Southern Cali - tourism question re military museum(s) in and around SD area

jaysue

DIS Veteran
Noticed there are a number of military bases in and around SD area - are there any military museums or publically accessible areas where we might be able to take the kids? (they will be almost 8 and the other 4 during the trip)

Thanks in advance
jaysue

The biggest is the U.S.S. Midway which is now docked in San Diego Bay and be turned into a museum. The ship can be seen via a self guided tour, there are many planes on display, and the hanger bay has several different flight simulators. More at http://www.midway.org .

The U.S. Navy takes up a lot of San Diego Harbor. In fact, one of the three aircraft carriers based in S.D. is usually tied up right across the bay from the Midway. About a mile up the waterfront from the museum is the docks for the harbor tours. The northern tour takes you past the dock for the carriers, the North Island Naval Air Station (always busy), the submarine base and out to Cabrio Point. There is usually a lot to see going on. The southern tour takes you past the docks for the other ships (destroyers, tenders, etc.) on the other side of the Coronado Bridge. As far as I know there are no public tours anymore of the bases, but I haven't checked.

Also across the bay on Coronado is the Naval Special Warface Command and Silver Strand which is the facilities for the Navy's S.E.A.L.s. If you drive south along the Silver Strand you can get glimpaces of their training facilities; sometimes if you even just walking along the beach near the Hotel Del Coronado you can see them hauling their logs up and down the beach.

San Diego's Balboa Park contains a number of excellent museums as well as the San Diego Zoo. The San Diego Air & Space Muesuem has a fantastic collection of military and civilian aircraft. (The Balboa Park Museuems are the overlooked attraction in the whole city - it's a shame more people rush to Sea World and bypass these places).

If you're visiting in October, Miramar MCAS throws one of the largest air shows in the country. It's now a Marine base, but back when the Navy had it was made famous as the home of 'Top Gun' in the movie. Lastly, if you're driving from Disneyland to San Diego you'll pass right through Camp Pendleton, the primary west coast training facility for the Marine Corp. You can sometimes catch views of exercises, helicopters and landing ships off shore during exercises. But, again, neither of these facilities offer public tours that I am aware of.

Wow, that is a great summary - thanks for your kind posting and information

Best Regards
jaysue
:thumbsup2

Thanks Another Voice for such a great review and listing. There was a time when families could visit active submarines and ships docked in San Diego. In our current world situation, those tours have been curtailed. Prior to 2001, I was able to tour a nuclear submarine and it was an experience I will never forget. I hope that there will come a time when those tours will be reinstated.

There is, of all things, a retired Russian nuclear submarine docked adjacent to the Queen Mary that is open for tours. San Diego also hosts a large 'Fleet Week' celebration that still includes ship tours. However, you're right, most bases are closed to general public tours. Some are open to pre-arranged group tours (they ususally require 20 people or more), but it varies base by base. Each base does have their own website and can provide further information.

San Diego's Balboa Park contains a number of excellent museums as well as the San Diego Zoo. The San Diego Air & Space Muesuem has a fantastic collection of military and civilian aircraft. (The Balboa Park Museuems are the overlooked attraction in the whole city - it's a shame more people rush to Sea World and bypass these places).

We, too "discovered" Balboa park when we were planning our visit to San Diego. My parents recently moved to the SD area, and while I'd been there on quick trips before, hadn't really spent alot of time there. Balboa sounds amazing. And, Tues. they have free entry! They pick 2 or 3 museums and they get free entry. Which museum it is rotates per week. When we'll be there, I believe the Science Museum is the "big" one that's open. I'm planning on doing the Air & Space, too.

Quick question, for those in the know....I saw something about a train? Like a miniature train at the park? Anyone know anything about that?

The train in Balboa park is cute, goes past some little scenes...my daughter thought it was fun when she was 4, now at 6..she is over it!! But, we live in San Diego, so familiarity....
There is a really nice Merry-go-round very near the train. It is only open on weekends, but for $1.50 a ride, it a must-do. It is the fastest one I have ever ridden, and the ride is pretty long! It has Roosters, and cats and zebras...quite fun!

Balboa Park sounds quite nice

Still have to decide where to stay those first three nights

Cheers
jaysue

Since I have kids in the areas school district be forwarned about balboa park and during the week. . . certain times it has tons of kids. . . our kids have the luxury of being able to have trips to the zoo, the various parts of balboa park, in fact towards the end of the school year the fifth graders spend, i believe it is a week, doing the various museums, something they all look forward to!

I would recommend the trolley tour, it used to have on off privileges to various parts of San Diego.

whenever we have people come visit we try to accommodate the touristy things to what they are wanting. Some love Old Town, some love downtown. . . my MIL loves seaport village, not so much the shopping, just the cuteness of it and the nice walk you can have along the harbor.

HERE YA GO:

How can I tour a Navy Ship?
San Diego Naval Surface Ship Tours

Regrettably, due to our heightened security posture caused by the events of September 11, 2001, as well as the ongoing operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, ship tours for the general public have been postponed indefinitely. We are only able to accomodate pre-scheduled group tours (Boy Scouts, Sea Cadets, NJROTC, etc.) on specific days, contact (619) 437-5260 for more information. Additionally, if you are interested in visiting an aircraft carrier or a submarine, you must contact their respective Public Affair Offices: for aircraft carrier tours contact (619) 545-1133; for submarine tours contact (619) 553-8643.

Makes sense - it is unfortunate though - I am sure the kids will get a kick out of seeing the ships and planes in the area. Up here in Canada, we just do not have that concentration of military assets for the kids to see.

They saw the SD harbour on the Soaring film at WDW and cannot wait to see it in person

Cheers
jaysue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter