• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Special Offers from National Geographic/Linblad

Bobo912

DIS Veteran
Got an email today from National Geographic with special offers. Trips are probably more suited for adults or families with teenagers, so I don't think it is for us, but thought I would pass it along. Below is the Galapagos offer. They have this same offer for several destinations and some other very good offers. Destinations include several in Europe, Alaska, and Costa Rica...others as well. Here is a link to the offers: http://www.expeditions.com/All_Offers593.asp?sc2=footer

Make a new booking today and receive FREE AIR + $500 off for a limited time on select 2010 departure dates. Call for details. We specialize in small ship expeditions, so our cabin inventory is limited. We encourage you to call us at 1-800-EXPEDITION or email us to find out if there are special rates that you may take advantage of.

Got an email today from National Geographic with special offers. Trips are probably more suited for adults or families with teenagers, so I don't think it is for us, but thought I would pass it along. Below is the Galapagos offer. They have this same offer for several destinations and some other very good offers. Destinations include several in Europe, Alaska, and Costa Rica...others as well. Here is a link to the offers: http://www.expeditions.com/All_Offers593.asp?sc2=footer

Make a new booking today and receive FREE AIR + $500 off for a limited time on select 2010 departure dates. Call for details. We specialize in small ship expeditions, so our cabin inventory is limited. We encourage you to call us at 1-800-EXPEDITION or email us to find out if there are special rates that you may take advantage of.
OMG, did you look at the prices? For Alaska, their *cheapest* rate was $5650 per person! Even with free airfare and $500 off, that's way more than ABD (where the most expensive date right now is $3,539) No way my airfare was $1611! (More like $750). I'd have to look at some of the places where it would be more expensive to fly, like Europe, to see if it made more sense for those trips.

Sayhello

OMG, did you look at the prices? For Alaska, their *cheapest* rate was $5650 per person! Even with free airfare and $500 off, that's way more than ABD (where the most expensive date right now is $3,539) No way my airfare was $1611! (More like $750). I'd have to look at some of the places where it would be more expensive to fly, like Europe, to see if it made more sense for those trips.

Sayhello

Yes the trips are expensive. But I think there are probably some more expensive activities and not a lot of time spent on a bus (although I enjoyed the time on the bus looking at the scenery). There are more meals included too. And there are actually activities on the first and last where with ABD the only thing on the first and last day are transports to and from the airport. So maybe that's the difference. Not trying recommend the trips, just passing along the info. Not sure where you're getting the rates for the ABD Alaska trip. There are two dates in June that are $3919 and four other dates that are $3769. The lowest adult rate is $3599. National Geographic did have some discounts off Europe trips, but they are long and really expensive! The Norway, Scotland, Faroes and Iceland trip looks interesting. The offer on it was $2000 off + free airfare. But it's 15 days long and the regular prices range from $9990 to $18680. Looks like an awesome trip though. I'll take that one when I win the Powerball. :)

Not sure where you're getting the rates for the ABD Alaska trip. There are two dates in June that are $3919 and four other dates that are $3769. The lowest adult rate is $3599.
Um, it's called being an idiot and looking at the Child's price column. D'oh! Sorry! :confused3

I didn't really look at the detailed itinerary, but you're right. If the first & last days include activities, then you get more for your money. It's definitely worth looking at, but most of the itineraries look to be much longer than 8 days, and it's not going to save you any money over ABD. But options are always good!

One thing I did notice about the Alaska itinerary, though, is it doesn't seem to go inland; it's really more of a cruise than a land tour. Going to Denali or Kenai is an extra extension. So it's kind of hard to compare the 2...

Sayhello

Yep...like comparing apples and oranges. They're definitely catering to a different clientele too, more of the naturalist type, I suppose. Although they do offer family trips at times and had one to Greece for next summer where they throw in some activites that are geared toward kids, more in an educational sense than ABD, I think. But if you have lots of money and plenty of vacation (or you're independently wealthy) they look like great trips.

We're going with NatGeo/Lindblad to the Galapagos in March after much research and I will tell you that pricewise it's much better than ABD.

ALL meals, excursions (it's much more of an naturalist educational cruise), snorkeling equipment, 2 night hotel overnight in Guayaquil, airfare to/from Baltra from Mainland Ecuador, etc is included. The only thing in a 10-day vacation that is not included is a Quito excursion and gratuities for the ship staff. The cruise we're doing even though not advertized for "kids" will have 21 kids under the age of 16 and that to me is pretty good since the ship only sleeps 92.

When I called ABD to get a quote on one of their similar excursions - the price that I was quoted was $1,200 more per person.

We're going with NatGeo/Lindblad to the Galapagos in March after much research and I will tell you that pricewise it's much better than ABD.

ALL meals, excursions (it's much more of an naturalist educational cruise), snorkeling equipment, 2 night hotel overnight in Guayaquil, airfare to/from Baltra from Mainland Ecuador, etc is included. The only thing in a 10-day vacation that is not included is a Quito excursion and gratuities for the ship staff. The cruise we're doing even though not advertized for "kids" will have 21 kids under the age of 16 and that to me is pretty good since the ship only sleeps 92.

When I called ABD to get a quote on one of their similar excursions - the price that I was quoted was $1,200 more per person.

That's great! When you get back, I would love to hear how your trip went.

czycropper, for the free air fare offer, do you know if it is free from any point of origin, or only from specific cities?

I am interested in the National Geographic trip to the Galapagos and would love to hear how your trip is!

I am interested in the National Geographic trip to the Galapagos and would love to hear how your trip is!

A trip to the Galapagos is next on my bucket list after the Med. I had investigated several possibilities and was leaning to ABD. The National Geographic offer sounds great though. Here's a link to a cruise critic review of one of the ships: Cruise Critic review

A trip to the Galapagos is next on my bucket list after the Med. I had investigated several possibilities and was leaning to ABD. The National Geographic offer sounds great though. Here's a link to a cruise critic review of one of the ships: Cruise Critic review

Thanks for posting the link, abdmom. This sounds like something we would really enjoy and if there are 21 kids on czycropper's trip in March, then there is probably a good chance of even more kids during the summer months. I'm going to keep this one on the radar - if not this summer, maybe 2011.

Sorry y'all I haven't been online for a few days :)

Bobo912 - the free fare is from Miami and since we wanted a direct flight from NY they gave us a $500 flight credit and then we booked the air through them so our flight from JFK to Guayaquil cost us $168.

I will definitely post our trip report when we get back in April, we're so excited and are in countdown mode (10 weeks & 36 hours :lmao: )!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter