Skipper Canteen - What do you think?

Jennyliztx

Earning My Ears
How is the Skipper Canteen? We’ve never tried it before but it actually has reservations available Thanksgiving week (unlike everything else), so we are tempted. Is it any good? Is there a negative reason it has availability?

I wasn't overly impressed with it. I would not go back again. That being said, I am not a fan of very spicy food and most of the options there are spicy. I was not aware of that when I made the reservation. I could not eat my food there and finally settled on an appetizer that was so-so. If you like very spicy food, then you should be fine. But otherwise be warned.

I liked it a lot. I actually didn't think any of the food was spicy at all. More flavorful than the usual Disney food, yes, but definitely not spicy. If you are very sensitive to spicy food then you might feel differently :)

My favorite thing to order there is the whole fried fish, which is usually great, but I did end up with a really sad & dried out fish once. I guess it depends on the luck of the draw, as most things do.

We all enjoyed our meal there. I ordered some kind of fish in a broth, which sounds strange. It was delicious!

I really liked it--a fun atmosphere and wasn't too crowded when i went. The food was different and interesting but not bad. I liked it enough that I'm going back next trip. :)

We had an enjoyable experience in April...We were seated in the butterfly booth in the S.E.A. room and our server, Darrin, was spot on with the corny joke schtick....he had a pun for everything! The food was fine...nobody's favorite, but no one left hungry. I took a walk around the restaurant...if we return next trip I will request to be seated in the Falls Family Parlor (or in the S.E.A. Room again)....I am not sure the experience would be as fun in the large "Mess Hall."

I've eaten there twice and loved it both times. Be aware that it relies heavily on the Jungle Cruise style, so the menu items have names like "tastes like chicken because it is" and your servers may really act like Jungle Cruise skippers. For me that's part of the fun. And I do think the food is quite good.

We had an enjoyable experience in April...We were seated in the butterfly booth in the S.E.A. room and our server, Darrin, was spot on with the corny joke schtick....he had a pun for everything! The food was fine...nobody's favorite, but no one left hungry. I took a walk around the restaurant...if we return next trip I will request to be seated in the Falls Family Parlor (or in the S.E.A. Room again)....I am not sure the experience would be as fun in the large "Mess Hall."

We were there in April as well and in the SEA room. Unfortunately, we didn't get any of the bad jokes. the other 2 times, we have been in the large "Mess Hall" and it isn't as nice. Although there is a lot to look at. Have not been in the Falls Family Parlor, next time maybe.

I liked it a lot. I actually didn't think any of the food was spicy at all. More flavorful than the usual Disney food, yes, but definitely not spicy. If you are very sensitive to spicy food then you might feel differently :)

My favorite thing to order there is the whole fried fish, which is usually great, but I did end up with a really sad & dried out fish once. I guess it depends on the luck of the draw, as most things do.

Hey, ChanduTail, I love your username and your avatar! Follow the Compass of your Heart! ;)

As for Skipper Canteen, the food is great, though the corny jokes do vary from server to server. I would love to sit in the SEA room, but so far I've only ever been in the main room. I actually find the deserts here better thn th emain dishes, so save some room.

Hey, ChanduTail, I love your username and your avatar! Follow the Compass of your Heart! ;)

As for Skipper Canteen, the food is great, though the corny jokes do vary from server to server. I would love to sit in the SEA room, but so far I've only ever been in the main room. I actually find the deserts here better thn th emain dishes, so save some room.

We had only been in the Mess Hall in the past. This last time, when we checked in, we asked to be seated in one of the smaller rooms, told them we didn't mind waiting and it worked. The SEA room was great.

Thanks! :goodvibes Chandu is my favorite so it's always exciting when someone knows who he is. :rotfl:

Thanks! :goodvibes Chandu is my favorite so it's always exciting when someone knows who he is. :rotfl:

I loved that ride and listen to the song frequently. Did you know it was written by Alan Menkin? I've always felt Sinabd and Chandu could be better used, like maybe as a Disney Channel or Disney Jr. show. I really want to go back to Tokyo Disney at some point and Chandu is a big reason why. :)

I loved that ride and listen to the song frequently. Did you know it was written by Alan Menkin? I've always felt Sinabd and Chandu could be better used, like maybe as a Disney Channel or Disney Jr. show. I really want to go back to Tokyo Disney at some point and Chandu is a big reason why. :)
I love the song too! I actually had no idea until we picked up an album of TDS attraction music & I was so surprised to see his name there. It made complete sense, though - the song is great.

I hope you will make it back. Sinbad is one of the most underrated attractions. There's never any line. Oh well - more Chandu for us :)

I like SC a lot. I like the "Tastes Like Chicken" the best of the items I've tried. I don't think the food is overly spicy, but I'm the person who carries individual packets of cayenne pepper with them to add to food, so I may not be the best judge of spicy. If you want to compare it to Yak and Yeti or Nine Dragons, I don't like it quite as much as those two (both of which I love and would tie for first choice) but it's a solid second place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter