Space, Splash & BTMRR strategy

DrummerBoy523

DIS Veteran
Going the week after July 4th. Will be at MK on 7/7. My teenage boys love the mountains, so I'm looking for a RD/FP+ strategy for riding the three mountains twice each.

Unfortunately, there is EMM that day so RDing Space might not be as feasible as I'd prefer. Usually we can get on Space in under 10 mins at RD but I've heard that the EMM crowd sometimes hits Space at park opening causing more of a delay. Will that matter?

Anyway - here are my thoughts - and I would appreciate any other strategies to help me achieve my goal:

I have two approaches:
1. Make 11am FP for Space, Noon for Splash and 1PM for BTMRR and try to RD all three before Noon expiration of the Space FP
Pros: I definitely think this is doable
Cons: Limits the use of SDFP until we use up the last FP. Some back and forth to Space (would a better order of rides work instead??)
-or-
2. Ride them all back to back. Make earlier FP (start at 9 for Space, 10 for Splash, 11 for BTMRR) - then try the following:
- RD Space, then use 9am FP
- RD Splash next, then use 10am FP
- RD BTMRR next, and then use 11am FP

I think I would do a 9AM FP for either Splash or BTM and then a 10AM for the other. 11AM FP for Space. RD BTM then over to Splash (I prefer to do it in this order as Splash is a longer ride which could allow a longer line to build for BTM). After Splash use a FP to either do Splash back to back or use the BTM FP...follow up with the remaining one of the two. FP Space after that. Once you tap into Space start looking to add another Space FP. In the time it takes to walk through the FP queue and, if needed, to walk out the long exit walkway, you should be able to grab a Space FP. If not, then (this hurts to say) possibly ride Standby. This really would limit it to only one longer wait should you not be able to find the additional Space FP.

I think I would do a 9AM FP for either Splash or BTM and then a 10AM for the other. 11AM FP for Space. RD BTM then over to Splash (I prefer to do it in this order as Splash is a longer ride which could allow a longer line to build for BTM). After Splash use a FP to either do Splash back to back or use the BTM FP...follow up with the remaining one of the two. FP Space after that. Once you tap into Space start looking to add another Space FP. In the time it takes to walk through the FP queue and, if needed, to walk out the long exit walkway, you should be able to grab a Space FP. If not, then (this hurts to say) possibly ride Standby. This really would limit it to only one longer wait should you not be able to find the additional Space FP.
Thanks - that probably makes more sense to get up there and hit BTMRR and Splash first. Space is definitely our 3rd priority so I am "ok" pressing my luck with trying for a same day FP.

I've done Space on a EMM and it's not a long wait at all. I think I would go to that one first, get it out of the way and then move onto your others.

I've done Space on a EMM and it's not a long wait at all. I think I would go to that one first, get it out of the way and then move onto your others.
This is what we typically do. We will RD Space, then get over to Splash. I might still make the space at the end and come back and hit it later. Just looking to see what others have done. Anything to make this easier is fine w/me!

This sounds like a great plan. If you have to do space standby you might also try at park close. Once fastpass line empties and is closed the standby line will move a lot faster.

This sounds like a great plan. If you have to do space standby you might also try at park close. Once fastpass line empties and is closed the standby line will move a lot faster.
Yeah, I don't think we've ever gone to MK and NOT gotten a SDFP for Space. We've also found that the wait is virtually nil during the parade.

Typically we do the following:
  1. RD Space so usually you can get a minimal wait
  2. Reride space if line is still under 30
  3. Have FP for space at 930 so possible 3 rides in the first hour or so
  4. BTM have FP set right after Space
  5. Ride BTM in standby if line short, typically in morning you can get away with that
  6. FP BTM
  7. Have FP set for Splash shortly after BTM
So we can typically ride Space 3x, BTM 2x and Splash 1x usually all before 1PM sometimes sooner depending on crowds. In July that could cause some issues.

We usually RD Splash and Thunder with no issues. Then I would FP Space later in the day when you’ll be over in that side of the park.

I would develop a plan that does not have doing rides back to back that are on opposite sides of the park.

Rope drop BTM and then do Splash without FPs. Most people do not want to get wet that early, so the line for Splash should be manageable. Do an early afternoon FP for Space and fit in other FPs like HM, PP, or SDMT between your time in Frontierland and your Space FP.

I've never understood the benefit of a plan that has you criss-crossing the park 3-4 times throughout the day.

I would develop a plan that does not have doing rides back to back that are on opposite sides of the park.

Rope drop BTM and then do Splash without FPs. Most people do not want to get wet that early, so the line for Splash should be manageable. Do an early afternoon FP for Space and fit in other FPs like HM, PP, or SDMT between your time in Frontierland and your Space FP.

I've never understood the benefit of a plan that has you criss-crossing the park 3-4 times throughout the day.
I haven't seen any suggestions that have us criss-crossing the park 3 to 4 times, so I'm not sure if you're driving at something other than just that specifically? (I agree that I don't want to be criss-crossing 3-4X).
FYI - we would likely start at Space, then walk over to BTMRR/Splash. Then, hit Space again later in the afternoon or on our way out of the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!