Southwest @ Manchester Airport

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Has anyone been able to fly SW out of Manchester on standby and not had to pay an increase in fare? I'm booked on one flight, but would love to get on an earlier one, but can't swing an extra $200 to do it. How flexible are they there? The website said to be there an hour before the flight, but with it being a holiday weekend, how early would you recommend? Now that SW has changed their check-in policy, and I need to sit as close to the front as possible (to avoid air sickness), I would rather be there too early, than be stuck with a high number and be sitting at the back of the plane. Finally, I have a rolling carry-on bag and a backpack. Their website is a little confusing. Will I have a problem bringing both on board? One will fit above the seat and one under. I had no problem last September, but times have changed. I really don't want to check my bag. Can any of you New Englanders help me with this? Thanks!!

As for carry on luggage you are allowed one piece of carry on (I think the dimensions are 24x16x12) AND one personal item/per person. The personal item is defined as: a purse, briefcase, laptop bag, etc. My husband and I flew out of Manchester last month and had no problem with a large duffle (overhead),a smaller carryon, a briefcase, and my purse..
Haven't done stand-by, so I can't help you there. I do know that they generally don't call people for standby until its almost time to board the plane (To give those with tickets a chance to check-in, I suppose). Although this may depend on how full the flight is. Good luck!

- Sharon

SWA explains their standby policy quite well on their site. Be prepared to pay the extra money. If you are flying standby, be prepared to sit wherever there is room, you will be among the last to board regardless of when you arrive.

Sharon explained the carry-on policy of Southwest the same way a SW employee explained it to me the other day. I also asked about their policy on letting passengers with disabilities on the plane ahead of time. The employee said it is up to the SW person at the gate. Wish me well! Good luck getting on an earlier flight.

The employee said it is up to the SW person at the gate. Wish me well! Good luck getting on an earlier flight.

Oh, someone told you wrong.

From the SWA site.

Prior to general boarding, Customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, and families with small children will preboard. Customers holding boarding pass "A" will begin general boarding, followed by Customers with boarding pass "B", and then "C."

RE: carry ons:

A Brief Outline of Southwest Airlines' Carryon Policy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAA mandated carryon policy:
In keeping with new security directives from the FAA, strict limits are being imposed on carryon items.

Airline passengers may now carry only one bag plus one smaller, personal-type item onboard the airplane.
All Customers' and Employees' items are subject to a thorough, physical search.
Personal-type items include purses, briefcases, cameras, food containers, or laptops (case included).
Assistive devices for qualified Customers with disabilities will not be considered carryon or personal items and may be brought onboard the flight in addition to the above.
Southwest Airlines limits carryon bag dimensions to 10x16x24 inches.
On Southwest Airlines, a child restraint device for a child who has been ticketed or who has a seat reserved will not be considered a carryon or personal-type item and may be carried onboard.

For further information on SWA's policies: http://www.southwestair.com/travel_center/

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
Oh, someone told you wrong.

From the SWA site.

Prior to general boarding, Customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, and families with small children will preboard. Customers holding boarding pass "A" will begin general boarding, followed by Customers with boarding pass "B", and then "C."

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Gail! I sure hope the SW person I spoke to was wrong, so I can preboard.

Thanks, Gail! I sure hope the SW person I spoke to was wrong, so I can preboard.

After my experiences with any employee from any company, I would take what is written on a public website as pretty solid over someone who may not be properly trained.

I do know I have bad knees and they were acting up very badly before one of my trips. I asked the gate person if I could possibly preboard because I was having a very bad time with my knees and she had no problem with this and allowing Dee to go with me.

I doubt you will have any problems.

Gail, thanks for mentioning your personal experience. I just hope my knees hold up! I'll post again & let everyone know how it went.

Just got back from a trip on Southwest from BWI to Manchester, NH & would do it again! I had no problem preboarding at either airport. At BWI I just got in the preboarding line - no questions. At Manchester I got a preboarding pass at the gate ticket agent. Manchester is a nice cozy aiproty compared to the larger ones like Orlando, Boston, Baltimore, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter