slo’s FRIDAY 5/3 poll - Firefighters 🚒 🧑‍🚒

Who are firefighters in your life? (m.c.)

• My Husband

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • My Wife

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Boyfriend or Girlfriend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Dad or Mom

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • My Son or Daughter

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • My Grandchild

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • An Extended Family Member

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • A Friend(s)

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I don’t know any firefighters

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
Tomorrow is International Firefighters Day, so let’s talk about the firefighters in our lives. They are a special, brave and incredible people who are running into dangerous situations when we are running out. These people are heros and deserve a day dedicated to them. So tell us…..

Who are firefighters in your life?
(multiple choice)

For Me…..My DH was a volunteer firefighter & EMT for about 15yrs. Even though he retired he still keeps all his certifications up in the event he’s needed and wants to return. People don’t realize what life is like for the volunteer firefighters and their families. During that time, I was like a single mom because he went to his day job all day and then was on call with the fire dept when he was home, and because of that, he wasn’t home much. At the time he got paid $11 a call regardless how long he was on it - if it was a house fire that took many hours, he only got $11, so it really was volunteer - you don’t become a volunteer firefighter for the money, you do it to save lives and property. They do so much and they truly are heros. I’ll be forever proud of my DH for everything he sacrificed to be a hero for other people. He doesn’t see himself as a hero though, because he’s humble, but trust me, I know what he did for others, and he’s a hero ❤️

In addition to my DH, my neighbor was a firefighter with my DH. A good friend was also a firefighter with my DH and he still is a firefighter today.

View attachment 856618
Thank you for your family's service. 🙏 :-)

• Love
Reactions: slo
I checked of extended family member. My Son in Law is a full time FF/EMT and a very dedicated one. He’s received several commendations over the years and we are all very proud of him.

Small town here. We know all our firefighters. DH was even a volunteer firefighter wayyy back in the day.

Here's to the Firefighters!! :thumbsup2
Does anyone here live where there are still volunteer firefighters? The small town I grew up in had all volunteer firefighters. I think if you were a chief you got paid. I remember it being a really fun part of life. the different crews would hold competitions and the whole community came out to see it. I really doubt it's still like that now, even there.

Friends and neighbors. Every town I have lived in thus far has had volunteer firefighters.

My son, Vince, is a firefighter/paramedic. Full time now for about 22 years. A couple years part time when he was starting out.

He was in his third year in college back in 1999 I guess it was, general business curriculum. When it was time to take him back to school (in Iowa) after Christmas break was over in January, he pops up and says, I don't think I want to go back. We...Really?!?! Okay, what do you want to do? He replies, I think I want to be a firefighter, I want to help others. We said, well, that's great, but you have to go after it, tough job to get, but you can do it. So he pursued various openings and rigorous written, physical and psychological testing at a number of departments. At the time, if there were like 3 openings on a department, there would be like 125 applicants vying for the jobs. Vince did take on a full time job at an employee benefits firm while he was trying to secure the FF job.

Finally, he was able to hire on at a smaller nearby department that had all part-time FF's. After about 6 months there, he took a leave of absence and enrolled at one of the nearby teaching hospitals for 2 semesters, about 39 credit hours, of paramedic school/training. Paramedic status is required here to be hired on to a department.

Soon after that he was hired on to another nearby department, there for about 10 years and then moved to a different department. There, over the next 6 years, he progressed from a blue shirt to a lieutenant to a captain. And then returned to his prior department, having to move back down to a blue shirt. But that was/is his home. See below.

I make it a point to stop by the firehouse several times a year when I know he is there. His shift, like true with all firefighters, is his second family. With my stopping by every so often (with goodies of course, ranging from just doughnuts and coffee cake to slabs of ribs), I have kind of become like 'adopted family' with the guys and ladies of his shift (2 female FF/PP on his shift). They make me stay for several hours always. Great people!!! And it is stunning to watch them all 'in action', when a call comes in. We're all sitting there, talking, watching TV, having coffee or whatever, and the alarm sounds. Vince will yell to me, so long, dad, gotta go, see ya, lock up. Honestly, regardless what is going on at the moment, they are pulling out of the fire house in less than 30 seconds. I'm standing there with my mouth open, amazed every time. I'm alone there in an instant. I hit the lights and leave, hoping, praying for safety.

We are very proud of our FF/PM Vince. :love:

View attachment 856667

At an open house, about 15 years ago.

View attachment 856670

Cold water/ice rescue training. Training for everything is non-ending
View attachment 856672
Taking his daughter, our granddaughter, Delaney, to the station for time with daddy, maybe a future FF/PM
View attachment 856674

Actually, maybe Vince had some early inclinations of his future career of helping others. About age 2 or 3. :firefight

View attachment 856668

Okay, that's it. I get carried away at times, haha :laughing:

View attachment 856675
Thank you for the thank you :goodvibes
And a big thank you for posting all your pictures. I’m sure you are so proud of your son. Thank you to him and his entire department for all they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter