So how does everyone else remain calm in the operating room?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I am probably having surgery soon.
It wouldn't be the first time (last surgery was 6 years ago though) and I know "the drill" but I still get anxious and I know its normal but that foreboding feeling drives me nuts.

The day of I'm hungry and dehydrated, then I get really cold and shaky.
I have found that if I wear fuzzy socks very my regular socks that does help with the cold and shaky part.
I start getting nervous about getting the IV not because I'm squeamish but because its always hard for them to get a vein so either they are smacking my hand for 10 minutes or they poke me 5 times.

I can actually manage to suppress the anxiety pretty well during all that BUT then comes the O.R.
It feels like "there's no turning back now muahahaha" and suddenly fight or flight kicks in because I don't like the lack of control I have from that point forward.
My reaction is more mental than physical. I want to cry and I feel sick to my stomach.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Have you found any techniques that help calm you so you can kinda just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I'd love to find a way to be chill about it instead of feeling and probably looking like everyone is trying to kill me lol.

Last edited:
I can't help you. I had the same experience the one time I had surgery. I freaked out and was shaking and trying to get up. They started anesthesia and said to count back from ten, but then I struggled, kicked over something that made a lot of noise (tray of instruments maybe?) then I heard "just put him out!" And out I went, before the ten count. It was unpleasant. I'm a high strung sort anyway and I don't know that I could have relaxed more under any circumstances.

I can't help you. I had the same experience the one time I had surgery. I freaked out and was shaking and trying to get up. They started anesthesia and said to count back from ten, but then I struggled, kicked over something that made a lot of noise (tray of instruments maybe?) then I heard "just put him out!" And out I went, before the ten count. It was unpleasant. I'm a high strung sort anyway and I don't know that I could have relaxed more under any circumstances.

Yikes. My reaction is a bit less physical and more mental because I almost cry and feel like I'm gonna puke vs actually attempting to fight back or flea.

Yikes. My reaction is a bit less physical and more mental because I almost cry and feel like I'm gonna puke vs actually attempting to fight back or flea.

I'd have jumped out the window, my hospital gown flapping in the wind if I could have! It wasn't even a major surgery, just a little something on my ear. Of course, a few months after I had that surgery I was watching a Dateline about a lady who died during the same procedure! They don't exactly instill confidence when they come in with a magic marker and tell you to draw an X on your face on the side with the problem. Also, my anesthesiologist was a character and was being very irreverent the whole time. When I was wheeled into the OR he looked down at me and said "Welcome to the chamber of horrors!" in that maniacal voice. A Nurse sort of hit him and told him to be quiet. I actually can't be 100% sure all of that happened since they had already given me that primer drug that gets you pretty loopy.

Okay, so none of that is probably helping you, but at least you know there's someone who has an even worse time of it. Good luck!

I never get nervous. I guess I'm weird. When I had my emergency appendectomy they had to take me in wide awake because the nurses couldn't get my IV in. The anesthesiologist was having a hard time, too, so he was working on one arm & the surgeon was slapping my other arm while I was stretched out like Jesus on the cross. They had rock music blasting like you see on tv shows. I thought it was funny :)

I get nervous and have had many a surgery. The IV is always the worst part for me, I've asked them if they can knock me out with a mask with the "funny gas" like they give kids and then put in the IV, they've done that in the past.

Good luck!

No advice, but lots of sympathy. I have a really hard time with anesthesia; specifically, coming out of it. Even if it's only a 20-30 minute surgery, it's hard to wake me up, and I usually come out of it crying and vomiting, despite not having eaten in at least 15 hours, and the room is spinning in every single direction. My very first surgery, I didn't wake up for TWO DAYS. But I go out very easily, pretty much as soon as I lie down and they put the mask on me (and unfortunately I can actually remember falling asleep. It's not like when you fall asleep in your own bed at night; I remember my eyes rolling back in my head and everything going black). EVERY SINGLE TIME I get told, "You were probably given too much, but you know, your weight..."

:grouphug:

A bit of vein advice (I have no usable veins so now I have a port)..

Ask them to wrap your arms in heated blankets for about 10-15 minutes. That should plump up your veins so they may be easier to see.

No advice, but lots of sympathy. I have a really hard time with anesthesia; specifically, coming out of it. Even if it's only a 20-30 minute surgery, it's hard to wake me up, and I usually come out of it crying and vomiting, despite not having eaten in at least 15 hours, and the room is spinning in every single direction. My very first surgery, I didn't wake up for TWO DAYS. But I go out very easily, pretty much as soon as I lie down and they put the mask on me (and unfortunately I can actually remember falling asleep. It's not like when you fall asleep in your own bed at night; I remember my eyes rolling back in my head and everything going black). EVERY SINGLE TIME I get told, "You were probably given too much, but you know, your weight..."

:grouphug:

This was me too. Coming out of it was the worst! The anesthesiologist told me I'd just have a hangover. I told him that I've never had a hangover. He looked at me and said, "Oh," then just walked away. I swear, if that's a hangover, I can't understand why anyone would voluntarily put themselves through that! It was outpatient too, and they were trying to get me to wake up and then leave almost immediately as they needed the bed. They forced me to eat this ice cream and tried to wheel me out though I vomited quite a bit. It was so awful!

A bit of vein advice (I have no usable veins so now I have a port)..

Ask them to wrap your arms in heated blankets for about 10-15 minutes. That should plump up your veins so they may be easier to see.

I had surgery this past October, and they did this as part of the routine. And my veins are always easy for them to get!

Once they get the IV in, ask them for something to calm you. They should have no problem giving you something to take the edge off of your anxiety. You could always ask for a pill ahead of time too.

Oh, and they also put an inflatable, heated blanket on me. Again, seemed to be part of the routine. I was nice and warm. Maybe that will be something new they do for you.

I’ve had four surgeries, I was awake when they brought me to the OR (not counting enoscopies, colonoscopies, wisdom teeth removal). The easiest was my emergency appendectomy, I was in the OR a half hour after they told me it had to come out. I hate the holding area right before the OR for scheduled surgeries, all alone, nothing to do.

I’m pretty good at waking up, the trick is deep breaths to get it out of your system.

Totally have the same issue. It's anxiety. I'm usually laying there with a heart rate of 120. It's awful.

I have had surgery only once and the experience of being put to sleep was so bad that afterward I swore to myself that I would rather die than be put under anesthesia again. The memory has faded a bit over the last few years and I don't know if I still feel exactly the same way about it, but I have put off having a wisdom tooth out that really, really needs to come out because the dentist wanted to put me under for it. I think if I ever need surgery again I will have to talk to my doctor about prescribing some fast-acting anxiety meds for the day-of jitters, maybe you could try that? Do you have someone who can come with you to keep you distracted before the surgery? The one and only time I've ever had to have an MRI they gave me some kind of magical pill to dissolve under my tongue and it took the edge off the fear, kind of like I had a couple drinks? Maybe they could give you something like that?

Ask if you can listen to music with headphones/earbuds. Choose something relaxing and try to zone out.

Studies have shown that music can help reduce pain and anxiety in patients before, during and after surgery.

I do ok before surgery but have trouble coming out of anesthesia. Last time I felt like I couldn't breathe and started hyperventilating. I rhink they knocked me out again because I didn't wake up again for hours:laughing:.

Maybe try some deep breathing exercises and sing some calming song in your head.

Good luck.

I also request that they not tell me when I'm going under. That works the best for me. One sec I'm talking, then the room is fuzzy and boom...I'm waking up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter