Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't he cut in half in episode 1??

Yes but he survived by channeling his hatred for Obi Wan. He went insane and fashioned himself these spider like robot legs. Later his brother found him and brought him to their home planet, he got sane again and outfitted with more normal legs

Then they started up a crime syndicate and eventually Maul (he’s no longer a Darth) took over. Also at some point Siddious found him, killed his brother but let him live.

Can someone help me with a timeline here? So.darth maul.is just starting ...he's in episode 1. Luke's dad is a kid in that movie. Han is basically a young adult....so by the time hang is in episode.4 we've basically had an entire generation go by .But I'm to believe before this han was a young adult and Darth maul is around this time too?? Big oversight here. I'd have expected the han movie to take place around episode 3 ish not 1....

Solo takes place after the prequels. Here's the simplified version: It was revealed in The Clone Wars series that Darth Maul survived his encounter with Obi-Wan in The Phantom Menace. He was picked up by a junk hauler and grafted to some robotic legs (the first ones were spider-like, but as he regained his sanity he went through a few iterations, finally getting some human-like robotic legs). He and his brother, Savage Oppress, tried to found a criminal empire called the Shadow Collective, but Darth Sidious didn't take kindly to that, and killed Savage. Darth Maul ran back to Dathomir (his home planet) and restarted his criminal empire as Crimson Dawn. That's where we see him in Solo.

Glad they brought back Maul in the Clone Wars and Rebels. He was so underutilized in Ep. 1. His back story is pretty cool too.

The thing is, that's not really how it works. Yes, Disney will make money in the long run, but certain expectations needed to be met by the theatrical box-office take in order to qualify the movie as a success. All of the producers need to get paid with their cut. There are so many moving parts, and things like merchandising are in silos. At any rate, even the movie eventually makes it into the black, Disney can't be happy with the take.

I'd say they might be pretty thrilled with the box office take considering the mess they had on their hands when Ron Howard was brought in. The rumor mill was in full swing, and even up to a couple weeks before the release I was reading stories on how Alden Ehrenreich was not a good actor, from the other cast members. It's like this movies was behind the eight ball from the get go.

I'd say they might be pretty thrilled with the box office take considering the mess they had on their hands when Ron Howard was brought in. The rumor mill was in full swing, and even up to a couple weeks before the release I was reading stories on how Alden Ehrenreich was not a good actor, from the other cast members. It's like this movies was behind the eight ball from the get go.

I wouldn't say "thrilled" but if they hadn't had to spend so much on reshoots, the movie would not be considered such a huge failure. If the budget were closer to what they spent on Rogue One, it'd be closing in on making the money it would need to to be profitable, although it'd still be a far cry from what Rogue One made.

I wouldn't say "thrilled" but if they hadn't had to spend so much on reshoots, the movie would not be considered such a huge failure. If the budget were closer to what they spent on Rogue One, it'd be closing in on making the money it would need to to be profitable, although it'd still be a far cry from what Rogue One made.
Like Rogue One .. I am curious why they feel these reshoots were necessary. Like was the story different? The tone? Too much "Lego Movie-like" humor?

Did Rogue One have everyone live in the end or something? There were tons of scenes in the trailers that you never seen in the theatrical release.

Like Rogue One .. I am curious why they feel these reshoots were necessary. Like was the story different? The tone? Too much "Lego Movie-like" humor?

Did Rogue One have everyone live in the end or something? There were tons of scenes in the trailers that you never seen in the theatrical release.

Well, in the case of solo they had to reshoot a certain percentage of the movie just to be able to credit Ron Howard as the sole director. There are guild rules about such things, so even if the old footage was usable, they had to do Howard's take on it and use that. From what I understand though, the real issue with Lord and Miller was that they weren't turning in the dailies on time because they would shoot the same scene over and over with different lines and ad-libs and other things. They weren't sticking to Kasdan's script and weren't getting the footage to editing and post. I'd say they were already quite behind schedule and wasting a lot of the productions money even before they were dismissed. That kind of stuff might be okay for comedies, but on a big SFX heavy tentpole, it's not gonna fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter