South Africa 2017 - Final Thoughts

Day 3 Cape of Good Hope

Today, after breakfast, we met up with the team and drove down towards the Cape of Good Hope. It was a lovely drive down the coast. It looks quite a bit like the Pacific coast of California (with ostriches).

35937128243_8d340fe3c3_c.jpg

Let’s all transport back to our middle school geography days. So, the Cape of Good Hope is not quite the most southern tip of Africa. That’s actually a few hours east of Cape Town. But it is the most South Western point of Africa, fwiw. It’s basically famous as the point at which the first voyagers found their way around the south of Africa. Despite rough seas, they named it the Cape of Good Hope because it gave them hope that they could now travel around Africa.

So, we made it to the geographic marker. Kind of cool. It’s felt like a nice little achievement. Certainly not life changing. Earlier this summer I bought a 66 degrees North shirt in Iceland, kind of a North Face equivalent for Iceland. So, that’s what I’m sporting here in the picture.

36350261650_1242f28c55_c.jpg

36746418665_8ee2759512_c.jpg

After the Cape of Good Hope we drove just a little further to Cape Point. My understanding is the Cape of Good Hope is the larger geographic land mass that we were driving down, whereas Cape Point literally is the most South Western point - the southern tip of the Cape of Good Hope. Regardless it was pretty.

36607084321_229c6baa00_c.jpg

36350286820_3d09297ca2_c.jpg

Afterwards, we had a nice lunch overlooking the ocean near Boulders Beach. After lunch we walked down to the beach to see the penguins. And they certainly were cute! That was probably the highlight of the day. It was really cool seeing them swim and waddle around.

36578640482_fd2974ff78_c.jpg

35914231924_5eb6cf54b5_c.jpg

36578697662_da2f7c033b_c.jpg

36701477076_5d6a66d096_c.jpg

We had a bit of a break when we got back the resort. Maybe a couple of hours. Dinner tonight was absolutely delicious. We drove out to Societi Bistro - Kind of a French African fusion. Food was very approachable. Very tasty. Wine was great and free flowing. The setting is almost like a refurbished or repurposed large home. It was very comfortable and one of my favorite meals of the trip.

It was a fairly simple day driving back and forth to the Cape. It was nice to start seeing some African wildlife. Ostriches, Baboons, Penguins… This ABD is cruising right along nicely. Everyone has been having a good time. What none of us on the trip realize yet is this ABD is about to take off in an incredible way.

ABD’s often get better and more impressive as the days go on. For South Africa, it’s about to get exponentially more impressive and go from a good trip, to an amazing trip, to a life changing trip. As I move into the next few days of the ABD, I think it’s worth it to spell out my feelings on the trip as a whole ahead of time. By the end of the SA ABD, I felt that this was THE best trip ABD has to offer. Furthermore, I frankly think it’s the best trip or experience Disney as a whole offers - including DCL, Aulani, and the Parks & Resorts around the world. I truly think this is Disney at it’s finest. And I’ll see what I can do over the next few entries to explain why I feel this way.

Last edited:
Penguins!!!! I love the penguins! :-) Did you have any other interaction with them other than watching from a distance? I know that's the proper way to observe wild animals, but they ARE penguins...so cute! ;-)

Thanks for the baboon picture! My son will be delighted. Your trip report has included so many amazing things so far. I'm very interested to hear how it went from amazing to life changing.

Kevin, I enjoyed reading through your report. We did a similar trip (non-Disney) and it popped up today on my Facebook that I was in Capetown 5 years ago today. My daughter still looks for kudu on the menu whenever we find African restaurants.

That makes me wonder whether our S. African restaurant has unusual game. My biggest surprise was eating ostrich. I did not expect red meat. I definitely miss the SA wine the most.

This is bringing back great memories of our South Africa ABD! We did the Langa tour too - with Chippa! - and I am so glad we did it to see a different, but real, side of the country. I can't believe it was 6 years ago - from the day we left we have been talking about when and how we can return to Africa.

Wow! That's amazing you Chippa 6 yrs ago. He's been doing this longer than I thought. I guess I was assuming it was only in the past couple of years they started the tours. That was really cool. I'm very glad we did it.

I've been doing that since 2001, lol. 2019 will be the year....

I'm not evaluating my younger children and trying to figure out when we can all go back. I'm guessing in the next 5 yrs. Honestly if it weren't for the distance and money, I'd go back yearly.

Penguins!!!! I love the penguins! :-) Did you have any other interaction with them other than watching from a distance? I know that's the proper way to observe wild animals, but they ARE penguins...so cute! ;-)

There is a raised wooden walkway that you view the penguins from. Some of the penguins are right there within arms length. We have so many silly videos just following them around.

Thanks for the baboon picture! My son will be delighted. Your trip report has included so many amazing things so far. I'm very interested to hear how it went from amazing to life changing.

I was sure to include that one. I might not have too many pictures once we left Cape Town as they're so commonplace.

My daughter, Amy, would probably want to do this trip just for the penguin experience.

Chris

They were so cool. So, cute. I loved watching them swim in the ocean and come back onto the beach. I could have watched that all day.

South Afriacian wine is one of the reasons I love the restaurants at animal kingdom lodge and kidani. South Africa is on my list but I also want to be able to spend time in the wine areas.

South Afriacian wine is one of the reasons I love the restaurants at animal kingdom lodge and kidani. South Africa is on my list but I also want to be able to spend time in the wine areas.

I agree! If I was on an adults only trip, I'd probably spend all day out in Stellenbosch at 2 or 3 wineries. Maybe a couple of days. It's so beautiful. Great wine. Cool people. More on that in Day 4.

ABD’s often get better and more impressive as the days go on. For South Africa, it’s about to get exponentially more impressive and go from a good trip, to an amazing trip, to a life changing trip. As I move into the next few days of the ABD, I think it’s worth it to spell out my feelings on the trip as a whole ahead of time. By the end of the SA ABD, I felt that this was THE best trip ABD has to offer. Furthermore, I frankly think it’s the best trip or experience Disney as a whole offers - including DCL, Aulani, and the Parks & Resorts around the world. I truly think this is Disney at it’s finest. And I’ll see what I can do over the next few entries to explain why I feel this way.

So excited to get a new installment of the trip report! And your overall assessment of how this trip ranks among ABDs and Disney trips in general has definitely given me food for thought in deciding between Tanzania and South Africa for 2019. Can't wait to read more!

Years ago, I went to a talk by Pauline Frommer (from the famous Frommer travel guides). She said the one trip everyone should have on their bucket list is Africa because it will be life changing. Well, you just confirmed it! I can't wait to read the rest of your trip report. 2019 can't come fast enough!

OMG! This is going to make 2019 a much harder choice. Especially after the scary stories of crowds and heat in China, I may end up putting this one back on top! (BTW, these hard choices are a good thing to have!). We saw Adventure Guide Landon in Peru and he had just come off the trip and said it was amazing. Can't wait to read more.

Today, after breakfast, we met up with the team and drove down towards the Cape of Good Hope. It was a lovely drive down the coast. It looks quite a bit like the Pacific coast of California (with ostriches).

Let’s all transport back to our middle school geography days. So, the Cape of Good Hope is not quite the most southern tip of Africa. That’s actually a few hours east of Cape Town. But it is the most South Western point of Africa, fwiw. It’s basically famous as the point at which the first voyagers found their way around the south of Africa. Despite rough seas, they named it the Cape of Good Hope because it gave them hope that they could now travel around Africa.

So, we made it to the geographic marker. Kind of cool. It’s felt like a nice little achievement. Certainly not life changing. Earlier this summer I bought a 66 degrees North shirt in Iceland, kind of a North Face equivalent for Iceland. So, that’s what I’m sporting here in the picture.

After the Cape of Good Hope we drove just a little further to Cape Point. My understanding is the Cape of Good Hope is the larger geographic land mass that we were driving down, whereas Cape Point literally is the most South Western point - the southern tip of the Cape of Good Hope. Regardless it was pretty.

Afterwards, we had a nice lunch overlooking the ocean near Boulders Beach. After lunch we walked down to the beach to see the penguins. And they certainly were cute! That was probably the highlight of the day. It was really cool seeing them swim and waddle around.

We had a bit of a break when we got back the resort. Maybe a couple of hours. Dinner tonight was absolutely delicious. We drove out to Societi Bistro - Kind of a French African fusion. Food was very approachable. Very tasty. Wine was great and free flowing. The setting is almost like a refurbished or repurposed large home. It was very comfortable and one of my favorite meals of the trip.

It was a fairly simple day driving back and forth to the Cape. It was nice to start seeing some African wildlife. Ostriches, Baboons, Penguins… This ABD is cruising right along nicely. Everyone has been having a good time. What none of us on the trip realize yet is this ABD is about to take off in an incredible way.

Your photo's are amazing. Cape of Good Hope reminds me of Cape Tribulation in Australia- not the northern most point (thats Cape York) but a famous Cape too - it was the area where Capt Cook (yes of Polynesian quick serve fame) had his ship grounded. Those African penguins look similar to the ones near Melbourne. Wonder if Southern Ocean penguins are related.

I love the AKL and their views,restaurants and wine. I stayed there for the first time in March and loved it. But recently stayed @ Beach Club and enjoyed that too for how close they are to Epcot and the Boardwalk's restaurants.

So excited to get a new installment of the trip report! And your overall assessment of how this trip ranks among ABDs and Disney trips in general has definitely given me food for thought in deciding between Tanzania and South Africa for 2019. Can't wait to read more!

Tanzania would be awesome. It's on my wish list now. Another advantage of SA (which will take me a while to get to) is it's proximity to Zimbabwe and Botswana. While not apart of the ABD, I'm really glad I had a chance to visit.

Years ago, I went to a talk by Pauline Frommer (from the famous Frommer travel guides). She said the one trip everyone should have on their bucket list is Africa because it will be life changing. Well, you just confirmed it! I can't wait to read the rest of your trip report. 2019 can't come fast enough!

Agreed. Africa should be at the top of everyone's bucket list. That can't be overstated.

OMG! This is going to make 2019 a much harder choice. Especially after the scary stories of crowds and heat in China, I may end up putting this one back on top! (BTW, these hard choices are a good thing to have!). We saw Adventure Guide Landon in Peru and he had just come off the trip and said it was amazing. Can't wait to read more.

I am so excited about being able to go back to China in less than 2 months. Super excited, especially getting back to Hong Kong (this time in the cooler Fall) and Shanghai. I really love those cities. HK with it's harbor and the neon at night. It's just beautiful. And I love, love the promenade in Shanghai overlooking Pudong across the river. They are both excellent trips. China was fascinating for both good and bad reasons. Really a perfect trip for an ABD especially considering the language barrier. SA was very special; it's changed how I view the world in several ways. Africa should be at the top of the bucket list.

Your photo's are amazing. Cape of Good Hope reminds me of Cape Tribulation in Australia- not the northern most point (thats Cape York) but a famous Cape too - it was the area where Capt Cook (yes of Polynesian quick serve fame) had his ship grounded. Those African penguins look similar to the ones near Melbourne. Wonder if Southern Ocean penguins are related.

I love the AKL and their views,restaurants and wine. I stayed there for the first time in March and loved it. But recently stayed @ Beach Club and enjoyed that too for how close they are to Epcot and the Boardwalk's restaurants.

I wanted to see the Penguins in Australia but just couldn't make it happen. It was cool to see these guys. I love the AKL too. I haven't stayed there in a few years, but I did go over there at the DIS 20th just to check it out before my ABD trip. There's a lot of influence from the Victoria Falls region in the AKL. Beach Club is one of my favorites though (along with the Poly). I'll be there at the BC just for a couple of days at the end of Sept.

Tanzania would be awesome. It's on my wish list now. Another advantage of SA (which will take me a while to get to) is it's proximity to Zimbabwe and Botswana. While not apart of the ABD, I'm really glad I had a chance to visit.

Yes, it's just a matter of time before I get to both. My DH and I did Zambia and Zimbabwe in 2001. The trip was actually spearheaded by my BIL's interest in seeing the total solar eclipse that year. I agree that Africa was life-changing. If/when we do South Africa, we are likely to go back to Victoria Falls since I'd like my kids to see have that experience. And your social media posts of your Botswana pics caused me to add that to my list as another add-on for SA. If we end up doing South Africa in 2019, I'll definitely be asking you for advice about Botswana....

Yes, it's just a matter of time before I get to both. My DH and I did Zambia and Zimbabwe in 2001. The trip was actually spearheaded by my BIL's interest in seeing the total solar eclipse that year. I agree that Africa was life-changing. If/when we do South Africa, we are likely to go back to Victoria Falls since I'd like my kids to see have that experience. And your social media posts of your Botswana pics caused me to add that to my list as another add-on for SA. If we end up doing South Africa in 2019, I'll definitely be asking you for advice about Botswana....

Just be sure to stay at the Victoria Falls Hotel.. and they book up early. I think I got the last room. I forget if I posted FB pics on that... Such as great hotel. More on that later.

Day 4 Stellenbosch

Stellenbosch was the top of my to do list for Cape Town. It’s the epicenter for winemaking in South Africa, and, like most wine regions of the world, it is beautiful.

36368602480_2e46e33c1e_c.jpg

After another great breakfast at the Table Bay, we headed east to Stellenbosch. Our first stop happened to be a winery, but we weren’t there to try wine. On the property of the winery was a bird rescue and rehabilitation center. I’m not a huge fan of birds. I don’t go out of my way at Animal Kingdom to check out Flights of Wonder. But it was enjoyable. Some of it reminded me of seeing the owls and falcons in Ireland at Dromoland Castle. Having said that, falconry at Dromolond was much cooler. Nevertheless seeing the birds up close and the demonstrations with several of the falcons and vultures was cool.

35930724174_ae806382b5_c.jpg

36625947721_04168e205f_c.jpg

36765291925_1c9b9f59c9_c.jpg

35956109493_59a9e0a922_c.jpg

36595350972_8552cb7546_c.jpg

36765343765_452549b3c7_c.jpg

36731276996_fe088d540d_c.jpg

Afterwards we headed to the Boschendal winery. There we were served lunch in the main building which was built in 1795. The exterior of the building had a beautiful thatched roof and the interior had wood floors and a wood beamed ceiling. The lunch was classic farm-to-table. Some of my favorites were the potato & leak soup, beet salad, bobotie (a SA specialty of lightly spiced beef with an egg and milk based topping), and their fresh bread. There were really endless options. It was so much food - one of the top 2 or 3 meals of the trip. And of course lunch was served with their wine - a sauvignon blanc and pinotage. You couldn’t go wrong. BTW, Pinotage is specific to S. Africa. Can’t get it anywhere else in the world. It’s actually illegal to export the vines. It’s a blend or clone of Pinot Noir and Hermitage. It’s red, jammy and delicious!

36595434122_69f851b240_c.jpg

36595404882_f1f566e154_c.jpg

36595424122_6ec19f80a3_c.jpg

It was a beautiful setting out at the winery. However, it was a little odd that there wasn’t any more focus on the wine itself. There was no tour of the winery or discussion with the wine maker. There was no set wine tasting per se, but wine was available for lunch and you could try both if you wanted. We actually go to another winery tomorrow where we do dive a bit deeper into the wine making and tasting. However, I would have preferred to do some of that in Stellenbosch - it’s such a famous wine making region. One of the great things about this trip is that there’s a lot of great wine to be had. Even when we were having dinner on our own, the wine prices and options were amazing.

After lunch, we headed to the actual town of Stellenbosch. It’s a cozy small town. They gave us some time to walk around and shop - maybe 30-45 min? However long it was, everyone that I spoke with agreed we would have preferred more time. Although my wallet preferred less time. There were 2 stores Jennae and Craig recommended. Sadly can’t remember the name to either. One was a jewelry store and the other sold clothing items and accessories made from exotic skins. It was like Supermarket Sweep. I’ll take one of those and one of those… The jewelry is very unique. One thing that is particularly popular are bracelets made from elephant hair. The hair falls out naturally so no one is harmed obtaining it. You’d probably never guess it was elephant hair… It’s black and thick… I’ll try to remember to take a pic of one I bought for Kate to give you an idea. But they were very popular. Most women on our trip bought a bracelet. They can be very casual and minimal with a couple of silver crimps that secure the hair into a bracelet. And they can be quite nice where it’s a silver bracelet or open bangle and the hair is decorated or woven into it. Very unique.

36455815960_1da12b2f25_c.jpg

The exotic skin place is very cool too. I’m sure I would have spent more with more time. I bought a caramel colored croc belt. Quality is identical with some name brand croc belts I’ve bought in the past and much less expensive. Gavin spotted and really wanted an eyeglass case in ostrich skin… It’s pretty fancy! I also got Kate a taupe mohair shawl adorned with taupe dyed ostrich feathers. The color is conservative, but the ostrich feathers (like tassels at the end of the shawl) made it look very African chic. It was a little out there, but I figure if the feathers were a bit over the top, she can get rid of the feathers and still have a good shawl… (A glimpse into the mind of the husband searching for a unique gift).

We headed back to Cape Town and the rest the evening was on our own. There really was no rush, I do wish they would have either allotted more time to the wine and vineyards or more time in the shops… or BOTH!

Dinner was on our own, and we didn’t have reservations tonight. The guides recommended Baia - a seafood restaurant. It was adjacent to the hotel in the shopping center. The guides felt it was the best seafood restaurant in Cape Town, and it was very good. If you’re looking at restaurants on your own, the restaurants I chose - Fork and Chef’s Warehouse were better and had a much more interesting atmosphere, but were an Uber away. Baia’s atmosphere was rather boring. It looked like an upscale restaurant in a mall; which is exactly what it is. The food was top notch though. We had mussels for an appetizer which surprisingly Gavin likes a lot. And then Gavin had langoustines soaked in butter and garlic - how can you go wrong? I had kingklip, a local fish.

36626101201_b04e6ea086_c.jpg

36626104201_5b25397ff5_c.jpg

36368685500_1b32f2aeeb_c.jpg

36368682100_531319c4ca_c.jpg

36368675090_1730c7f5d2_c.jpg

36368679820_9e202a0fb4_c.jpg

After dinner, it was packing time for tomorrow we leave for Knysna.

Last edited:
Another great report! It looks like this day has changed a bit since we took the trip in December 2015. We had time at the first place to do a wine tasting on our own after the birds, and then after lunch instead of shopping in town (which sounds great), we did a cooking activity making the national pastry of South Africa. It required that we switch from the bus to two separate vans to get to the cooking school which was up a rather steep and badly paved road, so that may be why they dropped it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!