Son with anxiety and Jedi Training Question

Bailey Smith

Earning My Ears
My son has anxiety that can leave him exhausted for the day if we don't handle it properly. The one thing that has come up that he wants to do that may be an issue is the Jedi Training at HS. He has asked repeatedly if I would be able to do it with him or be near him during the training. I told him I wasn't sure if I could. Does anyone know if this is allowed? He's 6 years old for reference.

No, I don't think adults are allowed once the kids start on the stage. They have some requirements for the kids, just to make sure they can follow directions, and you can be with him then, and when they get their robes, walk to the stage. And then they are on the stage, and you watch.

My son has anxiety that can leave him exhausted for the day if we don't handle it properly. The one thing that has come up that he wants to do that may be an issue is the Jedi Training at HS. He has asked repeatedly if I would be able to do it with him or be near him during the training. I told him I wasn't sure if I could. Does anyone know if this is allowed? He's 6 years old for reference.
if I am right by Disney rules no adults other than staff. just think what would happen if another child bumped into you while standing with your child and the child tells his parents that you touched him. you know where this is headed. so the no parent rule. I would prepared your child that you will not be able to be near him and he most likely will not be able to see you in the crowd as it is a lot easier to see you child on stage than it is for them to find you in the crowd. this is not sounding lie something that is going to work with your son as much as he might want to do it

My son has the same issues. Before they swapped over to signing up. he stood in line for the whole process and then faded in to the background when they got to him he was so overwhelmed. we watched the show and then moved onto the rides.. towards the end of the day he asked if he could try again.. so we went back and stood in line and he got chosen and he had a blast..

Sign your son up for the last show of the day,, get him to watch a couple of shows. if thats not possible , then get him to watch Youtube videos of the show.. and talk to him about what is happening.
and if by the end of the day , he still cant do it, then he hasnt spent the whole day upset that he couldnt do it ..

You can stand near at the circle. at either end , which will be easier for him to eye you.. make sure he knows the spot you will be standing at!

Hope he can get to do it.. but if not , thats ok too.. there are a lot of kids that cant for whatever reason or dont want too..

My son has the same issues. Before they swapped over to signing up. he stood in line for the whole process and then faded in to the background when they got to him he was so overwhelmed. we watched the show and then moved onto the rides.. towards the end of the day he asked if he could try again.. so we went back and stood in line and he got chosen and he had a blast..

Sign your son up for the last show of the day,, get him to watch a couple of shows. if thats not possible , then get him to watch Youtube videos of the show.. and talk to him about what is happening.
and if by the end of the day , he still cant do it, then he hasnt spent the whole day upset that he couldnt do it ..

You can stand near at the circle. at either end , which will be easier for him to eye you.. make sure he knows the spot you will be standing at!

Hope he can get to do it.. but if not , thats ok too.. there are a lot of kids that cant for whatever reason or dont want too..

Thank you! I wish anxiety wasn't so hard on our kiddos! I like the idea of having him watch youtube videos.

If you decide to try it, make sure you wear a brightly colored shirt or jacket--it will be easier for your son to see you--a funny, bright hat would help too, since you might not be able to be in front of the crowd.

Thanks for the tips!

Sometimes you never know.

Though never diagnosed with anxiety, DS was always very clingy and always wanted to know that a parent (preferably both) were in sight. Even if I went upstairs (telling him I was going), he would call for me panicked. Though this has subsided substantially as he has gotten older (he's 10 and normal at school, etc), I will still occasionally see him check to see where I am.

I took him to Disneyland regularly since he was one year old, just the two of us. He wanted nothing to do with costumed characters of any kind, nor would he go on any dark rides. He was a daredevil as long as the ride was outside.

Flash forward to when he was five (or whatever the minimum age for Jedi Training is) and he decides he wants to do this. I'm thinking that we will try it but he will never go through with it.

Flash forward again and he is selected from the crowd (they used to do it that way and thank you to the mom who took him from our second row position and stuck him out in front with her kids!).

Imagine my surprise as the kid marched out there never looking back, and did the whole thing. The kid too terrified to take a picture with Mickey or even a princess had no problem fighting a scary villain. Desire won over anxiety.

As the others said, watch the videos. He might even be able to learn and practice the sequence. Let him know whatever he decides (regardless of when he decides it), you're ok with his decision. Show him where you will be and wait to see what happens. You might be surprised or at least certainly proud that he stepped out of his comfort zone.

...and seriously, I still owe that mom, who pulled DS up front, a case of wine.

I totally agree with showing him videos on YouTube first. That definitely helps our son with his anxiety once he knows what to expect. He did the Jedi Training right before he turned 5. I waited with him while they got set up and walked with him over to the stage area where my husband was waiting near the edge of the stage. I made sure to point out to him where dad was and that we’d be waiting there and try to stand close if he could. When on stage he moved right nearby us. When it first started and kylo ren came out I could see tears swell up a little but kept smiling at him and giving him thumbs up and he calmed down and had a great time. We have such great pictures from it and he still talks about it a year later! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!