So we just planned a trip for July 4 week...

Fladis32

Mouseketeer
How crazy is it gonna be? Any advice on the best way to make this a fun time. We are staying on property and we have Park Hoppers for everyday. We have no idea where to choose for fireworks and where the best spots are to see them. Help, please, help.

MK generally has the special fireworks on the 3rd and 4th
Epcot has the special fireworks on the 4th.

Due to possible capacity closure issues it's best to get to a fireworks park around noon and plan to stay (do lots of indoor shows, and, of course your FP+)

The MK fireworks have the perimeter fireworks that are best if you are in the hub (with seemingly 100,000 of your new, closest friends) with a view down Main Street, too (they use the 7 Seas island launch point, too)

But if they don't add a bunch of projections, it would be pretty fun behind the castle, near BOG...

Other than fireworks on the 3rd and 4th, it's just summer.
Last year, crowds were very, unexpectedly low (like old October wait time lows) but I wouldn't expect that, again. (2012 was pleasant, but 2013 was quite busy)

I'm going to be there that week for the first time too. The crowd calendars I have checked do not agree with each other: kennythepirate says "insane crowds" but touringplans says an average of 7 out of 10 all week. I plan to do MK on July 3rd and Epcot on July 4th but I hadn't really planned on getting to the parks until around 3pm each day. I know I won't make it if I go in earlier and try to deal with the heat all day. Hopefully with an AP and staying onsite I won't have problems getting in the parks.

In 2015, we were in MK on July 3 for Be Our Guest dinner and didn't get in the park until probably 5 PM or so. That's our exact plan for this year.

Best of luck.
Be prepared for patience, crazy crowds/ing, and having 100000 new close friends lol.
But ur at Disney... the UP side of the situation. Enjoy!

We'll be there this year for 4th of July too, our 3rd year in a row and probably 6th or 7th overall. It's busy, no doubt. However, the only truly "crazy" time, IMO, is MK on the 4th itself. After about noon, MK is insanely busy and may even close due to new arrivals. Beyond that, it's all manageable. It's not too late to get really good FP+, so hurry up and grab those. You won't get FoP, but you should be able to get a lot of other things. Have a little patience, and otherwise enjoy!

In 2015, we were in MK on July 3 for Be Our Guest dinner and didn't get in the park until probably 5 PM or so. That's our exact plan for this year.
Was that the year of the big lightning storm that held off the fireworks till late?

Last edited:

We did the same thing last year. Last minute trip at about the same time. Crowded but loved the later summer hours. Best time ever.
Enjoy!

Agree with @Klayfish assessment. This will be our fourth time being there for July 4th. It's plenty busy, especially on the fourth itself, but it's a great experience. We're staying at the Poly and, at least for the 3rd, will watch the fireworks from there.

This will be our first time going to WDW during the 4th of July holiday. Have they ever closed MK or Epcot for either the 3rd or 4th? We will be staying at the BC and plan to walk over to the International Gateway later in the evening on the 4th. I would hate to be prevented for going in the park.

Man
This will be our first time going to WDW during the 4th of July holiday. Have they ever closed MK or Epcot for either the 3rd or 4th? We will be staying at the BC and plan to walk over to the International Gateway later in the evening on the 4th. I would hate to be prevented for going in the park.

Can't remember the year but we were there one 4th when the closed MK to off site guests on the 4th for a bit.

It gets very crowded, especially on the 4th. We watched the fireworks from the Contemporary resort on the 4th. Less people than standing in the Magic Kingdom.

The fireworks are my only reason to be going this time of year. I know I will hate the heat and I fully expect capacity crowds, but I wanna see those fireworks!!! I have TS meals scheduled for late afternoon early evening at both MK and Epcot on my days then my FP for rides. I will be solo so finding a decent spot is a tiny bit easier, but I will be trying to stake out my claim at least an hour before hand.

This is a peak week. My advice: Plan on it being a "smell the roses" trip. Don't worry about getting on all the rides and seeing everything. Get there early if you can and hit some of your family favorites, but don't expect to be able to do as much as other times of the year.

This is a peak week. My advice: Plan on it being a "smell the roses" trip. Don't worry about getting on all the rides and seeing everything. Get there early if you can and hit some of your family favorites, but don't expect to be able to do as much as other times of the year.

I can't really say I'd agree with it being a "smell the roses" week. You have to use FP+ to your advantage and just be smart, but you can get on a lot of rides and do a lot of things. I totally agree that it's a peak week, it's very busy. But you can accomplish a lot.

I'm actually super pumped, we're going then too. I finalized plans around 35-40ish days out and found plenty of FP and ADR availability, materially better than my other trips this year. It's also much cheaper too. :-)

We will also be there. We have FPs for MK on the evening of the 4th, and plan to watch the fireworks outside of the hub (not sure where yet). We've been at MK for Christmas week several times so we are prepared for crowds, but my understanding is that it won't be quite that bad. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

We will also be there. We have FPs for MK on the evening of the 4th, and plan to watch the fireworks outside of the hub (not sure where yet). We've been at MK for Christmas week several times so we are prepared for crowds, but my understanding is that it won't be quite that bad. I'm preparing for the worst and hoping to be pleasantly surprised!

Me too. I am planning for major crowds and chaos, but hoping for the best. Last year crowds were smaller than usual for July 4th week. I am hoping that happens again. Before the reservation system went crazy there were plenty of rooms at all levels for room only under both the promo and AP rates. Also, I had no problems getting FP made and rearranged that week, so I am hopeful and excited to see the fireworks. Nighttime touring is always my favorite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!