Skipper Canteen - thoughts?

anorman

Greetings from The Great White North
We have reservations made for Skipper Canteen in the MK on our upcoming trip. I have been back and forth as to whether this is a good idea or not. Has anyone eaten here? What was your experience?

We like it. Service was good and the food was yummy. The CM at the check in was a bit rude but other than that it was a great experience. They were very willing to sub sides etc to get a meal everyone was happy with.

I hesitantly made a reservation here in December and we were very pleasantly surprised. Great service and really good food. Love the decor and the cheesy jokes. We will definitely be back.

I'm feeling the same way and I have a reservation for end of November, but I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of trying to set up a fast pass for Jungle Cruise (which I hear will be Jingle Cruise at that time) for right before the reservation so we can do them back to back. Hopefully it's all going to be as awesome as it seems!

I'm feeling the same way and I have a reservation for end of November, but I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of trying to set up a fast pass for Jungle Cruise (which I hear will be Jingle Cruise at that time) for right before the reservation so we can do them back to back. Hopefully it's all going to be as awesome as it seems!
That would be fun. If you include that you just got finished taking their tour (ride) in your conversation with your Skipper (waiter) I bet you can get some good interaction going

The theme and food are both top notch. I had the
S.E.A. Shu Mai pot stickers. Brilliant.

Baa Baa Berber Lamb Chops. Well cooked and very tasty.
Kungaloosh! Unique and worth the trip in and of itself.

Don't miss out on this new restaurant.

I did have to wait about 20min after my booking time for a table, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

I had the single best encounter with any cast member ever here. I was there alone (no one else in my family wanted to go) so I was looking around while my food was being prepared. My skipper noticed I was interested and we started talking about the history of the Jungle Cruse and the Adventurer's Club. He then took me on a tour of the entire place, showing me all the little details and hidden jokes and references to the AC, all while staying in character.

After the great tour I asked if there was any Skipper's Canteen merchandise available to buy. He told me there wasn't but would get me something. He comes back with a free dessert, and "Honorary Skipper" pin, a Canteen coaster signed by him with "Kungaloosh!" on it... and a golden FP to use anywhere on property! We took a picture together and I told him it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at Disney.

We have reservations made for Skipper Canteen in the MK on our upcoming trip. I have been back and forth as to whether this is a good idea or not. Has anyone eaten here? What was your experience?
We ate there in April. It's a lovely restaurant and the food was tasty.

Another yes vote from us! Ate there in March of this year, going back on our December trip. Everything we had was delicious and the cm's were wonderful!

We enjoyed it! Super themed and we took lots of pics. Food was fun and tasty! Family has requested it for our spring break trip!

Really enjoyed it last Fall and have an ADR for this year's trip. ps ask the CM at the podium to be seated in the S.E.A. room even if you need to wait for a few minutes until a table opens up. Worth it.

I hate to be the negative voice here, but I didn't enjoy it. The Char Siu Pork was plentiful, but had quite a bit of fat and gristle and didn't have a great taste. I also felt that my server was reciting lines off a script, rather than really getting into her "role." I was really looking forward to this meal too and hoped that I would enjoy it because I'm not a fan of MK table service restaurants. Such a disappointment!

Yes, Yes, Yes. We were hesitant about this eatery, as the food is different. We loved it there. DD had the whole fried fish and I had the head on shrimp. They were both very, very good.

We had a great CM, fantastic interaction and service. Highly recommend it.

I hate to be the negative voice here, but I didn't enjoy it. The Char Siu Pork was plentiful, but had quite a bit of fat and gristle and didn't have a great taste. I also felt that my server was reciting lines off a script, rather than really getting into her "role." I was really looking forward to this meal too and hoped that I would enjoy it because I'm not a fan of MK table service restaurants. Such a disappointment!

You're not the only one who didn't like it. Our server also seemed a bit wooden and only one of us liked what she had ordered. The was my mom - the Curried Vegetable Crew Stew. We all liked it too and several of us ate off her plate.

The other dishes we ordered:
Whole Fried Fish
Baa Baa Berber Lamb Chops
Tastes Like Chicken
Sustainable Fish

Maybe we ordered the wrong things though.

Mixed review from our family of five. Hubby and I enjoyed it as did our 13 year old our two older teens did not enjoy the food at all. Over the course of our vacation we ate at 11 sit down on site restaurants and this was the only one my older two teens complained about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts