So, I think I've been "Disney Shamed"...

The people that judge me basically imply that I am not sophisticated like they are because they go to exotic faraway once-in-a-lifetime bucket list destinations and I continue to go to Disney.

When we visited Arizona and California in April, six out of the ten days we spent in Disneyland. My Music teacher friend who has surfed all over the world, including California, asked me where we were staying in Cali. When I told him that we were staying at the Disneyland Hotel, he chuckled and said, “Of course you are.”
tbh people like that are just dead set on thinking Disney is lame that they're not even worth arguing with!

This happens to me frequently from co-workers, friends, family. To be honest I would also like to take a trip to Europe or Asia but my kids can’t handle the long flights. So mostly we just go to DL, WDW and Hawaii since the longest flight they handle is about 5 hours.

We’ve gone every year for the last 16 years and the last 10 staying at a Disney Resort. We love it. Yes it costs a fortune but it’s our money and our choice. I think some people make comments because they are jealous or just not willing to spend the money.

The Resorts we stay at are amazing as well as the parks. For us it is not just about the parks.

We are at CSR right now and have already planned our next trip.

I've been on the receiving end of comments like those too. I'm going back in January even though we were just there in February of this year.

For me, Disney is a place that I love to go to and explore. I've also discovered that if stuck on a beach for a vacation, the only thing that will happen is I will sleep...restful, yes...fun, no.

I just read through this entire thread and have to say I am so envious of those of you who go to Disney several times a year. Heck, I’m envious of those of you who go once a year. We average a Disney trip about once every three years. This year was an exception. I got to spend a couple of days at Disney World and a couple at Disneyland. We are hoping to back to WDW for the 50th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom. We were there for the 25th.

I just read through this entire thread and have to say I am so envious of those of you who go to Disney several times a year. Heck, I’m envious of those of you who go once a year. We average a Disney trip about once every three years. This year was an exception. I got to spend a couple of days at Disney World and a couple at Disneyland. We are hoping to back to WDW for the 50th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom. We were there for the 25th.

Normally in my family's case we actually wouldn't be going so soon, but my husband suggested a girls weekend for my teen daughter and I for a long weekend. We're close enough and have enough points to fly for a short visit, otherwise it would be a few years.

Our February trip was essentially us running around the parks like the 7 Dwarfs. We even had assigned names, which made for some funny pictures on the 7DMT.

Yea, people judge us for going to WDW over and over, but they go to Myrtle Beach and Carowinds over and over and can't believe we've never been! (ok, the kids have both been to Carowinds on school trips, but neither has any desire to go back) I say to each their own!
I've personally never been solo, but did spend some solo time while chaperoning DS's band trip to WDW just to see what it was like. What I "missed" was being able to share stuff with DH and kids, but that's because most memories I have are tied to them. I did enjoy doing what I wanted when I wanted, and I actually talked to strangers, CM's, and had fun so I could see going solo if I was single- definitely!
Wouldn't everyone here agree that it's no one's business what someone wants to do in their leisure time? It's just like any other un-solicited advice or comments- people are going to be rude and insert their opinion whether you ask or not- so don't let them get you down! If it makes you happy and it's not bothering anyone else, go for it!

I certainly would, but after my WDW trip fell through last minute, I realized I could look at DL instead and save my tickets for WDW for later.

When I was working (retired since 2015), I remember more Disney on Disney shaming. Our social/economic workforce demographics resulted in a lot more Disney fans than not.

This resulted in a lot of:

1. Non-DVC/DVC shaming. "I can't believe you spent $$$ on DVC!"
2. Which resort shaming. " I can't believe you're staying at GF again!"
3. Dining Plan shaming. "I can't believe you're not using the awesome Dining Plan!"
4. Insert your own Disney on Disney shaming.

In the end, we all realized how fortunate we were to be able to enjoy Disney on our terms, and from time to time we picked up a valuable tip or two. But I think I gave more tips than received, because after all, I was the better Disney patron!!

PS: Now that we live in a 55+ community, we have met many Disney fans, and the Disney on Disney shaming continues, often while we are at WDW together at the same time!! Good times!

Last edited:
So, last night out of the clear blue, someone I know basically "Disney Shamed" me. Like, it was that "(As a single adult with no kids) Why go to Disney when you can go so many other places?" conversation. I basically told him, "You know, I like it. If it's not for you, that's fine."

I must say I was annoyed by it. This is someone I'm good friends with, so I know he didn't really mean any harm, but why can't people just respect the fact that we all have different tastes in things?

Has anyone ever encountered this? How did you deal with it?
I feel sorry for those who have forgotten how to play!

I have read this thread and as an adult who adores the Disney experience, I would say that I have experienced some of these described reactions from people, but never in the extreme. I have been fortunate in my experiences that when I respond with my true passion and love for why I try to make the pilgrimage to My Happy Place as often as I can, I either find that there is another Disney lover not too far away, or that my sharing of my reasons of why it is my destination of choice causes interest to learn more. Of course, there is that occasional reaction from people of ‘what is wrong with those guys’. when that newly discovered Disney fan and I start geeking out in Disney speak ... but let’s face it, we Disney Fans know what drives and delights us, and we do not need the affirmation of others to make that true . Go forth my friends and carry your Disney Proud ... you are NOT alone :-)

What I have at work is that people are more curious, trying to figure out what's going on. They don't really get it, but they are definitely intrigued.
This week I had taken Monday off to go on a day trip to Disneyland Paris. It's 3,5 hours by train, I arrive at 11am, take the train back at 8pm, perfect to get away from it all.
I hadn't told anyone what I was going to do on my day off and not everyone was aware. I had to log in from the train to my work e-mail to check some ongoing projects. We have Skype and while I'm logged in a colleague sends me a message where I am and what I am doing. So I explain I am on my way to Disneyland, and that I'll be back to work the day after.

I had told 1 colleague where I was, then the following day, at least 4 people came to me asking me how my trip was and it felt like the entire department knew :P Also questions like, "How do you do it?", "What do you do all day?", "Do you have an annual pass?", "What does it cost?" and these are all sincere questions.
Also the Disney Run Weekend is a moment when they are really curious what goes on at an event like this. They accept it, but it's more as if I'm an exotic animal at the zoo ;-)

If they’re married just remind them they’ve been “visiting” the same dusty old clap trap for x# years, maybe because they hate having to wait on long lines and that attraction was a walk-on. That’ll shut them up :ssst:

Well I just sat through a 30 minute lunch with my colleagues listening to the majority complain about Disney World.

We started talking about how magical and beautiful it is at Christmas, and all it took was one person to complain about the cost. It quickly went from a fun discussion about how awesome WDW is to how overpriced it is and how they could go on three vacations for the price of one at WDW if you go Deluxe like I do.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that I'm flying First Class and staying Club Level at the Polynesian in June.

I used to get this a lot but I don't really anymore, because my entire life has some aspect of Disney in it. I have Disney pictures on my walls at work, my house has little Disney touches all over. I have an Instagram page devoted to Disney only and my dog's name is Minnie!

When you're as obsessed as me, no one seems to even question it anymore! :rotfl:

I used to get this a lot but I don't really anymore, because my entire life has some aspect of Disney in it. I have Disney pictures on my walls at work, my house has little Disney touches all over. I have an Instagram page devoted to Disney only and my dog's name is Minnie!

When you're as obsessed as me, no one seems to even question it anymore! :rotfl:

I'm lucky enough to have a gf that gets my love of Disney as well as my close relationship with my dad enough to understand why I'm returning once more in less than a year...though part of me thinks she's just using me for my own knowledge of planning trips there 🤣 .

Oh, and before you get on me for not taking her, I've offered. She wants to do this huge trip with her family and mine and be able to contribute to it. So blame her not me 😜 .

I think we'd be friends. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!