Split stay Universal/Disney and scooter rental? Too complicated?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
Hi guys!

We booked a trip for March and choose to do a split stay between Universal and Disney. We planned 3 nights at Sapphire Falls with a 3 day park to park ticket for Universal and then 4 nights at the Polynesian Resort with a 3 day park to park ticket at WDW. Originally it was just my husband, kids and myself, but now we've decided to invite my parents-in-law on the trip.

My mother-in-law has a mobility issue so she will need a scooter to get around. She can get off her scooter and walk for short periods of time but she is scheduled for a hip replacement in April and it is painful for her to move around or stand for long periods of time.

Now I am thinking of just forgetting the split stay and staying at Disney the whole time to make it easier on her. My mother in law insists she is fine with switching hotels but I think she just doesn't want us to make any concessions for her. She has never been to Universal and told me she wants to check out the Harry Potter sections but she will not be able to ride many attractions since she cannot take any hits to her hip. Many of the rides are really rough at Universal especially those in the Harry Potter section.

Another concern is the scooter rental. I read that Universal does not have many ride that can accommodate scooters. The guest would need to transfer to a wheelchair before each attraction. At that point I should just rent a wheelchair for Universal and then a scooter for Disney but then I would have to pay for two separate rentals.

Another problem is the taxis. We are flying in to Orlando and taking a taxi to Universal. We should all fit in one of those Taxi vans. But if I do rent a scooter at Universal I would need to disassemble it and bring it with us to WDW. I don't know if all 6 of us could all fit in the taxi with our luggage and the scooter to go to Disney World. We might have to take two taxis? Another expense.

Honestly it is not the money the issue because we'll do what we have to do. I just don,t want my mother in law to get to tired and I want us all to have a nice relaxing vacation. Is it just too complicated to do this split stay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should be fine. Its really no big deal to take a scooter apart if you rent a travel one. If she can walk for a short distance transferring to a wheelchair at a few rides isn't a problem either.

You should be fine. Its really no big deal to take a scooter apart if you rent a travel one. If she can walk for a short distance transferring to a wheelchair at a few rides isn't a problem either.
Ok great. That reassures me! I just want to make sure she enjoys the trip as much as all of us.

I don't think it would be a problem. You really want the scooter with you when you go to Universal. It's a hike from where you are dropped off just to get to the entrance of the park, and of course Potter is in the very back of both parks.

That said, Diagon Alley in particular is not scooter-friendly. The shops and lines are really tight. I don't think scooters are allowed in any of the ride lines in the Harry Potter rides or Olivanders. She'd have to transfer to a wheelchair. Hogwarts express does accommodate scooters, just follow directions because there is an elevator to access the tracks on both sides.

I don't think it would be a problem. You really want the scooter with you when you go to Universal. It's a hike from where you are dropped off just to get to the entrance of the park, and of course Potter is in the very back of both parks.

That said, Diagon Alley in particular is not scooter-friendly. The shops and lines are really tight. I don't think scooters are allowed in any of the ride lines in the Harry Potter rides or Olivanders. She'd have to transfer to a wheelchair. Hogwarts express does accommodate scooters, just follow directions because there is an elevator to access the tracks on both sides.
Yes that's what I was worried about in Diagonal Alley. It looks really tight especially since we are traveling during March break with high crowds. But a scooter would be so much easier than pushing around a wheelchair all day. The only good thing is that she can get up from her scooter and walk for a little bit so if we see it's too crowded she can park it somewhere and walk into the shops, Ollivanders and Hogwarts Castle.

Yes that's what I was worried about in Diagonal Alley. It looks really tight especially since we are traveling during March break with high crowds. But a scooter would be so much easier than pushing around a wheelchair all day. The only good thing is that she can get up from her scooter and walk for a little bit so if we see it's too crowded she can park it somewhere and walk into the shops, Ollivanders and Hogwarts Castle.

What exactly is she thinking to do in Hogwarts? It's a very long queue, and the ride is very jarring.

What exactly is she thinking to do in Hogwarts? It's a very long queue, and the ride is very jarring.
I don't think she will be able to do Escape from Gringots or Forbidden Journey as both are too jarring for her. I think she can take in the sights, go into the stores, go into Ollivander's. She will be able to enjoy Hogwarts Express. I am just talking about how tight the streets of Diagon Alley will be with full crowds and trying to get through with a scooter.

I don't think she will be able to do Escape from Gringots or Forbidden Journey as both are too jarring for her. I think she can take in the sights, go into the stores, go into Ollivander's. She will be able to enjoy Hogwarts Express. I am just talking about how tight the streets of Diagon Alley will be with full crowds and trying to get through with a scooter.

Oh - when you said "Hogwarts Castle" I thought you meant inside the attraction.

Call the rental companies that interest you and ask if it's possible for them to move the scooter for you with a single, week long rental.

Call the rental companies that interest you and ask if it's possible for them to move the scooter for you with a single, week long rental.
Good idea! I will call them tomorrow to see if they offer this

I just returned from staying at USF and called Mears for an accessible van to go offsite from USF. They sent a minivan, their driver drove it on and the cost was the same as a regular taxi. Perhaps she and someone else could take the taxi? If I remember it was around $30.00

I was really disappointed when I was at WDW/Universal in June. At Universal in Diagon Alley, as you all were saying I could not go into a single store because I was in my power chair and had my service dog. It's kind of amazing to me that they would not even try to make that part of the park as accessible as the rest. Don't they have to? How do they get out of it??

I hope you have a fantastic time, by the way!! With preparation like you're doing, I bet it will be very successful!!

You can rent through Walker and they will deliver/pick up from both places. You can arrange transportation from Universal to Disney through Universal and let them know you need an accessible van to transport a scooter. It's reasonably priced and that way you don't have to stress about taking the scooter apart or fitting it in a van.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter