorts that are in the greater Orlando area, most of which primarily exist to serve Disney and/or Universal. The addition of one more hotel will not even be discernible to your in-park experience.

We are seeing more expansion in terms of new rides, lands, etc. than ever before. Avatarland, Toy Story Land, Galaxie's Edge, EPCOT expansion, etc. are the things that will increase crowds - not a new hotel. Frankly, I'm glad they have some new hotels in the pipeline to help relieve the pending burden off the existing ones.
Good point, I don’t think the old water park site is a good place for another hotel. It seems out of the way, it would probably be better as some kind of attraction. Do you think they will build another park ? I think Pixar and Star Wars could of had their own parks there’s enough material there .

Good point, I don’t think the old water park site is a good place for another hotel. It seems out of the way, it would probably be better as some kind of attraction. Do you think they will build another park ? I think Pixar and Star Wars could of had their own parks there’s enough material there .
I honestly think they should build elsewhere around bay lake. You don’t realize how massive the shoreline is until you really scope it out in person.

Also another park is unlikely at least in the foreseeable future. There’s a lot of reasons behind that

I honestly think they should build elsewhere around bay lake. You don’t realize how massive the shoreline is until you really scope it out in person.

Also another park is unlikely at least in the foreseeable future. There’s a lot of reasons behind that

I agree it’s not as likely, even if there is enough land between Epcot and bay lake, a fifth gate is unlikely unless Disney gets into a big pissing match with Comcast and decides they want to kill them in the theme park market in Orlando as a opening salvo. But again this is unlikely. In saying that I am really hopeing that the new build has a top quality pool theming with a throw back to the old water park.

I agree it’s not as likely, even if there is enough land between Epcot and bay lake, a fifth gate is unlikely unless Disney gets into a big pissing match with Comcast and decides they want to kill them in the theme park market in Orlando as a opening salvo. But again this is unlikely. In saying that I am really hopeing that the new build has a top quality pool theming with a throw back to the old water park.
See I think they can put a foot on Comcast’s throat just by building out the existing parks. If you look at the estimated attendance numbers from this past year, universal struggled simply from the opening of pandora. Universal needs a third gate desperately I feel to take on Disney head to head. And I think they need to put some original atrractions in and not just shoehorn mediocre IPs

Oh I agree Universal needs a third gate and the signs are pointing to just that. Yet I can see Disney waiting till Universal announces a third gate. Which of course will further exasperate the labor shortage of the Orlando area and then Disney because of the construction companies they have already engaged for current and upcoming projects, which leaves a shortage of construction companies for Universal to engage for anther Park.

All Disney would need to do is to wait for Universal to announce another park and then announce one of there own to cause the construction costs of Universal to rise while Disney who already has a lot of projects on going can afford the slower build of a park to cause a major hit to Universal profits

Since DVC room are filled by purchased points, I don't see why it makes a difference what size rooms they build. They sold the points and made their money. The fact that you may want a studio and have to settle for a one bedroom doesn't bother them a bit. It will be interesting to see what the new DVD/DVC SVP comes up with.

:earsboy: Bill

Since DVC room are filled by purchased points, I don't see why it makes a difference what size rooms they build. They sold the points and made their money. The fact that you may want a studio and have to settle for a one bedroom doesn't bother them a bit. It will be interesting to see what the new DVD/DVC SVP comes up with.

Oh - this is completely true. BUT - disasified customers is not what you want. I haven't heard complaints about CCV rooms yet, but until the resort is sold out it likely doesn't become a problem.

Oh - this is completely true. BUT - disasified customers is not what you want. I haven't heard complaints about CCV rooms yet, but until the resort is sold out it likely doesn't become a problem.

There are plenty of dissatisfied DVC owners, they sell and someone takes their place, just look at the number of resale listings each year. If you were a company and had a customer under contract who is forced to use your product for 50 years, would you worry about keeping them happy or would you spend your efforts in making your company more money? Any negative customer complaints can often be erased by positive PR like offering membership magic.

There are plenty of dissatisfied DVC owners, they sell and someone takes their place, just look at the number of resale listings each year. If you were a company and had a customer under contract who is forced to use your product for 50 years, would you worry about keeping them happy or would you spend your efforts in making your company more money? Any negative customer complaints can often be erased by positive PR like offering membership magic.

Bad customer feedback is not something they desire as it could eventually hurt future sales. Plus satisfied customers buy more points. I understand your cynicism that they just don't care about you once it's sold - but I have a hard time believing that this is 100% the case.

And besides, it doesn't cost Disney more money to build more of the rooms as studios. And I'm not suggesting they should build 100% studios like they did at the Poly. What they should do is have about 20-25 % of the points as studios, another 20-25% as 1-bedrooms and the rest as 2-bedrooms and studios. Many of the resorts approach these numbers (BWV & AKV come to mind with having extra studios and lots of lock-off options.) If WE as knowledgable consumers can see that there is a shortage of studios and an overage of 1-bedrooms. (SSR one bedrooms are often still available days away.)

Anybody hear anything new about this possible resort?

Bad customer feedback is not something they desire as it could eventually hurt future sales. Plus satisfied customers buy more points. I understand your cynicism that they just don't care about you once it's sold - but I have a hard time believing that this is 100% the case.

And besides, it doesn't cost Disney more money to build more of the rooms as studios. And I'm not suggesting they should build 100% studios like they did at the Poly. What they should do is have about 20-25 % of the points as studios, another 20-25% as 1-bedrooms and the rest as 2-bedrooms and studios. Many of the resorts approach these numbers (BWV & AKV come to mind with having extra studios and lots of lock-off options.) If WE as knowledgable consumers can see that there is a shortage of studios and an overage of 1-bedrooms. (SSR one bedrooms are often still available days away.)

They will build what is most demanded for the direct sale, what makes them the most money, or what fits their business plan. At CCV there are a ton of points tied up in the cabins, they will sell out CCV but owners who want to stay in a studio will find that there is limited availability.

I just back from a quick trip to Disney World yesterday. I spoke to a DVC agent that confirmed two new resorts that will definitely be DVC properties. One will in fact be at the former River Country location and the other being at the entrance to Epcot. He told me that the Epcot hotel will not block Spaceship Earth and WILL have direct access to the monorail. It will be interesting to see if they're both completely DVC or just partially like some of the other deluxe resorts.

I just back from a quick trip to Disney World yesterday. I spoke to a DVC agent that confirmed two new resorts that will definitely be DVC properties. One will in fact be at the former River Country location and the other being at the entrance to Epcot. He told me that the Epcot hotel will not block Spaceship Earth and WILL have direct access to the monorail. It will be interesting to see if they're both completely DVC or just partially like some of the other deluxe resorts.

Interesting...depending on where we are at financially in 5 or so years, I'd be really interested in buying into either of these (well, once the monorail gets the upgrade it so desperately needs). Although, if the theme is right for the River Country one, that would probably win out.

I suspect DVC guides’ information about future DVC resorts is about as accurate as bus drivers’ information about everything Disney - which is to say not very accurate. It’s long been rumored that the former river country would become DVC and the Epcot entry hotel is certainly being considered although whether it has a DVC component is less clear, but until we see sight balloons followed by ground breaking, I won’t hold my breath.
Actually if I thought the Epcot entry DVC was a definite go I’d be slower to commit to Riviera. As it is, they’ll have to hit a home run at Riviera to tempt me, even though
I’d like to own an Epcot/DHS resort with a later end date than BC/BWV. DVC River country doesn’t interest me at all at this point - I own at VGF, so feel like I have the MK covered :)

I suspect DVC guides’ information about future DVC resorts is about as accurate as bus drivers’ information about everything Disney - which is to say not very accurate. It’s long been rumored that the former river country would become DVC and the Epcot entry hotel is certainly being considered although whether it has a DVC component is less clear, but until we see sight balloons followed by ground breaking, I won’t hold my breath.
Actually if I thought the Epcot entry DVC was a definite go I’d be slower to commit to Riviera. As it is, they’ll have to hit a home run at Riviera to tempt me, even though
I’d like to own an Epcot/DHS resort with a later end date than BC/BWV. DVC River country doesn’t interest me at all at this point - I own at VGF, so feel like I have the MK covered :)
Well the river country site does have permits at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter