Split ages advice, 2, almost 4, 8, 10, and 12 year olds

formytinkerbelle

Mouseketeer
My in laws are going to take us to Disney so it will be them, my husband and I with our 4 kids, my brother in law and his 8 year old. I just cant imagine getting around the parks with this big age difference. Has anyone done it? Advice? Should I just expect to have to split up the adults and kids so they will get to do their interests?

I would plan some of both. There are lots of attractions you can all enjoy together as a family. But there will also be times where you might want to split up so that the older kids can enjoy the bigger thrill rides (if they are into that).

I think that that’s the beauty of WDW. There are so many rides that the whole family, all ages, can enjoy together. And if there’s a ride the littles can’t get on, there’s frequently a little play area nearby for them to play on while the older kids ride. I have split aged kids as well (ranging from 2-18) and we always stay together.

That's not bad at all-we have 6 kids that range in age from 8-23 years old, so we have a huge gap. We don't typically split up much. All of the rides that the little ones can go on we do as a family. It isn't like an amusement park where the little kiddie rides big people can't ride. While the older kids ride bigger rides, we take the little ones on a nearby ride, have a snack, or play on a nearby playground. Disney is fairly well set up for this. Nap time is also a great time to ride bigger rides.

Great points thanks! I didnt realize there were little areas around where big rides might be...that's awesome! I would love to stay relatively together so nice to know it's possible :)

We have 5 kids from 15 down to 2 years. We stay together. We all like the "little kid" rides. And when the older ones are doing a big kid ride, the littles get to do the close-by little kid rides, usually 2-3 times. You know how they love repetition.
The older kids love watching and helping the little ones experiencing the parks.
And take advantage of Rider Switch!

We always spend part of the day in divide and conquer mode. My 3 (very different ) boys are four years apart (and then there was the trip that included my niece and nephew!).....We end up having a better day when we have planned time together (some rides, a TS meal, an event) as well as time when the kids can drive the to-do lists. If staying together sounds appealing/fitting, go for it (imagine all the great extended family photo ops). But perhaps be prepared for the possibility that it will hard for your group. Better to be ready to accept having to change gears than be disappointed and unsure what to do. Have a great time :)

I would take a look at the height-restricted rides and see how you can best split up the groups, use RiderSwitch and make your FP's. You can always find something to do with the littler ones, even if it's an I Spy game in a gift shop! Or people-watch! "Show me someone wearing a Goofy t-shirt", etc. Plus snacking... those who are riding a ride aren't going to be able to scarf down a Mickey Bar, but those of you who are NOT stuck in a line or on a ride sure can! ;)

Oh and take as many bathroom breaks as you possibly can, with that many kids. There are often looooong lines for the bathroom so you don't want anyone doing The Dance with 24 people ahead of you! Sometimes it felt like we were doing more touring of the facilities than having fun on rides, ahahaha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter