• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo average trip cost?

yecats

Living to vacation.
Some background, I just returned from Disney 11/29-12/8/02. We stayed offgrounds for the following reasons: to save money as you can get a nicer hotel off property with amenities than staying at the value resorts on property (we had a longer length of stay this trip); we also did a few days in US and around Orlando; and some of the extra money saved allowed us to eat at some of the better rest. on Disney property (had it with fast food by day 2). I am a single female (early 30's) who went this past trip with my mom who loves Disney as well.

I do travel for my job alone on occasion (and have had to live out of hotels for weeks) but have never traveled solo for vacation, always with a family member. As I am a single female, resources are limited to what I can spend on vacations in a year. I have been wanting to do a solo trip to Disney for past 3/4 years but always managed to find another vacation (love to cruise been on many). I usually do one nice vacation with family members every year and would like to begin to do a solo vacation (long weekend) at Disney if I can manage to fit it in.

My question to all who have done it alone, how much do you usually find you spend either on grounds or off? I don't like severe crowds and would never go during a holiday or during the summer so it is usually in the off season. I have done a number of rough comparisons both on (using hotels discount codes)and off property (using priceline which is how I went this trip). I keep averaging about $800 for a 4 night trip offgrounds (keeping in mind, airfare, car rental, tickets, food (better rest.), souv., etc.). I usually buy the vacation components seperately (find hotel deals or use discount codes, but tickets from Ticketmania, etc or from Disney store) and find that I have managed to save money in some way but usually spend it elsewhere on Disney property. I have been price comparing with onsite/offsite on this issue until my brain hurts and have just concluded to get others advise. I am not a big fan of the AS but staying on prop. means I wouldn't have the added expension of a rental car but would need Mears or something else to get me to the hotel and would probably come close to what I would've paid for the rental. These are the questions which have given me brain ache.

As a single female who's been to WDW solo 5 times, I'd never consider staying off property for one big reason-I feel much safer on property! One disadvantage trying to save money is that all hotels, at least at Disney, probably off site also, charge the same whether there are one or two adults in the room. However, I find it saves money to get a hotel with a food court or a home away from home resort. Disney serves such big meals sometimes, and they talk about "big enough to share". Well, if you have no one to share with, and no refrigerator to save leftovers, you pay for and waste a lot of food. At food courts, you can control how much you get better than resturaunts, and at home away from home resorts you have a refrigerator and microwave.
And I never leave Disney property from the time I arrive until the time I leave-never rented a car. It's been a lot of fun, and will be soon, I hope!

Welcome to the DIS yecats. I'm really glad you decided to join us. I agree with Simba's Mom. I stay onsite because not only do I not want to rent a car but because I don't know my way around Orlando and don't want to drive. I also feel very safe staying in an onsite resort.

Mears is $28 or $29 round trip, that is much less than renting a car.

I would choose to stay onsite simply because of the driving thing :)

Katholyn

I've only made 5 solo trips, but I normally average the same spending amounts for each trip.

flight Boston to Orlando (round trip) normally I pay just under 200.00 (180/195).

transportation to the park.....if mears bus (28.00) round trip
now if towncar (80.00 with coupon) round trip.

I have only stayed at a value resort and with a (AP) pass I
normally get the room for 55.00 per day. (7 day average)(385.00)

Passes (I purchase AP passes so this would be hard to determine).

Dinners, I normally leave 75.00 per day......being solo I usally eat small stuff during the day and enjoy a nice meal at night.

Souveniers.....use your own descretion....The first 3 trips I would spend allot, but now, I may just get a few keepsakes.

using these numbers, I can normally enjoy a 7 day trip for just over 1000.00 dollars.......keep in mind that I did not add in the AP pass.

I will always stay within the parks.......no car headaches....

The biggest reason is that when you stay within the park, you state of mind just stays on vacation and of course you continue to act like a kid.

When you stay offsite, the minute you turn on the ignition, and drive onto the main rodes, you must go back into the world of reality.

Go luck and have a great trip.

:)

I went on my first solo trip in September, 2002 for two weeks.

My costs were as follows:

POFQ (14 nights x $89 plus tax) $1383
Tiffany Towncar (w/discount) 72
Tips (luggage and limo svc) 25
Food 400
Flight (free Delta ticket) 10
Pass (annual pass from prev. trip) 0
EXTRAS: 3 tours and Cirque de Soleil 200

It came to $2090 with the extras. I have an AMerican Express Delta Skymiles card, so my airfare was free and First Class. I have enough points for two more first class tickets. If I have to pay for my airfare, I can usually get it for approx $240...but it's not first class. I am planning to go this September, but I will have to buy a pass for that trip, so the cost will be more.
I will always stay onsite on a solo trip as I don't want to rent a car and drive in an unfamiliar place, plus I like the security of staying on site.

Cindy:Pinkbounc

I've made quite a few solo trips to WDW. I always stay on property. I'm a DVC member so I usually stay at a DVC resort (I love having the refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot). When I'm short on points, I've taken advantage of AP rates at other WDW properties (I've got ASMusic for $49/night this Feb). I fly SWA out of Albany and usually can get a flight for under $200 r/t. Most times I rent a car because I like to hit the outlets and just like the freedom to go off property if I want. I've used L&M several times and have gotten some great deals. I don't buy too many souvenirs and my food costs can vary.

For 10 nights and if I have to buy a PAP, $2500 give or take a Disney Dollar or two.

Let's see:

Flight from Boston $200 Sometimes less.

10 nights onsite... roughly $1200. Depends on where I stay. I've done 4 different hotels in one trip because it sounded like fun. Actually, it was!

PAP $510 or so. It's a lot nicer when you make your second trip on that Annual Pass.

Tips and Transfers. $75 or so

Food $50 a day times 10 days $500 I almost never spend that much per day.

Scooter Approx. $200

Misc Stuff: $200 Everytime I go I ask myself why do I need more stuff from WDW. After 13 trips, you'd think I had enough. But every trip finds me coming home with at least a few things.

Roberta

January 2003 -- 8 days This is what you can do if you are flexible with dates (for example AP rate at resort is limited per night) and recheck availability and specials periodically for things like rental cars.

Airfare Boston to Orlando $200.
Rental car, 8 days, total $100. (more typically $150.) plus about $20. gas and tolls.
Meals budgeted $5-10./day for breakfast, $10-15. for lunch, $15-20. for offsite dinner. Somewhat weight conscious so kept drinks and midday snacks to a minimum.
Room: Some nights $40. (Motel 6 west of main gate) some nights $60. All Star AP rate (non-AP rate was $65.)
Bought premium AP for $520. , plan to go again end of this year.

(prices include taxes, fees, tips, etc.)

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 Doubletree Club
4/85 Kon-Tiki* on 192
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu & AP#1
12/98 Knights Inn on 192
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp & AP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 Motel 6 & ASSp & AP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned
*no longer exists

Thank you to all who replied and for the great information. I feel as though my original amounts after reviewing all is about on the mark (whether on property or not) and that the responses were pretty much in line with what I kept coming up with. I am hoping to return by years end and to buy the AP for future trips. I am thinking two of the trips will definately be on property and possibly a smaller trip off property right before AP ends for the year. At least I know the round about for what I will have to save and what I will have to limit myself to for several solo trips over the year.

Lastly, it is great to see how many people are taking solo trips to WDW. As I was just there in Dec., I did see several people who seemed to be by themselves in the parks. I can't wait for the experience to just do what I want when I want.
That is the definition of a true vacation.

What does AP stand for? Is it Annual Pass?

I'd certainly like to know.

Thanks!

quickie rough calculation: $200/day + airfare is a pretty good number. That's based on a lodging rate of about $89/night + taxes, and that's assuming you're in theme parks every day of your trip.

I've only had 2 solo trips, but learning more each time. I do like the moderates, and hope to get a room for $100 a night with a code. I usually have $100 a day for food and souveniers. The best part is no airfare. I use Delta's credit card thru Amex and in less than a year I have a free trip. I only use it where I would have to write a check..groceries, gas, cell phone, satelitte service etc. and I subtract it from my check book. That way, when the bill comes in it's paid in full. It adds up fast for flyer miles. The room charges are put on that card, and when the statement comes in I take the money from my credit union vacation club to pay it right off.

I do have to save a year in advance for my trip. It may seem costly in the end, but I have the best time doing solo at WDW. What I have to learn is not to spend so much on souveniers. Also, I love to take a tour every time I go. They can be great fun.

yecats,

Ever consider renting DVC points? You can sometimes see points for as low as $8 each on the rental board. Depending on the season, you can get a studio at OKW for ~50 pts 5 nights Su-Th or 98 pts for 7 nights. The studios have a microwave and refrig. so you can same some money cooking your own meals. It's really tough to beat that staying on property.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that DVC is an excellent suggestion for when I am planning to stay onsite. I have been recently looking into those renting boards averaging cost and it really does seem like a good deal. Only true drawback is having to catch one of the renters when they first post because there points go quickly. This is a great suggestion though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter