Site inspections at River Country?

Based on the name, I would guess they're going for a Mediterranean Riviera theme... and from the artist concept drawings (turrets and garden style), probably Italian?
I thought the same thing! Not Caribbean at all

Just wait 6 months then buy it for 170 resale lol
The resale market cost will follow the new market cost. The higher the new points, the higher the re-sale points. DVC is now selling the "sold out" resorts for much higher than current CC costs.

The resale market cost will follow the new market cost. The higher the new points, the higher the re-sale points. DVC is now selling the "sold out" resorts for much higher than current CC costs.

You are correct, but normally at the 6 month window after a new resort is being sold you can find on the resale market higher point packages with steeper discounts. the OP theorized it would be 200 a point then more than likely it will be higher but thats my oppinion. Yet if we take the orignal posters 200 dollar estimate per point a 15 percent difference in Resale to Direct is well within the margin of error for being able to assume you will see resale points at that 170 window.

Again this is all conjecture but even for new resorts, with open availability a 15 percent difference in resale to direct is very conservative. There are times where in Disneys ROF they have let resale contracts go that are 30 percent or more.

In looking at WATG's website the design company for the new hotel it appears they have only done Disney's higher class resorts and specialize in high class resorts around the world.

Project 89 is becoming more and more an appropriate name. We previously speculated on the 89 DVC connection, but 1989 was also the year a Disney hotel was awarded a AAA four diamond award. The hotel? Grand Floridian, designed by WATG.

About the construction of GF: “The major issue was the soil conditions. The land was very wet and swampy, which is typical for soil and water table conditions in Florida and Walt Disney World. The site required thousands of cubic yards of fill that had to be carefully applied in layers so that it would not settle too rapidly.” (source: https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-spa-part-one/)

Sound familiar with the soil conditions?

A 2023 opening would be 35 years after GF and maybe that's long enough that Disney thinks it's time to try to one-up itself? Obviously this is all heavy speculation, but we may not be looking at a simple deluxe resort but something closer to GF. Wilderness Lodge has shown that Disney can get high rates for a MK hotel off the monorail, so they have some confidence a higher end, GF level hotel can charge even more. It's a finance wet dream: "You mean we may be able to charge more for the farthest MK hotel?"

Last edited:
Wilderness Lodge has shown that Disney can get high rates for a MK hotel off the monorail, so they have some confidence a higher end, GF level hotel can charge even more. It's a finance wet dream: "You mean we may be able to charge more for the farthest MK hotel?"

GF rooms, depending on season and night and type, are 50% to 80% more expensive than equivalent WL rooms. While there are other key differences (room size, dining, monorail, visual propinquity to MK) I'm not sure Disney has demonstrated that it in fact can get "high" rates for a MK hotel off the monorail. If this has been demonstrated, it's been demonstrated by Four Seasons--which, however, brings a very different brand to the party...

. Wilderness Lodge has shown that Disney can get high rates for a MK hotel off the monorail, so they have some confidence a higher end, GF level hotel can charge even more. It's a finance wet dream: "You mean we may be able to charge more for the farthest MK hotel?"

Wilderness Lodge rates are significantly lower than the 3 monorail resorts. Early indications also show that while there is likely to be cash rooms, the resort will likely be 50-75% DVC. I don't see them making a VGF level resort this far out of the way. (It's going to be a good 15 minute boat ride to MK, and not at all convenient to anywhere else. Nice resort yes, but VGF nice, I doubt that.

How's the Four Season's doing? Does anyone know if they are meeting their goals? With Project 89 being so close to the Fort, I'm not sure a high end resort would work there. I too am wondering about the theme of the resort. It can't be another WL.

How's the Four Season's doing? Does anyone know if they are meeting their goals? With Project 89 being so close to the Fort, I'm not sure a high end resort would work there. I too am wondering about the theme of the resort. It can't be another WL.
Last I heard they were. Not sure if anything has changed though.

Right-- the wilderness thing has been done to death. They have it covered.

Maybe they will use the campgrounds for their parking lot...

Have you seen the most recent rendering of the Riviera Resort? it doesn't look like the CBR at all (which is good)

It looks like a deluxe resort in the Caribbean. Which I assume is what they are going for.

Do either of you have a link to the latest renderings? My googling skills are failing me :) DBF and I think this might be the only resort we would consider purchasing direct in the next few years!

Do either of you have a link to the latest renderings? My googling skills are failing me :) DBF and I think this might be the only resort we would consider purchasing direct in the next few years!
There is only the one rendering from the original announcement so far.

There is a rendering at the Caribbean Resort that is different than what has been posted. I do not have a picture of it, sorry. I'll look

Thinking along the lines of the new resort being high-end and not on the monorail, what if it was on a gondola line? If not far-fetched to think of putting one from the location of this resort to MK or at least to the ticketing center.

I don't pretend to be privy to the issues to building new resorts (soil, space for runoff etc), but looking at aerials the eye test says that Bay Lake is underdeveloped. Disney long ago envisioned more rooms closer to MK, so while Wilderness Lodge certainly helped closed the gap left by the never-developed resorts, there likely still isnt the room capacity near MK that Disney would want. If they can't do more around Seven Seas Lagoon like originally planned, maybe they'll do more around Bay Lake. Again, I have no idea if it's even possible (still doing soil studies!), but it's at least plausible.

An article by DVCNews was just posted on their website regarding this project. Here is the lead in paragraph....

Website GrowthSpotter.com has publised new details on Disney's "Project 89", a new resort adjacent to Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campgrounds. Citing its own industry sources, GrowthSpotter claims that the property will reportedly feature 1340 "bays", of which 940 are reserved for Disney Vacation Club villas. A "bay" is a slot in the superstructure about the size and dimensions of a hotel room.

The article goes on to list the prestigious architectural firm of WATG as the designer (I believe this was posted previously in this thread). This firm does very high end projects including the Grand Floridian and Disney hotels abroad. The DVCNews article can be seen in its entirety here - https://dvcnews.com/index.php?optio...-for-river-country-dvc&catid=36:other-resorts

An article by DVCNews was just posted on their website regarding this project. Here is the lead in paragraph....

Website GrowthSpotter.com has publised new details on Disney's "Project 89", a new resort adjacent to Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort & Campgrounds. Citing its own industry sources, GrowthSpotter claims that the property will reportedly feature 1340 "bays", of which 940 are reserved for Disney Vacation Club villas. A "bay" is a slot in the superstructure about the size and dimensions of a hotel room.

The article goes on to list the prestigious architectural firm of WATG as the designer (I believe this was posted previously in this thread). This firm does very high end projects including the Grand Floridian and Disney hotels abroad. The DVCNews article can be seen in its entirety here - https://dvcnews.com/index.php?optio...-for-river-country-dvc&catid=36:other-resorts

All of that information is old news

Yes, please, let's squeeze some more hotel rooms in so we can squeeze more people into the parks.
That’s what I was thinking! I can understand a StarWars hotel for the new land and there’s a new DVC coming that’s close to that. There’s no off season now, adding thousands more is going to help the Magic how ? Are they going to build a 5th Park ? Pixar could handle a whole park !

That’s what I was thinking! I can understand a StarWars hotel for the new land and there’s a new DVC coming that’s close to that. There’s no off season now, adding thousands more is going to help the Magic how ? Are they going to build a 5th Park ? Pixar could handle a whole park !
I'm thinking that most new DVC members are already WDW vacationers and use DVC instead of the hotels. The last 2 DVC resorts were hotel conversions. Not saying that you are wrong with your assessments of the crowds.

For a moment, think about the 1,000+ hotels/timeshares/resorts that are in the greater Orlando area, most of which primarily exist to serve Disney and/or Universal. The addition of one more hotel will not even be discernible to your in-park experience.

We are seeing more expansion in terms of new rides, lands, etc. than ever before. Avatarland, Toy Story Land, Galaxie's Edge, EPCOT expansion, etc. are the things that will increase crowds - not a new hotel. Frankly, I'm glad they have some new hotels in the pipeline to help relieve the pending burden off the existing ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts