Soarin over Cali vs World Preference?

Soarin Preference?

• California

Votes: 76 96.2%
  • World

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
Having done both I tend to lean a bit to the California version but I was happy that WDW had a different one.

So interesting to read this strong consensus for CA version. I have been listening to the Disneyland Resort Official Album 2013 on my commute (really missing Dland - 90 days until we go!) and whenever the Soarin music comes on, it reminds me how very much I loved the CA version. It was great. It felt much more immersive than the World version, much more like you were really hang-gliding above the river, snow skiers, horse riders, etc. Love loved it. The World version is OK. I don't hate it. It's just not as much of a thrill to me as the experience is like watching a movie in a chair that rocks a little.

I preferred California, world has too much CGI stuff, plus i thought a consistent theme was nice. World jumps around too much. Darn that planet diversity!

While I see what they were going for and impressive technologically in what they achieved, just like WOC revisions they just missed the mark on what made it special.

I miss the California version.

Another vote for California. I was excited to see the new version, but the CGI is too much and too distracting. Also, so much more distortion unless you are directly in the middle. So happy they kept the intro with Patrick Warburton though.

WOW, 48 votes, all for California. That surprises me a little bit.

I don't have a super strong preference. There are things that each does well. Overall, though, I miss the smell of oranges. The scents in World aren't good. But, the transitions themselves are better in World, for instance.

So interesting to read this strong consensus for CA version. I have been listening to the Disneyland Resort Official Album 2013 on my commute (really missing Dland - 90 days until we go!) and whenever the Soarin music comes on, it reminds me how very much I loved the CA version. It was great. It felt much more immersive than the World version, much more like you were really hang-gliding above the river, snow skiers, horse riders, etc. Love loved it. The World version is OK. I don't hate it. It's just not as much of a thrill to me as the experience is like watching a movie in a chair that rocks a little.
I have the same CD too, i think. It's crazy how so many of those songs are now irrelevant.
Soarin, ToT, All the tough to be a bug songs, california screamin, etc.

I don't have a super strong preference. There are things that each does well. Overall, though, I miss the smell of oranges. The scents in World aren't good. But, the transitions themselves are better in World, for instance.

This. I really enjoy the transitions, but the distortion needs to be corrected. I miss the oranges, but the overall concept of the world version is pretty cool, if you ask me.

This. I really enjoy the transitions, but the distortion needs to be corrected. I miss the oranges, but the overall concept of the world version is pretty cool, if you ask me.

The thing about the distortion is that it is inherent in having a curved screen. The original minimized that by keeping tall, towering objects to a minimum and away from the center of the screen. Using scenes like the Eiffel Tower definitely accentuates the distortion.

California version was infinitely better than the CGI piece of crap they have playing now.

This ride would turn both me and my spouse into blubbering babies by the end of the ride. The visuals and the fantastic score tied up beautifully and it was a very emotional experience. It was my spouse's favorite ride, after it's a small world.

The new one... we got on, marveled at the pointless transitions, the terrible CGI, and the poorly cut-and-pasted score. Haven't even bothered to ride this garbage since.

Way to kill a ride, Disney.

I enjoy the World version, but we usually only do it once a trip (even on multi-day 3,4, or 5 day trips). The California version was so much more appealing that we would go several times, often multiple times in one day. I think the California version had more emotional resonance with me, but the actual ride felt more exhilarating as well. The new World version’s motions seem pretty tame in comparison.

California for sure. I went on World twice when it came out and it was fine I guess. The transitions really turned me off - too many special effects pulling you out of the moment (I think the California version did that once or twice, like with the golf ball, but on World it was constant). But after I had experienced it, I cared about it so little that I kind forgot it exists - I just now realized we haven't been on that ride again since then. It just doesn't draw us back I guess.

One thing I miss about the California version is that it was very focused on nature rather than just man made landmarks, so I feel like it fit in with the theme in that part of the park really well.

California was one of our favorite rides, up there with RSR and BTMRR. We’d ride it multiple times each visit.

World we’ve ridden twice total, I think.

I don't have a preference either way but DD was on the edge of her seat with a smile on her face during World. Are a lot of the ppl who voted Cali version from Cali?

I actually love the new version - but I like change and get bored fast with things. Screamin is my favorite ride but I'm excited for the newer version.

I actually love the new version - but I like change and get bored fast with things. Screamin is my favorite ride but I'm excited for the newer version.

I think if this poll were on the WDW board it might be a more even split as I know lots of people there liked the World version. Me, I like them both, so I haven't voted in the poll.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter