Size restrictions on Universal rides - annoying!

I've read through the thread and I think I'm maybe bigger than most posters at 360 pounds - I carry most of my weight round my belly.

We've got tickets for US in Hollywood and I'm just wondering which rides should I not even attempt to go on? I realise that Harry Potter is a big no-no. Can I still walk through the Harry Potter World then leave my girlfriend before she gets on the ride? Do most of the "riskier" rides for plus size people have test seats?

What rides will be safe?

US Hollywood has the same issues with Forbidden Journey, but they do have test seats outside. I've used the single rider line on FJ at USH many times and it generally goes pretty fast. You can also just go through the line with your girlfriend and then wait for her at the child swap area. My inlaws are both 300+ and are able to ride everything except FJ and Hippogriff, and the kids' ride in the Minion area.

USH’s Hippogriff is different than in Florida and is quite restrictive. Dh cannot ride either in Hollywood while he can ride Hippogriff in Florida. Just want you to know.

First post so go gentle I am off to Florida soon from the UK and must admit worried about some of the rides at universal. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 281lbs, mostly large all over. 44” waist and 48” chest. Although I and conceded about belly my thighs are also a problem - used to play a lot of rugby so have thighs like tree trunks. Any advice on large belly and legs??

First post so go gentle I am off to Florida soon from the UK and must admit worried about some of the rides at universal. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 281lbs, mostly large all over. 44” waist and 48” chest. Although I and conceded about belly my thighs are also a problem - used to play a lot of rugby so have thighs like tree trunks. Any advice on large belly and legs??

No judgement here friend. It all depends on how you carry your weight. We are all unique and different.

As was noted above there are test seats on rides like RRR, Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Dr. Dooms Fear Fall. Take advantage of those and see if you can ride. Sometimes its a none issue. The overall concern in a lot of these rides is that they want to make sure the overhead padded shoulder bar that is safety locked in place between your legs is secure especially with Rip Ride Rocket and Hulk as these are high speed roller coasters with loops. Dr. Dooms Fear Fall has a overhead padded shoulder bar also to secure you as you are rocketed upward. Forbidden Journey also has over head padded shoulder bar to secure you in your seat.

There is also a test seat for Escape from Gringotts. Escape and Mummy are fast moving twirling rides that you need the lap bar safely secured to protect you.

I think even if you can't ride a few of the rides there are still enough rides there you can ride that you will be ok.

Have a great trip pixiedust:

No judgement here friend. It all depends on how you carry your weight. We are all unique and different.

As was noted above there are test seats on rides like RRR, Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Dr. Dooms Fear Fall. Take advantage of those and see if you can ride. Sometimes its a none issue. The overall concern in a lot of these rides is that they want to make sure the overhead padded shoulder bar that is safety locked in place between your legs is secure especially with Rip Ride Rocket and Hulk as these are high speed roller coasters with loops. Dr. Dooms Fear Fall has a overhead padded shoulder bar also to secure you as you are rocketed upward. Forbidden Journey also has over head padded shoulder bar to secure you in your seat.

There is also a test seat for Escape from Gringotts. Escape and Mummy are fast moving twirling rides that you need the lap bar safely secured to protect you.

I think even if you can't ride a few of the rides there are still enough rides there you can ride that you will be ok.

Have a great trip pixiedust:

thanks for the reply - I am hoping to shift a few pounds before I go and will log what I can and cant do to help anyone else. Luckily for me I have a very outgoing personality in real life and don't get offended easily so using the test seats is no issue but my DW and DS's are all thinner than me and we want to be able to ride everything together.

Well, that’s how my ex (sigh...new development) is built, and alas he hasn’t been able to ride the big rides. Even rides like Mummy haven’t worked for him because he has to somehow fit his legs in between the upside-down U shaped lap bars.

But he’s 2” shorter and some pounds heavier than you, so there’s still a chance!! I’ve lost track of his weight (it’s a very sensitive subject for him anyway, and he’s also got a pituitary tumor that makes weight hard to shift) but he’s well in the 300s. Since you’re below that, definitely try.

And don’t wear tight or overly thick clothes. It’s the time for slippery nylon shorts like basketball shorts. You want to be able to bend where the restraint wants you to bend. :)

Well, that’s how my ex (sigh...new development) is built, and alas he hasn’t been able to ride the big rides. Even rides like Mummy haven’t worked for him because he has to somehow fit his legs in between the upside-down U shaped lap bars.

But he’s 2” shorter and some pounds heavier than you, so there’s still a chance!! I’ve lost track of his weight (it’s a very sensitive subject for him anyway, and he’s also got a pituitary tumor that makes weight hard to shift) but he’s well in the 300s. Since you’re below that, definitely try.

And don’t wear tight or overly thick clothes. It’s the time for slippery nylon shorts like basketball shorts. You want to be able to bend where the restraint wants you to bend. :)

Sorry to hear - my legs are a concern, possible more than belly TBH. At least with belly I can lose weight and suck it in a bit but there is nothing I can do about my legs, I use my cross trainer for an hour a day and burning off the pounds - roughly 4-5 lb per week on average so by the time we go I should hit 246 lbs but that has the downside of building up my legs even more - just cant win :rotfl:

Last edited:

Hi. Been looking up here about seat restrictions.
I’m a 5’10”, nearly 300lb, mostly muscles and big bones, I have a small belly 42” waist and has a broader shoulders.
I am between 50 and 52” chest size.
I want to say I fit in most rides, some a bit tight.

Spider-Man is fine.
Men in black and the Simpson ride is fine. So is the transformer ride.
Hulk is fine as I went on the modified seat and clicked in fine, a bit tight at the shoulder.
Mummy is fine, no problem.
Fast Furious is fine.
RRR is fine. Although their test seat give no indication of ok you can ride or no ride,
Harry Potter FJ is a bit tight, especially at the shoulders, the loading lady told me to relax my shoulders, keep arms down and it get three clicked with little help from her.
Dudley Do flume is a bit tight as I have long legs and they make it awkward by loading up full. I fit in fit but getting in and out is a challenge.
Harry Potter Gringotts is fine but those knee rest thing is a bit awkward, I have to shuffling my legs to get in and I fit in fine.
Jurassic drop is fine.
Most of them has test seats.
So far I have had no Walk of Shame yet, one of them nearly but made it in with help from staff and that was on Cheetah Hunt in Busch Garden.
Daniel.

I appreciated everyone’s responses to what they fit or had challenges with so I wanted to add my own.

I am 5’7” and 259 lbs. Size 40D, waist is 46” and hips 53”.

I rode most rides with no problem and just asked for modified seating on most rides. No one ever made me try out the test seats

FJ and Gringotts were comfortable. Mummy and Rip Ride Rocket were good. Hulk was the only ride that wasn’t super comfortable. I rode in a modified seat and it was tight on my hips since that is where I carry most weight.

I appreciated everyone’s responses to what they fit or had challenges with so I wanted to add my own.

I am 5’7” and 259 lbs. Size 40D, waist is 46” and hips 53”.

I rode most rides with no problem and just asked for modified seating on most rides. No one ever made me try out the test seats

FJ and Gringotts were comfortable. Mummy and Rip Ride Rocket were good. Hulk was the only ride that wasn’t super comfortable. I rode in a modified seat and it was tight on my hips since that is where I carry most weight.

I am a little shorter than you, but the same weight. I am hoping I can lose 15-20 lbs before we go (well, I am hoping for more, but that is doabale)...so it sounds like I have a good chance of fitting.
Thanks for sharing!

I am a little shorter than you, but the same weight. I am hoping I can lose 15-20 lbs before we go (well, I am hoping for more, but that is doabale)...so it sounds like I have a good chance of fitting.
Thanks for sharing!
I don’t think you will have any problem! I saw many people that looked larger than me getting on rides. Try not to stress about it! You will have a great time!

Some personal anecdotal information: I am borderline for the usual suspect rides, but if I stay well hydrated, I can ride all rides. If i get dehydrated and bloated, sometimes I cannot ride Gringott's because of the weird thigh-shin-belly puzzle for that ride. Good luck and have fun!

While I was here, thought id share my experience in case it helps anyone else out.

I'm 6'2" and 260 pounds but I carry it well so most people assume I weigh a bit less than that. Gringotts was the only ride I had any trouble on at all, but that was mostly due to height. It was doable but uncomfortable. If I was 2 inches taller it would have probably been a no-go for me.

Just got back. Female, 5'7 and 220. Apple shaped with my weight in my stomach. My hips and legs are small. I was able to ride everything. I rode FJ three times and all three times the cast member had to push down for another click; however, I felt like there was plenty of room. I also had to get one more push on RRR. I didn't sit in any modified seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter