Skipper Canteen - What do you think?

We have been twice and enjoyed it both times. The CMs do a good job of overspilling the JC antics to the place, but that wouldn't draw me back in as much as the food being good

I really liked it--a fun atmosphere and wasn't too crowded when i went. The food was different and interesting but not bad. I liked it enough that I'm going back next trip. :)
I'll go a bit further and say our food was excellent. Our server was wonderful - really into the shtick. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was very cold on the night we were there. The day was hot and WDW has a tendency to over air condition on those type of days. It was so cold inside we didn't stay for dessert.

We enjoy the food and have been twice. My only disappoint is that the servers aren't as funny as the Jungle Cruise captainso_O I guess they are servers though, not Jungle Cruise captains. I would eat there again in a minute. I really like the sustainable fish. It's flavorful and light and makes you feel like you are eating a bit healthy and getting veggies.

Do you mean spiced (as in seasoned), or spicy (as in hot). Looking at the menu, only one entree says "spicy" but all the rest SHOULD be spiced, as in seasoned. I love spicy, so I am good either way, but from all the reviews, it doesn't sound like the food is typically spicy...

Spicy meaning hurt my mouth. But i am a spicy wimp and even mild spicy can be too spicy for me. I don't mind spices to give food flavor but heat spicy is a no go for me and i find the food here just too much for my taste.

What a strange comment...none of the food there is spicy. At all.
I don't think my comment was strange at all. The OP asked for opinions and i gave mine. Nothing strange about that all. I thought the food i was served was spicy and voiced my opinion on it. What is strange is you calling my post strange. Looking to cause some drama?

The food is some of the highest quality in MK, I know that's not saying much but it's probably the only place in MK we're excited to eat at. The whole fried fish is excellent, albeit intimidating for some, cachapas are excellent. The desserts are fantastic as well. Both the Coconut Lime Bar and the Kungaloosh.

Server luck has been 3/3 with great servers, only 2 of which are still there, one moved to 1900 PF.

It's now how we start every trip to WDW.

I really enjoyed the food. My husband, not so much. I had gluten free fried chicken, which is very, very hard to find. My husband had pork, but felt it was just okay. Neither of us liked what seemed like food coloring used to obtain the color.

We didn't find it spicy/hot, but fully flavorful. But I can see where some people would since we are both getting up there and tend to spice up our food a little bit more than we did 20 years ago.

I wasn't impressed with my server, but it was simply because she seemed to disappear for long stretches.

I don't think my comment was strange at all. The OP asked for opinions and i gave mine. Nothing strange about that all. I thought the food i was served was spicy and voiced my opinion on it. What is strange is you calling my post strange. Looking to cause some drama?

You said that MOST of the food there is spicy and you used the term "very spicy" twice. That's just not accurate. They have a bunch of things that are not spicy at all.

It’s a nice break from the standard theme park food. Everyone in my family enjoyed their meal (and I travel with a picky vegetarian with allergies, a stick in the mud, a glutton, and two kids).
Check out the menu and imagine what each person in your group would enjoy eating. If you can match everyone up with a good meal then you’re all set.

Anything that strays from the standard theme park fare designed for children and picky eaters is always welcomed, IMO. No need to rehash the same common foodstuffs under a different roof.

You said that MOST of the food there is spicy and you used the term "very spicy" twice. That's just not accurate. They have a bunch of things that are not spicy at all.
As i have already explained i have a very low tolerance for spicy heat in my food and am self admittedly a spice wimp. So something that may not be spicy to you could be extremely spicy to me. Just because you don't find the food spicy for your tastes does not invalidate that food was spicy for my tastes. As i said she asked for opinions and i gave her mine. Why you feel the need to discredit my opinion is beyond me but please move on.

We've never been but have an ADR. I know spice can be of issue for my husband so we'll make sure to ask the staff if they can omit it during preparation. He's not a big fan of spicy food either and since his chemo treatment it's a big no no. Thanks @disneybeautyfnp for the reminder!

Last edited:
The Skipper Canteen was a great meal. I eaten there twice so far. The lamb chops (if that's your kinda thing) were great!

We went there for dinner last year during the Halloween party and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a nice quiet place and the food was very good. Recently we talked about wanting to go back there again. Wish the menu or a little more varied though. Service was great

I went last September for my 1st Solo Trip and I can say it was one of my favorite meals of my whole trip. I had the whole fish which was cooked to perfection. I believe it was a snapper at that time. I also had the Shu mai as an appetizer very good and the Coconut bar for Dessert which was great those little Meringues I could have used some more of on the plate lol. I highly recommend it.

20170921_124147.jpg 20170921_122850.jpg 20170921_130041.jpg

We were there last Tuesday for dinner and loved it! For starters, the theming is just incredible (as expected), but we were also pleased with the service and enjoyed all our food. Shu Mai and soup for starters, "Tastes like Chicken" and sustainable fish for the adults, mac&cheese and crispy chicken for the kids, Volcano dessert, it was all good for the Kaleidofam.

I went last September for my 1st Solo Trip and I can say it was one of my favorite meals of my whole trip. I had the whole fish which was cooked to perfection. I believe it was a snapper at that time. I also had the Shu mai as an appetizer very good and the Coconut bar for Dessert which was great those little Meringues I could have used some more of on the plate lol. I highly recommend it.

View attachment 330896 View attachment 330897 View attachment 330898

Those are amazing food photos! Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter