South Africa/Capetown Water Shortage

heart

Mouseketeer
Looks like the South Africa itineraries don't start until June.

Have been watching the news (a dangerous pastime, I know). Cape Town is expected to effectively run out of water in April.

Not concerned that Disney won't make sure we're taken care of (more concerned they might cancel the trip if "day zero" actually occurs as I'm concerned about societal destabilization).

Starting the thread to gain any information from those who may be scheduled in June or otherwise "in-the-know."

Have been watching the news (a dangerous pastime, I know). Cape Town is expected to effectively run out of water in April.

Not concerned that Disney won't make sure we're taken care of (more concerned they might cancel the trip if "day zero" actually occurs as I'm concerned about societal destabilization).

Starting the thread to gain any information from those who may be scheduled in June or otherwise "in-the-know."
OK, I'm totally out of the loop on this. Why is Cape Town going to run out of water in April??

Sayhello

Didn't post the whole article, for space considerations, but the below is a start of an article from the BBC--

"Cape Town, home to Table Mountain, African penguins, sunshine and sea, is a world-renowned tourist destination. But it could also become famous for being the first major city in the world to run out of water.
Most recent projections suggest that its water could run out as early as March. The crisis has been caused by three years of very low rainfall, coupled with increasing consumption by a growing population."

The plans call for all water to be shut off to the city except for hospitals. There would be areas where you could go to get a certain amount of water every day.

I know there are signs posted in the washrooms in public areas, like the airport, asking you not to flush the toilets if there is just urine in them as it will use up a day's worth of water. Was in our paper here on the weekend. We noticed it because we have to fly through Johannesburg in May. We're not staying in South Africa, just transiting through to another country in Africa.

Didn't post the whole article, for space considerations, but the below is a start of an article from the BBC--

"Cape Town, home to Table Mountain, African penguins, sunshine and sea, is a world-renowned tourist destination. But it could also become famous for being the first major city in the world to run out of water.
Most recent projections suggest that its water could run out as early as March. The crisis has been caused by three years of very low rainfall, coupled with increasing consumption by a growing population."

The plans call for all water to be shut off to the city except for hospitals. There would be areas where you could go to get a certain amount of water every day.
:eek::eek::eek: That sounds horrible!! California had a drought for 14+ years, and never ran out of water! (Yes, I know they got it from Northern California). Is there really no-where they can get water from? This sounds like a disaster on so many levels!

Sayhello

I was just there in October. There were notices in the hotel urging water conservation, i.e. limiting toilet flushing, avoiding use of the bathtubs, and taking 3 minute showers. Bottles were provided to the room for drinking, no idea if that's standard procedure. This appears to go beyond that. The area has had serious drought conditions for a long time.

Not only will there be water distribution points, but according to local news sources there will be guards or police present to make sure nobody takes more water than the amount to which they are entitled.

I can't even speculate as to what the effect might be on tourist areas, hotels, or the scheduled ABD tours.

There is actually a tour scheduled to start January 19 and there is another on March 24.

I was just there in October. There were notices in the hotel urging water conservation, i.e. limiting toilet flushing, avoiding use of the bathtubs, and taking 3 minute showers. Bottles were provided to the room for drinking, no idea if that's standard procedure. This appears to go beyond that. The area has had serious drought conditions for a long time.

Not only will there be water distribution points, but according to local news sources there will be guards or police present to make sure nobody takes more water than the amount to which they are entitled.

I can't even speculate as to what the effect might be on tourist areas, hotels, or the scheduled ABD tours.

There is actually a tour scheduled to start January 19 and there is another on March 24.
Yikes! Definitely something to keep an eye on.

I'll be flying through Johannesburg in May as I have 2 connections in and out so will see what the situation is there at the airport and can report back at least as far as that airport is concerned.

I'll be flying through Johannesburg in May as I have 2 connections in and out so will see what the situation is there at the airport and can report back at least as far as that airport is concerned.
You do realize that Johannesburg is 1,400 miles from Cape Town, and is unlikely to be affected the same way as things going on in Cape Town? That's like saying Los Angeles is having a drought, I'm flying into the Little Rock, Arkansas airport and I'll let you know what the situation is like there.

Sayhello

Maybe they should look into getting their water through de-salinization plants from the ocean like most Caribbean countries do today. Are not those "politicians" suppose to figure this stuff out?

climate change is real folks.

Not in the know, but definitely following this thread. I read about the water shortage from other sources. How horrible! And while tourists may be inconvenienced, think about the poor people who live there and are facing this prospect!

You do realize that Johannesburg is 1,400 miles from Cape Town, and is unlikely to be affected the same way as things going on in Cape Town? That's like saying Los Angeles is having a drought, I'm flying into the Little Rock, Arkansas airport and I'll let you know what the situation is like there.

Sayhello
Johannesburg is actually 800 miles from Cape Town. It's about 1400 Kilometers...maybe that's where you got the 1400 from? I live in California. So that 800 miles is about the entire length of California...and the drought here has affected a major portion of the state. It appears that the drought situation IS starting to affect the areas around Johannesburg. I'm attaching an article for reference. Scary situation. We were on an ABD there last September and we were made aware of the drought and asked to limit showers, but that was about it. Will be interesting to see how ABD handles future SA tours. I'm heading to Johannesburg at the end of this month and will see if the drought really is affecting the area as this article states.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-crisis-spreads-from-cape-town-idUSKBN1FK27A

The South African Parliament just voted to seize white owned farms and lands.....there might be more to worry about than water shortage. Social unrest is unpredictable.

The South African Parliament just voted to seize white owned farms and lands.....there might be more to worry about than water shortage. Social unrest is unpredictable.
I'm actually glad I did my ABD last year. Water shortage will create social unrest...and the seizing of lands will only exacerbate the social unrest. Like I said in my earlier post, it will be interesting to see how Disney handles their future South Africa ABD's.

If I was booking now, I would not book ABD South Africa. This is all concerning.

They voted to amend the constitution for the government to be able to expropriate land without compensation. this means the land will no longer be the property of its current owner(s) and will belong to the government, and the government will lease it to whomever it chooses. Hasn't been determined yet when it would happen or which land will be subject. But there is some history there.

The situation with the water shortage in and around Cape Town is indeed concerning.

I e-mailed our TA about the shortage (we are going to KwaZulu Natal, Sabi Sands, JoBurg and Botawana in June) and I was assured that the shortage is just around Cape Town. However I have read that the shortage is spreading further, towards JoBurg and Pretoria. So I am not sure if / how we will be affected.

My hope is that that the winter rains will start before the June ABD departures and the trips won't be affected. I am sure that ABD must be re-thinking the Cape Town portion of the 2018 itineraries. From what I have read I personally wouldn't want to visit with the restrictions in place (2 minute showers, no washing hands in public restrooms {bottles of sanitizer are on the counters}, no flushing, etc. -- I just wouldn't want to do it). But I understand that for most the current water restrictions aren't a big deal at all.

I will say that if any company can pull off an amazing trip within the current restrictions, it's ABD! And having been to Cape Town, I can say that it is extremely beautiful and well worth visiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter