So we WERE going to go to Food & Wine...

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
but decided to go to the real Europe this fall instead! In keeping with the budget board, the flights/hotel/rental car for a week are roughly the same price as we were going to spend at WDW for 4 nights in a value and 2 day tickets! Crazy! While I LOVE WDW and especially F&W Festival and would love to take my boyfriend there, we decided to do our own F&W tour. We are staying near Heidelberg as our base, but will have a car and not opposed to driving several hours in any direction or taking a train somewhere for a day. We are going in November so it will be chilly and some things may be closed for the season but for the price we're paying that's ok! So, if anyone has any budget tips for Europe, especially Germany, let's have 'em! I've never been there but BF lived there through 8th grade (his dad was Army), but has been back for 30 years now so I know things have changed!

I don't know anything about Heidelberg, but I went to Germany many years ago in December to visit a bestie. Her husband was stationed at Landstuhl Medical Center. We went to Frankfurt for a day and visited some Christmas markets, which was lots of fun. We also took a day trip to Liechtenstein, which was also very fun. We just did a self guided tour.

When I travel in Europe, I always buy Rick Steve's guide for the area. Last year DH and I went on a Norwegian cruise that left out of Copenhagen. Rick Steve's book was great in helping us find good restaurants, pick local tours and find things to do while we were there. At the minimum, I would check out his Germany guide from the library to get some ideas of things to do while you are there.

If you can somehow make it down the south of France, I would do it! Monaco is beautiful, really interesting cuisine (French/Italian fusion) and the weather in late November was mid 60s, very comfortable. Also, when in France, you should order the table wines. Equally delicious at a lesser cost!

If you can somehow make it down the south of France, I would do it! Monaco is beautiful, really interesting cuisine (French/Italian fusion) and the weather in late November was mid 60s, very comfortable. Also, when in France, you should order the table wines. Equally delicious at a lesser cost!

Yes, we are definitely looking at at least a day trip to France, we've both been to Paris before so we can skip that, but are looking at maybe Strasbourg or somewhere near there.

I did a study aboard in Arcachon, France. We would go to Carrefour (basically French Walmart) and buy bottles of wine for a few Euros. Without really knowing much about wine, they were all delicious.

I don't know anything about Heidelberg, but I went to Germany many years ago in December to visit a bestie. Her husband was stationed at Landstuhl Medical Center. We went to Frankfurt for a day and visited some Christmas markets, which was lots of fun. We also took a day trip to Liechtenstein, which was also very fun. We just did a self guided tour.

When I travel in Europe, I always buy Rick Steve's guide for the area. Last year DH and I went on a Norwegian cruise that left out of Copenhagen. Rick Steve's book was great in helping us find good restaurants, pick local tours and find things to do while we were there. At the minimum, I would check out his Germany guide from the library to get some ideas of things to do while you are there.
I know someone who also uses Rick Steves' books. She and her husband travelled all over Europe on his books multiple times.

We did the same idea and bailed on a trip to Seattle/Pacific NW and are going to England/Scotland for a week instead. Flights were actually cheaper and hotel costs were 1/3 of the cost than in Seattle. Enjoy your stay, this is our first time overseas.

November is a great time to go to Germany- a little chilly- but it's snowing here now, so you never know!! Christmas markets may or may not be starting- usually they start around Thanksgiving, but the first Sunday of Advent they are almost always closed-

If you are willing to drive about 2.5 hours, there is a nice little French city called Colmar. The man who created the Statue of Liberty is from there, and at the entrance to the city, in the middle of a trafic circle, there is a replica of the Statue if Liberty, standing about 40ft tall.

The city is also very nice, and easily walkable. Just something interesting to see maybe!

Also, in about 3.5 hours, you could drive to Bastogne, Belgium- if you've seen Band of Brothers, or are familiar with WWII you will recognize it from the battle of the buldge. You can go into the Ardennes forest and see the foxholes that are still there from the Americans who were fighting. there is also a memorial on the side of the road you can stop and see. So much history to see in that area!

I have no doubt you guys will find some wonderful side trips! Enjoy your trip!

I wonder if ppl in Germany, Monoco, etc ever say things like "America is BEAUTIFUL, you'll have a blast there!" or if they see us as a crap destination lol

November is a great time to go to Germany- a little chilly- but it's snowing here now, so you never know!! Christmas markets may or may not be starting- usually they start around Thanksgiving, but the first Sunday of Advent they are almost always closed-

If you are willing to drive about 2.5 hours, there is a nice little French city called Colmar. The man who created the Statue of Liberty is from there, and at the entrance to the city, in the middle of a trafic circle, there is a replica of the Statue if Liberty, standing about 40ft tall.

The city is also very nice, and easily walkable. Just something interesting to see maybe!

Also, in about 3.5 hours, you could drive to Bastogne, Belgium- if you've seen Band of Brothers, or are familiar with WWII you will recognize it from the battle of the buldge. You can go into the Ardennes forest and see the foxholes that are still there from the Americans who were fighting. there is also a memorial on the side of the road you can stop and see. So much history to see in that area!

I have no doubt you guys will find some wonderful side trips! Enjoy your trip!

Thank you! It looks like we’ll just miss the Christmas markets, we fly back the day before thanksgiving, bummer but probably why the deal was so inexpensive.

Another fan of the Rick Steves' books. You could get his Germany one, or consider his "Europe Through the Back Door". The latter is about traveling on the cheap, seeing destinations that are interesting, but not quite so touristy. I find he covers a lot of stuff you're probably wondering about (where to stay, how much money to exchange), and a TON of questions you never thought to ask (pickpockets and other scams, how to do laundry).

I imagine Germany would be postcard-pretty, even in an off season. Have a wonderful trip!

Another fan of the Rick Steves' books. You could get his Germany one, or consider his "Europe Through the Back Door". The latter is about traveling on the cheap, seeing destinations that are interesting, but not quite so touristy. I find he covers a lot of stuff you're probably wondering about (where to stay, how much money to exchange), and a TON of questions you never thought to ask (pickpockets and other scams, how to do laundry).

I imagine Germany would be postcard-pretty, even in an off season. Have a wonderful trip!

I just finished reading this book cover to cover. My girls want to spend a few weeks in Europe when they both graduate college so we were trying to figure out a reasonable budget so they can start saving up. It's a great read, and gives some very practical tips that I would never have even thought of. Hoping there's a new edition in print by the time my girls are ready to go.

I relied on Rick Steves a LOT when I went to England/France back in the late 90's and I have been feverishly reading the message boards on his website as well. Great source of info!

We enjoyed many trips through Europe using Rick Steve’s recommendations. Our favorite place in Germany was Neuschwanstein, the Bavarian castle used as inspiration for Disney’s castles. It is about 4 hours from Heidelberg. Can you divide your lodging between different areas? There are other great castles like Hohenschwangau a few mile away. A bit further south, you can ride a gondola to the top of Zugspitze, the highest mountain in the range between Germany and Austria.

The food we had in Germany was good. They specialize in pork, not beef, so stick to their fabulous pork dishes. Look for kaiserschmarrn, a wonderful pancake dish from the region.

Closer to Heidelberg is the amazing medieval walled town call Rothenburg. Do not miss it. It is a spectacular sight to roam around on the old stone walls after dark. It is on Germany’s popular romantic road. If you follow Rick Steve’s advice in what to see and do in this area, you should have an incredible trip.

We enjoyed many trips through Europe using Rick Steve’s recommendations. Our favorite place in Germany was Neuschwanstein, the Bavarian castle used as inspiration for Disney’s castles. It is about 4 hours from Heidelberg. Can you divide your lodging between different areas? There are other great castles like Hohenschwangau a few mile away. A bit further south, you can ride a gondola to the top of Zugspitze, the highest mountain in the range between Germany and Austria.

The food we had in Germany was good. They specialize in pork, not beef, so stick to their fabulous pork dishes. Look for kaiserschmarrn, a wonderful pancake dish from the region.

Closer to Heidelberg is the amazing medieval walled town call Rothenburg. Do not miss it. It is a spectacular sight to roam around on the old stone walls after dark. It is on Germany’s popular romantic road. If you follow Rick Steve’s advice in what to see and do in this area, you should have an incredible trip.

Rothenburg is definitely on the list! As far as lodging, the package we got includes the flights/hotel/car rental, so lodging is set. However, if we do decide to spend a night elsewhere, I'm sure we can find a cheap place to stay and it won't be a big deal to skip a night at the place we've already paid for.

but decided to go to the real Europe this fall instead! In keeping with the budget board, the flights/hotel/rental car for a week are roughly the same price as we were going to spend at WDW for 4 nights in a value and 2 day tickets! Crazy! While I LOVE WDW and especially F&W Festival and would love to take my boyfriend there, we decided to do our own F&W tour. We are staying near Heidelberg as our base, but will have a car and not opposed to driving several hours in any direction or taking a train somewhere for a day. We are going in November so it will be chilly and some things may be closed for the season but for the price we're paying that's ok! So, if anyone has any budget tips for Europe, especially Germany, let's have 'em! I've never been there but BF lived there through 8th grade (his dad was Army), but has been back for 30 years now so I know things have changed!

There’s lots of interesting places in and around Heidelberg, but if you want to go a bit further afield the Mosel valley to the north west is lovely. Try Trier town - some good Roman history there, and we stayed with friends in a village called Traben-Trarbach where there are some interesting wine cellars and a cute village center. The architecture around there really is like Epcot!

Cologne, which is a bit further north again, has a great Cathedral. It also has a massive Christmas market which starts last weekend of November if you are there then.

There’s also the Black Forest to the south and Wurzburg to the north east has a huge rococo palace.

How awesome and sounds like a wonderful trip! :). I grew up in Germany (military brat) and I've been fortunate to return several times to Germany and Europe after I moved back to the States permanently in 1991. It's changed for sure but so many things are exactly as they were so that should be interesting for your BF!

Heidelberg is a great city and the castle is among the very best!

You've received great suggestions so far so I'll echo on some of them. Please do make time to head to the Black Forest and Bavaria and since I lived in Nuernberg as well, I'm a little partial, ha ha. Munich is amazing and visiting Neuschwanstein castle should be a must do! We actually were just there this past August (6 days in Munich before our Med cruise) and I booked us through Viator as it was very reasonably priced and easier to do the organized tour that way. They picked us up at a local Karstadt (dept. store) and dropped us off at the same place so we just took the S-Bahn back to our hotel. We also visited Linderhof and Oberammergau.

I also highly recommend Rothenburg ob der Tauber if you can get there as it's beautiful and fascinating.

Travelling by train in Europe, but especially Germany is relatively easy and trouble free. You can view the schedules and usually the pricing on www.bahn.com.

Gosh, I could go on and on! :)

In our hotel room, we had a mini kitchen so a few nights we stopped at the local Lidl grocery store and got some fresh bread, salami, cheese, drinks, chips and made us a nice meal for around 7 Euros for the three of us. We then would splurge a little on other meals like the well known Schnitzels and pizzas - all pizzas taste better to me in Europe.

I hope you guys have a blast!

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter