Sprained Ankle

zobel0022

Earning My Ears
So I just sprained my ankle pretty bad and we leave Sunday for Paris Escape and Seine River. How bad is this going to be? Went to doc and got a soft and hard boot.

Feel so bad as this is trip is for my wife’s 40th birthday. Am I going to be a drag on everyone else or will I be able to be accommodated even though I’m not going to be able to walk long distances? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ouch! Sorry! Hope you heal quickly!

I'm as unlucky as you can be and every time I am about to leave for a trip I hurt myself; busted my knee, fractured my foot, etc. I've found that the adrenaline in the moment works wonders but I have to keep moving, keep being excited, because the second I stop-instant crash and I feel everything, I also feel it at the end of the day and in the morning. Make sure you have pain relievers and I found that heat always helped me best (heating pad, icy/hot, and hot baths).

I'm not too sure about accommodations, hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in.

I'd call ABD and give them a heads up, in case some type of accommodation needs to be made. They may be able to do something now, if you wait, you may be out of luck. Other countries are not nearly as "accessible friendly" as the US.

Good luck with your trip! (I spent the summer of 2013 in a boot, and then non-weightbearing after they figured out it wasn't a sprain, but broken, and then in a boot again during PT - literally the whole summer from 6/1 through Labor Day.) But the saving grace was that, with the boot, I could pretty much walk normally. I mean, it didn't get better, but didn't get worse or hurt more from my walking in the boot - they are pretty amazing. I went pretty much everywhere with it. When I was at home (or the office) and able to put my foot up, I did. Ice worked better for me, to keep the swelling down, but everyone is different on heat/cold thing. You should have some ability to do this during down time (even if it is in a bus, sitting at a cafe or on the deck of the boat with an adult beverage). And yes to a supply of Advil.

And I echo the comment about Europe not being as accessible friendly as the US - all those cobblestone streets, fewer hand rails on stairs, etc. Be careful walking around. I find that I spend so much time looking down to not trip when I'm in Europe, but I so want to be looking up and around at all there is to see.

Oh - one other point - try to find shoes that are the same height as your boot, so that you aren't walking all odd (like one leg is shorter than the other). For instance, I had two pairs of heals that worked great with my boot, and so did my tennis shoes, but no sandals or flats did.

Again - hope you still have a wonderful trip!

First Get your Airline to have Wheelchair assist Service ( Should be free of charge ) to take you

from Checkin counter & Through Security & on to Boarding Gate ALSO MAKE SURE that This

is Arranged at Arrival Airport from arrival gate to ABD Tour bus

The Rest is up to you Remember you can SIT Down And people watch while the others do the walk tour PROVIDED you arrange to be at a meeting point

Enjoy your Trip

It is NoW 01.45 am Friday French time 0045 Am U.k time

I would like to extol the virtues of IcyHot Max Roll-on with Lidocaine. A little over 3 weeks ago, I tripped stepping off the curb and sprained my ankle, and had a trip to Los Angeles a week later for a wedding. Lots of walking around and stuff. I kept the ankle well-wrapped, and the IcyHot Max really helped to keep the swelling and pain down. I think with the boot the doctor gave you, and some IcyHot, you should be fine. Just take it easy walking on the cobblestones, and do take advantage of pre-boarding on your flights (just tell them you're injured and need it when you check in or at the Gate). I think you should be fine. Those boots really work wonderfully well. I've been in one before, and it really helps. We had a young woman in a boot on my Danube River Cruise, and she kept up wonderfully. I was really impressed.

Best of luck, and ENJOY your trip!!!

Sayhello

Look at getting a sports supportive brace. I got one from a running store years ago that has very supportive gel that compresses the ankle during my racing days and a tendency to sprain my ankle a fair amount. Its less bulky than a boot but kept everything in place and still supported the healing process.

So I just sprained my ankle pretty bad and we leave Sunday for Paris Escape and Seine River. How bad is this going to be? Went to doc and got a soft and hard boot.

Feel so bad as this is trip is for my wife’s 40th birthday. Am I going to be a drag on everyone else or will I be able to be accommodated even though I’m not going to be able to walk long distances? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Now that you are in Paris Please let us know How your flight journey went ?

And the rest of your holiday are you enjoying it ?

I broke a toe about a week before a cruise. I used a hard boot for protection—very handy when an airline passenger in front of me dropped her suitcase on my foot. Call the airline and arrange for wheelchair assistance, especially at connecting flights. I bought a lift to attach to the shoe of the non-booted foot. I think it helped prevent back strain. That said, I was able to do most activities without the boot and without holding up the rest of the group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter