Skippers Canteen Another Thank You To Posteres Here

KenHutch

DIS Veteran
I thought I would write another small review of a place we ate at this past June and today I thought I would review Skippers Canteen. First a big thank you to all of the posters who said this was a good place. We loved it, We had lunch there just my daughter and I will all of the others went to Universal. I had the Hot and Sour soup (which I loved) and Gwen had the Shiriki Noodle Salad. Both appetizers were incredibly tasty. We both had the steak, we are major carnivores and she had the Kungolooshi (hope I spelled that rigft) and I had the Cocunut Bar for desert. We tried each others deserts to I can attest to the fact that both are good. The place was no full which is sad because if not enough people go there they will turn it into another boring standard burger place. The variety you can have here is great. The staff was good and very friendly and after finding out we were there while everyone else was at Universal she looked at us very seriously and asked us how we escaped being taken to an evil place like Universal. This place is already on my list for the 2021 trip.

Great review, our whole group loves this place, was first on the return ressies requests from all 8. I yielded to my love of dim sum, and ordered the tasty dumplings as my entree! Spend some time examining the book titles in the library on the way to the bathroom!!

Good info, thanks. I am a very adventurous eater, my husband and DS 14, not so much. I'm trying to figure out if we should take a chance. They would most likely order the steak too. How was the sauce on the steak?

Sadly we did not enjoy this when we ate there in October of 2016. Maybe we were just there too close to opening that they hadn't worked out all the bugs. I love the concept and would try again, DH not so much. Do they still do the bread with the honey dip? I didn't love it, I feel like the honey needed some cool spices, but that's just me, I like salty sweet together. My DH ordered the shrimp with the heads on and he couldn't even eat, it was so fishy. Shrimp has a taste all it's own, but it tasted so bad it was inedible and let me tell you, Shrimp any way prepared is my favorite food and even I couldn't eat it. Anyway, glad to hear you all enjoyed it, might have to give it another try in the future.

This spring break, my kids and I enjoyed it so much we ate here twice! For lunch, it's so nice to be waited on and get out of the crowds for an hour. First time, youngest and I shared the Thai noodles and the curry. We agreed we loved the noodles, liked the curry, and it was too much food! Oldest had the pork dish with rice and broccolini. We all shared falafel. Oldest (now 21) and I enjoyed some wine, while youngest who loves sweets had some green soda type thing. Second time, we pretty much ordered same thing, only skipped the curry, as youngest and I don't like to eat a lot at one time so shared the noodles. We found our server second time hilarious, and the atmosphere is lovely.

I'm taking DH next month (just the two of us) for a short 5 night trip. I booked a lunch for us so he can enjoy it (and it works well with our FP+ scheduled). Lunchtime can get busy, so I'd like to have a sit down lunch often now.

I don't understand why it doesn't fill up more, but won't question it! Our second time, we were leaving Winnie the Pooh, I pulled it up on the app, made an ADR, then we strolled over. By the time we got there it was in their system.

I had the opportunity to try this place in June 2016 and didn't, and then regretted it. Now looking forward to my ADR in January 2019 to make up for it!

Great review and I completely agree with you. You ALL need to go eat there, it's an awesome place and it would be a tragedy if it were revamped.

Absolutely excellent food and great service (April was my server). I ate there twice on my last trip.

The first time, I had the marinated grilled pork served with Chinese broccoli and jasmine rice which was so rich in flavour and make sure you get the Punch Line Punch WITH the spicy rim. I'm not sure what was in that rim (salt and spice) but I licked the glass clean, it was so good!

I didn't like the Tastes like Chicken dish the second time I ate there but I dislike chicken in general. This really was proof that you've got to order things based on YOUR taste, not popularity. This has happened to me a few times - a dish sounded good to me but I went for the popular option (Whispering Canyon Cafe's breakfast skillet, I'm looking at you, I should have ordered the housemade banana bread French toast), not wanting to miss out, and I ended up disappointed. On that second day, I should have ordered the steak, the lamb or the thai noodles.

My favourite table service option in MK and very easy to grab (I only booked it day of and never got a problem). The theming inside is awesome and it never seems to be full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!