Split stay and groceries

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
So, we’re planning a split stay CBBR and RPR. Usually, we buy some groceries and snacks, including perishables that we keep in the hotel fridge.

If we have to check out of one resort by 11am, and can’t check in to the next until 4pm, that’s a lot of unrefrigerated time. I know sometimes a room will be ready before 4, but I don’t want to risk food poisoning on a maybe.

Does bell services have the ability to pop some things in a fridge for us? Any other suggestions?

They used to . . .but I'm not sure if things have changed now. I thought I read somewhere that Bell services would no longer refrigerate. I hope someone can confirm either way?

Piggybacking on this question to ask whether they will also move your luggage from one resort to another?

mac is correct. This info varies at times.

I had heard they won‘t touch any food now, we’ve never used that service so have no idea if and when it did stop.

As for luggage, they used to move from deluxe to deluxe and from lower levels hotels up, but not from deluxe to say Cabana Bay.

But several folks contradicted saying they were able to do it.

Again, not a service we ever utilise. Calling for updated info would be advisable.

So, we’re planning a split stay CBBR and RPR. Usually, we buy some groceries and snacks, including perishables that we keep in the hotel fridge.

If we have to check out of one resort by 11am, and can’t check in to the next until 4pm, that’s a lot of unrefrigerated time. I know sometimes a room will be ready before 4, but I don’t want to risk food poisoning on a maybe.

Does bell services have the ability to pop some things in a fridge for us? Any other suggestions?

I agree with Mac, contact the hotel.

They do have a fridge, it is typically reserved for medical items requiring refrigeration, with the new covid stuff not sure if this is still available either.

When we get closer to our travel dates, I'll call. What their policies are now could be very different from what their policies are in August, depending on how the virus tracks in Florida. The situation has changed quite drastically since I first posted this question. Hopefully, the pendulum swings back the other way soon.

That`s certainly true about things changing quickly.....some more than others!!

So a call would be a good idea, then you have the correct info. Please let us know what the answer is if no one else has the updated info by then.

As others have said check to be sure, but the grocery limitations so far are for initial delivery. Moving food has been a part of split stay convenience. so if that was going to change I would hope that they would make it clear.

We asked about luggage transfer while staying at RPR on June 7. We were moving to Cabana Bay but did not mention what hotel we were moving to when I texted the question, just that it was another Uni hotel. They answered they were unable to transfer luggage.
We also just bought shelf stable milk bc we thought it was extremely unlikely they would put random people's food together in cold storage. I doubt that's a perk that's coming back for a long time, if ever, but agree that calling and asking is the bet best for accurate info.

Best to just get what you can consume and have non perishables, and drinks can re-cool. Good luck! We are hotel bouncer-arounders, too. Ramen noodles make for a cheap kid meal! Lol

It's more of a hassle than I would be willing to do, but perhaps when you buy your snacks you could pick up a cheap styrofoam cooler, fill it with ice from the machine, and secure it closed tightly with a strap or two so it doesn't leak while at bell services? I more agree with wilbret, use up the perishables at the first place you stay.

Huh. I didn't even realize they were trying to stop this. It has been no problem at RPR. Every time I stay, I have asked for food to be refrigerated during the day (ie. last day of vacation) while we're at the parks. They have always put our food in the fridge. We just did this again on 6/21, at the same place you store the rest of your luggage during the day.

Also, it wasn't an issue this time, but in the past we've had food scheduled to be delivered on the first day of our vacation, but when we arrived at RPR the room wasn't ready. They have had no problem refrigerating the food in the interim. Makes me wonder if I've been unknowingly taking advantage....

As others have said check to be sure, but the grocery limitations so far are for initial delivery. Moving food has been a part of split stay convenience. so if that was going to change I would hope that they would make it clear.
[/QUOTE
What are the initial grocery delivery limitations? Are they still allowing grocery delivery? Do they store cold items?

Huh. I didn't even realize they were trying to stop this. It has been no problem at RPR. Every time I stay, I have asked for food to be refrigerated during the day (ie. last day of vacation) while we're at the parks. They have always put our food in the fridge. We just did this again on 6/21, at the same place you store the rest of your luggage during the day.

Also, it wasn't an issue this time, but in the past we've had food scheduled to be delivered on the first day of our vacation, but when we arrived at RPR the room wasn't ready. They have had no problem refrigerating the food in the interim. Makes me wonder if I've been unknowingly taking advantage....
What delivery service do you use? Thanks

It's more of a hassle than I would be willing to do, but perhaps when you buy your snacks you could pick up a cheap styrofoam cooler, fill it with ice from the machine, and secure it closed tightly with a strap or two so it doesn't leak while at bell services? I more agree with wilbret, use up the perishables at the first place you stay.
We did this... the cheap foam coolers are $3 at walmart and used small gallon size ziplocks with ice.
I ordered from walmart.com (walmart/doordashdelivery) I planned on the 2 coolers anyways just because the mini fridges dont hold much and not that cold.
Amazing what buying a box of ziplocks is good for anyways.

Reviving this thread...

We will be doing two spit stays this summer. Each time we start at a Disney Vacation Club Villa and then move to a Loews hotel for a few nights.

Anyone have recent experience checking into Sapphire Falls or one of the Deluxe hotels and having groceries held in cold storage at check-in or check-out?

I can now share my personal experience. Loews hotels do not offer cold storage.

Since this seemed the likely outcome, I prepared ahead of time by picking up a reusable hot/cold grocery bag when we were doing our shopping for our DVC stay. I packed the bag with a few cold things and then put loose ice all around it. I managed to put more items in the bag than could fit into the small fridge at Universal!

The hot/cold reusable bag worked great and is now stored in our owner's locker for future use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter