some of CARP's recommendations for border crossing

faithinkarma

<font color="green">I'm not a good swimmer, but I
We all know we should have a passport when crossing the border, but CARP had some other interesting suggestions.

Given that one thing the US Immigration is worried about is that you might be slipping into the country to stay, it is suggested that you travel with proof that you maintain a residence in Canada. Such as a Hydro bill, a property tax bill, a pay stub, a bank statement.

You may never be asked for them, but it is very reassuring to have that envelope in your pocket just in case.

My sister was once crossing the border, with an American friend, for a visit. She had a valid passport, but absolutely no proof that she resided in Canada ( who drives around with a hydro bill in their purse?), and she was turned away at the border.

So a passport is not proof of what country you come from?? I thought that was the purpose?
Also if you have your id with you (and why wouldn't you if you were crossing the border) it has your address on it.
Having a hydro bill is by no means a indicator that you plan on returning to the country! A person could just have one in there bag or some warped sense of thinking that it could throw off someone into thinking they are a resident who plans on returning. If immigration bases decisions on that sort of thing I think I would have some concerns.
Grover in Winnipeg :)

I think the thing is Grover, is that all a Canadian Passport really does is say that you are a Canadian citizen. The address that you fill in could even be outdated, I don't think anyone at the border has asked if I still live at the address I filled in. If you bring something that proves that you are CURRENTLY maintaining a residence in Canada, I guess US immigration figures you plan to return when you say you are because you have an invested interest to return.

I think this thread has some very valid points and something to think about.......

We live in the US - all hold Canadian Passports. So agree it doesn't indicate where you live.
For a while I didn't have a drivers license from the US - so I really didn't have anything that said I lived in the US - except for bills, bank statements, etc. In order to get my GA license, I had to produce a current bill or bank statement (no more than 30 days old) to prove I lived in GA. If you are going to carry a bill/stub/statement, it must be current. From my experience at the DMV they will look at the date and turn you away!

However, the original point is a good one, if you do not have another form of current ID (drivers licence, health card, etc) with your current address on it - along with your passport, then you should carry backup just in case.
You never know what they are going to ask.

Employer.

I just have a basic letter stating that I am expected back at work at a certain date. Grant it, they have not asked for it but I do have it.

Scratch
pirate:

Having a hydro bill is by no means a indicator that you plan on returning to the country! A person could just have one in there bag or some warped sense of thinking that it could throw off someone into thinking they are a resident who plans on returning. If immigration bases decisions on that sort of thing I think I would have some concerns.

All a passport does is prove you are a Canadian citizen.

What they might ask for is proof that you maintain a residence in Canada. If you have a home, bank account, job, etc., it is highly unlikely you are trying to stay in the US permanently.

Also if you have your id with you (and why wouldn't you if you were crossing the border) it has your address on it.

My drivers license is the only other photo ID I have. I last renewed it in June of 2002. I moved in July of 2002. When I went to the license bureau to advise them of my new address, they changed it in the system. But until June 2004, when I get my new one, the one I carry still has my old address on it. If this is the way they do things, then my ID is no proof of residence whatsoever.

I always travel with my passport. That is interesting though to carry bills, etc.
I just got my husband an Irish Passport, only for citizenship. He is entitled to it thru his father. I am also going to do this for our children.

Marilynn

I probably go to the US at least 10 times a year and I have never heard that before. A drivers license has always been enough. Keep in mind many CARP members are probably retirees who are going to Florida for 3-5 months at a time. Not really the same as the average family on a one week holiday.

Originally posted by Scratch42
Employer.

I just have a basic letter stating that I am expected back at work at a certain date. Grant it, they have not asked for it but I do have it.

Scratch
pirate:

Janet, before your employer supplies you with this, do you have to supply them with one that guarantees that you WILL return to work ... and not get a job as a CM on your next trip to Disney ? :teeth:

I think my boss sometimes wonders if I really am going to return !

Mary Liz

dsneygirl,

my sister was under 40 when she was refused entry, The thing is, you just never know what they are looking for on any given day, so why not arm yourself for any possible request?

Mary Liz - My next trip I will try to pull a fast one and type in that I will be relocating into the Castle!LOL

Let's see if my boss notices!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know for my October trip HOME, when I asked for those days off, he originally said "Yeah, sure whatever" then came back to me later and asked "You will be here on the Friday to do Payroll?" That's when I realized I had forgotten to mention about our Easter Trip!LOL I'll wait until after January's trip!

I will get a job there, when DD goes to College! Then I'm outta here! to go live there!LOL

Scratch

this is a good thread. my husband is American our kids have dual citizenship and I am Canadian and every time we cross the border (5X10 times a year) either the Cdn or the USA gives a hard time. We always travel with as much info as possible including bank statements and current bills. Once the Cdn guards made my husband write an essay on why he wouldn't go on welfare while he was visisting Canada. My husband has a very substantial trust fund from his grandparents but we didn't have our bank statements with us and they would not call his accountant to verify this. He was held for over 3 hours untill they finally issued him a visitor visa and let him pass through (this was for a 3 week vacation while we were still living in the US.)

In August when we went to LV the Americans kept me at the border for over 2 hrs verify that I had relenquished my American Green Card.

The original poster was correct even if you don't have to use it might save you some time at the border.

Allison

Interesting thread - I would not have thought there would be too many people who are citizens of either country trying to illegally stay in the other country.

As a Canadian citizen is there a limit (not talking about work or anything like that - just travel and leisure) to how long you can stay in the States?

thanks
jaysue

The limit is one imposed by the Canadian government. As a Canadian, you are only allowed out of Canada for one day less than half the year. If you leave for longer than that you no longer qualify for Medicare.

I am not completely sure what the income tax ramifications are, but I would guess that none of them woule be to your advantage.

I don't know what the US rules are for how long you can visit.

abbyndrewmom,

I also married an American, and border crossing is an experience I dread each time. I have heard such horror stories ....one person, another Canadian married to an American, got flustered and told a lie trying to speed up the process...got caught lying, and was banned from entering the US forever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter