So how does everyone else remain calm in the operating room?

Versed.

Every surgeon I’ve ever had gives me this just before they wheel me back. I am lucid enough to climb onto the table, but I never remember much after that.

Add me to the list of people who ask for Versed. I've got high tolerance for benzos, Ativan and Xanax don't do a lot for me, but an IV shot of that stuff sure helps. I wish my dentist could administer it. Laughing gas is nothing in comparison.

Versed worked well for me during my IVF procedure. Before they did the egg retrieval, I told the nurse I was really nervous. Then she put on the monitors and my heart rate was in the 140s and my BP was high. She gave me the versed and the last real thing I remember was hearing the machine heart rate beeps slow down and I felt so relaxed. It really does work.

I'm another odd one, surgery doesn't phase me at all. The doctor usually gives a dose of versed and it's very calming.

Obnoxious patients she can’t stand?
Hope this was a joke
Because it’s her Job....Eek!

They’re still obnoxious. We just put on a happy face and fake the funk. I have a few patients i can’t stand. Actually no one can stand. But we all put on a fake face and do Rock Paper Scissors on who has to deal with them this time.

I turn into a blubbering, sobbing shaky mess AFTER I wake up. It's like being a scared puppy.

I just ask that the surgeons listen to whatever music relaxes them - it can even be Def Leppard for all I care ;)

I have had surgery only once and the experience of being put to sleep was so bad that afterward I swore to myself that I would rather die than be put under anesthesia again. The memory has faded a bit over the last few years and I don't know if I still feel exactly the same way about it, but I have put off having a wisdom tooth out that really, really needs to come out because the dentist wanted to put me under for it.

I will say that in my experience the anesthesia that I got for my ear was much different from what they did for my wisdom teeth. I woke up feeling like a million bucks after the teeth extraction. I was high and a bit euphoric. I went home and started making phone calls apparently, so that was interesting. I told someone later that week that I had my wisdom teeth out and he said "I know. You called to tell me about it for like an hour." I had no clue.

Anyway, compared to how dreadfully sick I was after the ear surgery, wisdom teeth was a snap. Keep in mind I have absolutely zero experience with feeling high, drunk, etc. so the effects may have been heightened for me in both cases.

I need my drugs well before I get to the hospital. One reason I'm putting off my next colonoscopy. My anxiety is SO bad, that my body is literally shaking while I'm waiting to be brought in. It's like 30 minutes of torture for me. But they always wait until the very last minute to give me anything.

I had my first surgery at 19. Family lived on the other side of the country so a co-worker took me. I didn't sleep the night before. Do NOT watch the movie "Awake" before a surgery... Just don't. They had trouble finding my vein and had to poke me several times. The worst was waking up though. I had been under for about 5 hours and woke up kind of hallucinating. My eyes couldn't adjust to the light, I was freezing, and couldn't comprehend words or where I was at. I thought I had fallen in the snow during a blizzard and someone was holding me down and someone was screaming. Then nothing. Later I found out that the screaming was from me, I tried to rip out my IV, was throwing up all over, and thrashing around so they had to sedate me. This sort of rough reaction upon waking is called emergence delirium.

I've had 8 surgeries since then and always tell them about my reactions. Certain brands of anesthesia and other meds are able to help with that stuff, and none of my other surgery wake ups have been as bad. I also make a request that if you can't find my vein on the first poke, you find someone else. That helps to eliminate the anxiety pre-surgery caused by someone sticking me four or five times because if the first person can't get it, they seek out the best person they have who gets it on their first try.

Relaxation meds before surgery help- just ask your anesthesiologist or Dr. IV- induced anesthesia also works quicker than inhaled anesthesia, so I have less time to think about and react to what's going on around me. The worst is still waking up for me, but I always request nausea meds to be given before/during surgery, and if possible to have the lights dimmed when they wake me up (sometimes they can accommodate with lights, sometimes they can't). I also request to be covered in heated blankets and to actually have my gown completely back on me if they have to take it off during the surgery. I woke up once only half covered by my gown without my arms in and was not too happy.

Just talk to the Dr, nurses, and anesthesiologist about any concerns or anxiety you have and they can help you with it. Also, before surgery, it helps to have a family member or friend in there with you for as long as possible. Other than when medical personnel are in the room, we don't talk about the procedure. We find some other conversation to have, something to make me laugh and get my mind off of things as much as possible.

I am an emotional and anxious person. I have issues with regular Drs appts and it’s even worse now after having battled cancer this past year. I just don’t want to be touched. I have had no issues with surgery though. Went into my breast cancer surgery with no premeds and was ok, I was actually happy to be there to get the cancer out of me. Same with previous surgeries. No issues. I had my annual gyno visit last week and had to call my Dh at work a few hours before hand and asked him to go with me. I thought I could do it on my own but I was in tears and really anxious. @@ I’m just in a weird place right now.

Everybody is different and nobody really knows how they’ll react until that time comes. Just discuss with your Dr before hand if you feel it might be an issue and also discuss with the nurse presurgery if you feel you need some assistance.

I had my first surgery at 19. Family lived on the other side of the country so a co-worker took me. I didn't sleep the night before. Do NOT watch the movie "Awake" before a surgery... Just don't. They had trouble finding my vein and had to poke me several times. The worst was waking up though. I had been under for about 5 hours and woke up kind of hallucinating. My eyes couldn't adjust to the light, I was freezing, and couldn't comprehend words or where I was at. I thought I had fallen in the snow during a blizzard and someone was holding me down and someone was screaming. Then nothing. Later I found out that the screaming was from me, I tried to rip out my IV, was throwing up all over, and thrashing around so they had to sedate me. This sort of rough reaction upon waking is called emergence delirium.

I've had 8 surgeries since then and always tell them about my reactions. Certain brands of anesthesia and other meds are able to help with that stuff, and none of my other surgery wake ups have been as bad. I also make a request that if you can't find my vein on the first poke, you find someone else. That helps to eliminate the anxiety pre-surgery caused by someone sticking me four or five times because if the first person can't get it, they seek out the best person they have who gets it on their first try.

Relaxation meds before surgery help- just ask your anesthesiologist or Dr. IV- induced anesthesia also works quicker than inhaled anesthesia, so I have less time to think about and react to what's going on around me. The worst is still waking up for me, but I always request nausea meds to be given before/during surgery, and if possible to have the lights dimmed when they wake me up (sometimes they can accommodate with lights, sometimes they can't). I also request to be covered in heated blankets and to actually have my gown completely back on me if they have to take it off during the surgery. I woke up once only half covered by my gown without my arms in and was not too happy.

Just talk to the Dr, nurses, and anesthesiologist about any concerns or anxiety you have and they can help you with it. Also, before surgery, it helps to have a family member or friend in there with you for as long as possible. Other than when medical personnel are in the room, we don't talk about the procedure. We find some other conversation to have, something to make me laugh and get my mind off of things as much as possible.

Hilarious that you mention the movie "Awake". It came out late 2007 and I watched it early 2008 and a few weeks later had surgery.
That kind of thing doesn't bother me as I know its only a movie and I already knew about anesthesia awareness before the move.

I get nervous and have had many a surgery. The IV is always the worst part for me, I've asked them if they can knock me out with a mask with the "funny gas" like they give kids and then put in the IV, they've done that in the past.

Good luck!

This is completely me! I've had 5 kids and I tell everyone that the IV was the worst part of it every time. Just mention that I need an IV and I'm ready to throw up. My husband is the total opposite. He can watch them put the IV in and not even flinch.

Hilarious that you mention the movie "Awake". It came out late 2007 and I watched it early 2008 and a few weeks later had surgery.
That kind of thing doesn't bother me as I know its only a movie and I already knew about anesthesia awareness before the move.

My mistake was watching it with a bunch of fellow Marines who (of course) thought it would be hilarious to share stories with me about how the same thing happened to ____ person they know and how the military's too cheap to actually give you enough anesthesia or "the good stuff" so it happens more often when having surgery in the military. Of course, all of that was and is BS, but didn't exactly help my mindset at the time.

I will say that in my experience the anesthesia that I got for my ear was much different from what they did for my wisdom teeth. I woke up feeling like a million bucks after the teeth extraction. I was high and a bit euphoric. I went home and started making phone calls apparently, so that was interesting. I told someone later that week that I had my wisdom teeth out and he said "I know. You called to tell me about it for like an hour." I had no clue.

Anyway, compared to how dreadfully sick I was after the ear surgery, wisdom teeth was a snap. Keep in mind I have absolutely zero experience with feeling high, drunk, etc. so the effects may have been heightened for me in both cases.

Thanks. My problem with the anesthesia wasn't physical, it was mental. I suffered some horrific abuse as a child and I wasn't prepared for reliving it while under the anesthesia. I understand now that it's a common occurrence. Whatever component of the drugs that causes amnesia seems to have worked, but when I was in the recovery room that amnesia drug wore off while the other drugs were still making my brain all confused and trippy and I relived the worst of the abuse in my bed in the recovery room. I was crying and screaming and begging the nurse to help me, I was convinced that she could see it happening to me and couldn't understand why she wasn't intervening. I was fighting so hard they were worried that I would hurt myself so they put me back to sleep. It was traumatic.

I’ve had 5 surgeries in my lifetime, having another surgery soon on April 17 (hip replacement).

If I remember right, I’ve always been awake when they rolled me into the operating room. I always feel really scared, cold and clammy, and come really close to crying, but I manage to hold it back. I’m not sure what advice to give you, but I think it would be odd if you/we didn’t feel scared and/or nervous.
Best of luck with your surgery! Ur gonna feel sooo good with that new hip! Here’s to an Uneventful surgery and rapid recovery!

I am probably having surgery soon.
It wouldn't be the first time (last surgery was 6 years ago though) and I know "the drill" but I still get anxious and I know its normal but that foreboding feeling drives me nuts.

The day of I'm hungry and dehydrated, then I get really cold and shaky.
I have found that if I wear fuzzy socks very my regular socks that does help with the cold and shaky part.
I start getting nervous about getting the IV not because I'm squeamish but because its always hard for them to get a vein so either they are smacking my hand for 10 minutes or they poke me 5 times.

I can actually manage to suppress the anxiety pretty well during all that BUT then comes the O.R.
It feels like "there's no turning back now muahahaha" and suddenly fight or flight kicks in because I don't like the lack of control I have from that point forward.
My reaction is more mental than physical. I want to cry and I feel sick to my stomach.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Have you found any techniques that help calm you so you can kinda just sit back and enjoy the ride?
I'd love to find a way to be chill about it instead of feeling and probably looking like everyone is trying to kill me lol.

It helps to have a loved one with you and knowing they'll take you home.

Aside from that, keep your mind off it leading up, treat it mechanically like other unpleasant tasks. I like making sure I get some quality time in with people/things that make me happy. That way I'm preoccupied. I've done concerts, day trips, etc. the day/night before. Laugh hard.

Day of, that's just prayer, breathing, and anesthesia.

It helps to have something to look forward to on the other side. Warm blankets, fuzzy socks, those first sips of liquid. I always watch "The Muppet Movie" when I'm lucid again.

Good luck!

Surgery is one of my biggest fears. Luckily (knock on wood) the only procedure I've needed done so far was getting my wisdom teeth out and they put me under. If I ever needed a legitimate surgery, they would need to knock me out before even bringing me to the hospital. I would be giving myself a heart attack from freaking out so much.

My only surgery was for a hernia 25 years ago. I thought I was calm, but prep nurse said I was shaking and she gave me some type of pill which seemed to help.

I remember being transferred from the operating table to the gurney to bring me to the recovery room. I looked down at some stained cloths and asked "Is that blood?" and some voice somewhere said "No, that's iodine." Then I dozed off again.

OP, sorry to hear you have to go through that. I have no problem with surgery. I've had over 20 operations where I've been put under. Since I've had cancer twice, my veins are a disaster. I've had them put IV's in my hands, arms and even my foot (that was unpleasant). It always takes multiple tries to find a vein. It's just something I've gotten used to. As for the actual surgery, I just tell myself that I have nothing to worry about. If I wake up, all is well and there is nothing to worry about. If I don't, there is also nothing to worry about. So far, so good. I do get pretty sick from anesthetic. That part is never fun, but I've learned to ask for Zofran!

Hope your surgery goes well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter