Skipper Canteen - What do you think?

Not a great experience (portions, seasonings) when they first opened but I’m trying it again in August! Everybody deserves a second chance!

Acknowledging first that the Magic Kingdom probably has the worse table service restaurants in all the parks, we do enjoy Skippers Canteen. We've found that appetizers are where they really shine and enjoy taking a nice break from the parks and sharing several plates. Favs include the noddle salad, falafel, and shu mai.

I went in Jan. 2017 and had a poor experience, mostly due to my waiter. He didn't crack any of the jokes and was completely condescending. I went for a late night dinner and barely anyone was in the restaurant, so it seemed pretty dead there. The chef was wonderful and came out to speak to me about my dietary needs. I ordered the vegetable curry, which imo was the best curry I've ever had. Overall, the menu doesn't impress me and there's nothing that shouts unique. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but even this menu for me is a little too exotic. It's okay, but I could really only pick out 3 things at most I would like. Most other menus I pretty much like everything. I definitely think it's worth trying, but don't come in with high expectations.

It’s a nice break from the standard theme park food. Everyone in my family enjoyed their meal (and I travel with a picky vegetarian with allergies, a stick in the mud, a glutton, and two kids).
Check out the menu and imagine what each person in your group would enjoy eating. If you can match everyone up with a good meal then you’re all set.

I liked it a lot better before the most recent menu changes. They got rid of a few dishes I liked and replaced them with things I won't eat. I also with they'd bring back the yuca fries that used to come with the steak.

I wasn't overly impressed with it. I would not go back again. That being said, I am not a fan of very spicy food and most of the options there are spicy. I was not aware of that when I made the reservation. I could not eat my food there and finally settled on an appetizer that was so-so. If you like very spicy food, then you should be fine. But otherwise be warned.

What a strange comment...none of the food there is spicy. At all.

From the menu, I can see how people might think the food was spicy. I thought the food uses a lot of spices that many people don't necessarily normally cook with or eat. I thought the food had more flavor and spice to it, but not really spicy/hot. That is subjective and what I don't consider hot/spicy, others may.

My family of 5 (2 picky eaters/ 3 adventurous) ate there in August of 2017 and again in May of 2018. We had wonderful service and the food was very well prepared both times. I was so happy when I ordered my lamb rare and it actually was! 3 in the family ordered steak- 2 med. rare and 1 med. well and they were all cooked properly also. We'll definitely eat there again on our next visit.

I wasn't overly impressed with it. I would not go back again. That being said, I am not a fan of very spicy food and most of the options there are spicy. I was not aware of that when I made the reservation. I could not eat my food there and finally settled on an appetizer that was so-so. If you like very spicy food, then you should be fine. But otherwise be warned.

Do you mean spiced (as in seasoned), or spicy (as in hot). Looking at the menu, only one entree says "spicy" but all the rest SHOULD be spiced, as in seasoned. I love spicy, so I am good either way, but from all the reviews, it doesn't sound like the food is typically spicy...

We have an ADR for Sept that I am very nervous about bc we arent adventous eaters but I adore the Jungle Cruise and Adventures Club, I am thinking of getting the steak or chicken and asking for potatos and broccoli as my sides instead (kids menu has them so I know I can get it)

My 18yo son and I tried this for the first time last week...we really REALLY enjoyed it. We got the Shu Mai appetizer which we both enjoyed. I just got the Jungle Green Salad which was a bit unique but delicious. My son likes some spice and got the Perkins Thai Noodles. He liked them and I tried a few bites...it wasn't overly spicy to me either. Our server Roy (Ray?) was FANTASTIC, cracked lots of jokes, we totally enjoyed our time there. I think we'd love to go back again. It might have to be added to our July trip.

Thanks you guys! I think we will give it a shot. My oldest LOVES Jungle Cruise so it sounds like it has some similar themes and we love spicy food. The suggestions about requesting a certain seating area are also awesomely helpful!

DW and I _LOVE_ Skipper Canteen. Not everyone loves rack of lamb, but we love it there. We have tried several other dishes and have always found it very good.

Servers have been very engaging and fun.

There are several seating areas, including rooms in the back, and they are worth exploring, because the theming and decor are so cool. We usually check in with them an hour before our seating time and request the butterfly table. It's way cool.

We didn't have a great experience and will not go back. The service was great; the food not so much. We're adventurous eaters and my wife ordered the whole fried fish but it was just totally dried out. She had to send it back (and that never happens). My steak was overcooked. Granted it was late -- the park closed just as we were leaving. On the plus side, the decor is awesome. Take time to look at all the little things.

0D899034-291F-4862-B40B-EB0DB3591FB1.jpeg
DW and I _LOVE_ Skipper Canteen. Not everyone loves rack of lamb, but we love it there. We have tried several other dishes and have always found it very good.

Servers have been very engaging and fun.

There are several seating areas, including rooms in the back, and they are worth exploring, because the theming and decor are so cool. We usually check in with them an hour before our seating time and request the butterfly table. It's way cool.

We got the butterfly table first trip and it was such a nice place to enjoy our meal

Glad to hear the great reviews, my DD wants to try this place during her graduation trip next summer. I have watched a couple youtube videos and the skippers look like they will be a lot of fun, can't wait to eat here for the first time :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter