Space Mountain Refurb 2/25-?

I can handle the other closures but this with WOC makes me really frustrated. Our choices for the trip were end of feb/early march or Early june. Went with feb/march since we are going to aulani after and june is a really busy month for Aulani. And in truth Early june could still have a ton of clousures since spring doesn't end till june 20.

I'm as frustrated as others. But it does make the ticket deal make so much more sense with every new refurb added. I'm pretty much assuming at this point nothing is safe and much will go down in the months leading into May.

I figure they want to make sure nothing has to go down unless absolutely necessary so that they can operate at full capacity come summer.

I'm as frustrated as others. But it does make the ticket deal make so much more sense with every new refurb added. I'm pretty much assuming at this point nothing is safe and much will go down in the months leading into May.

I figure they want to make sure nothing has to go down unless absolutely necessary so that they can operate at full capacity come summer.

The only good way I can see it is the crowds this summer through end of year are going to be awful

Omg this makes me so mad! I literally just booked our flights this morning! We will be there March 12-16. Wonder if I should see about swapping our flights to mid-May? We've never been to Disneyland before and we are paying a fortune on flights so I will be really disappointed if the big rides are down!

Omg this makes me so mad! I literally just booked our flights this morning! We will be there March 12-16. Wonder if I should see about swapping our flights to mid-May? We've never been to Disneyland before and we are paying a fortune on flights so I will be really disappointed if the big rides are down!
You could just as easily have big rides down then. But I guess WOC odds might better later in the year. Refurbs will be common throughout the park until Memorial Day.

I did a little research, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the last time space had an extended refurb was 2014.

I’ll be at the parks starting on Sunday 1/20 so I’ll ask a CM how long when I get there and report back if no one else finds out before then.

I did a little research, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the last time space had an extended refurb was 2014.

I do recall it being refurbished in early 2014 as it was back up and running before our visit in late February.

You really never do know - we are headed there in 4 weeks and can't know for sure what rides will be up or down until we are there!

I do recall it being refurbished in early 2014 as it was back up and running before our visit in late February.

You really never do know - we are headed there in 4 weeks and can't know for sure what rides will be up or down until we are there!

Here's the historical closure list from touringplans. Looks like August to September 2017 was the last extended refurb. Before that, May to June 2014 was the last extended one (unless you count the one in 2015 when it stayed closed for almost a couple weeks when they were removing the Ghost Galaxy overlay):
  • November 1, 2018
  • September 6, 2018
  • May 3, 2018
  • November 1, 2017
  • August 21, 2017 to September 14, 2017
  • May 30, 2017 to May 31, 2017
  • November 1, 2016 to November 2, 2016
  • November 1, 2016 to November 2, 2016
  • September 6, 2016 to September 8, 2016
  • November 2, 2015 to November 15, 2015
  • September 7, 2015 to September 10, 2015
  • May 6, 2015
  • November 3, 2014
  • September 8, 2014 to September 11, 2014
  • May 27, 2014 to June 29, 2014
  • November 4, 2013
  • September 9, 2013 to September 12, 2013
  • April 14, 2013 to May 2, 2013
  • November 5, 2012
  • September 10, 2012 to September 13, 2012
  • September 9, 2011 to September 15, 2011
  • September 12, 2010 to September 16, 2010
  • April 19, 2009 to November 14, 2009

ugh!!! i am making my first ever trip to DLR Feb 27 and I won't get to ride this. Was really looking forward to see the differences between the DLR and WDW ones. Starting to think this trip is gonna be not quite what I was expecting..... No castle, no Fantasmic, WOC, Space. At least Splash will be back up and running haha

It's my own fault, but I purchased tickets way before they announced the discount, so I didn't even get the discount to soften the blow. Trying to look on the bright side, I suppose this gives us more time to ride Thunder, Splash, and Guardians (our favorite), but this still leaves a sting. Also now seeing the hope is dwindling for WOC. Guardians and Incredibles at night could be fun I suppose.

It's my own fault, but I purchased tickets way before they announced the discount, so I didn't even get the discount to soften the blow. Trying to look on the bright side, I suppose this gives us more time to ride Thunder, Splash, and Guardians (our favorite), but this still leaves a sting. Also now seeing the hope is dwindling for WOC. Guardians and Incredibles at night could be fun I suppose.

See, that's the thing. I get the discounted tickets and it is refurb season, but even buying those tickets, people don't expect half the park to be shut down. I mean, it isn't right now, but if they announce more like some think they will, that won't be cool. I feel like the discount was really motivated by the pre-Star Wars lull as people may say, let's just wait until Star Wars.

See, that's the thing. I get the discounted tickets and it is refurb season, but even buying those tickets, people don't expect half the park to be shut down. I mean, it isn't right now, but if they announce more like some think they will, that won't be cool. I feel like the discount was really motivated by the pre-Star Wars lull as people may say, let's just wait until Star Wars.

Wait, we think MORE are going to be down? :scared:

See, I love SW, but I am still not going near DLR for at least a few years after SWGE opens. It gives me anxiety just thinking about those crowds, lol, plus with raising prices (not just Disney, but flights too), we just can't swing yearly trips anymore. It will be at least 2 years before we make it back to a Disney Park (World included) so it's hard not to be so disappointed that favorites will be down.

Wait, we think MORE are going to be down? :scared:

See, I love SW, but I am still not going near DLR for at least a few years after SWGE opens. It gives me anxiety just thinking about those crowds, lol, plus with raising prices (not just Disney, but flights too), we just can't swing yearly trips anymore. It will be at least 2 years before we make it back to a Disney Park (World included) so it's hard not to be so disappointed that favorites will be down.

Well, the way some are talking here, they expect it. I don't really, but it could happen. Hopefully nothing major thought. If WoC comes back I'll consider that a consolation.

I sent an email to see if an end date was anticipated for the space mountain refurb. I told them we planned to be in the parks March 12-15 and just wanted to see if the refurb would be lengthy or possibly a short one. I received an email back today. Here is the info I received. Just wanted to share.

Jan 20, 6:41 PM EST

Thank you for contacting the Disneyland® Resort in Southern California!

I am sorry to hear that Space Mountain will be under refurbishment during your visit. While no public date has been released yet for when it will be back open, I can tell you that we anticipate it to be back in the middle of March. While I don't want to discourage you from visiting on the dates you are planning to come, I can say that most likely you would not be able to go on Space Mountain for those dates.

We encourage you to come in late March or even April to play it safe if this attraction is paramount to your visit as refurbishments are sometimes unpredictable in terms of when they will come back online for an exact date.... allow me to explain a little more. Safety is our number one concern and we are very big on preventative maintenance. During this refurbishment our Walt Disney Imagineering along with our Leaders in Maintenance and Safety will do a full inspection of the attraction, while we have planned for specific things to be done to it, it is possible that other things may arise during the refurbishment, things that are still in passing condition but would need to get replaced 6 months down the line, for example, would be replaced while it was already offline for the existing refurbishment to prevent another time of it coming offline and to ensure the utmost safety for our Guests.

I know that was a very long explanation, but hopefully, it gives you a little insight into why we do not have an exact date yet. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Have a Magical day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter