Spring into a New Beginning- APRIL 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Classes during your lunch sound awesome, is this something your company does? I need to go to a foam rolling class. I feel like I am always doing it wrong.

Yes, my employer started this a few years ago and it has become quite popular. They even have some sort of running club (after work) and other classes as well. Most lunch time classes are only 30 minutes, but it is better than nothing. We pay a very small fee, so it is not totally free. But the 30 minutes count as work time.

it is supposed to be a moth but everyone seems to think it's a butterfly

It totally is a moth, not a butterfly. A pretty moth though!

QOTD:

My favourite sport is hiking I would say. I enjoy running and swimming, but more for doing something active if I must. In school I actually played basketball because no one plays this here and they needed people, so it was easy to be appreciated despite mediocre abilities. And in kindergarten I was in the diving team of the local swimming club. I had so much fun, but we moved away and the new place did not offer any diving. I still marvel at the memory of doing summersaults from the 3m diving board when I was 6. And shudder thinking about it now!

What is your favorite sport? Is it one you play or just watch? Did you play any sports growing up?

I played tennis in high school and college and still love to play today. I can still hit well, but I definitely tire out way too soon to seriously play a match very well. I really should get out and do it more, because it's great exercise! Both of my DDs played in high school too, so it's fun to go play with them.

When I was in high school, our town had a round-robin type tennis chain set up with names of people who had signed up to be in the summer league. Each week we were given a name and number for someone we had to set up a time to play with that week. I wish something like that still existed in my town because it was a great way to "make" myself play and also made you play with new people that you wouldn't usually play with.

My favorite sport to watch is baseball! In our house we have Cardinal baseball on almost every night. We are actually going to the game today while the Cards take on the Blue Jays!

My son's baseball team was supposed to play after the Cardinals game. It's a fundraiser that they do each year. The team has to sell a certain number of tickets to the Cards game. From that they receive a certain percent of the ticket sales as money for their team and then they get to play on the field after the regular game ends. Unfortunately last night's Cardinals game was a rainout, so they are playing a double header today. That means our high school game will be postponed. They will still get to play sometime, but will most likely be on a day when the Cardinals are not in town. The boys still got to take a bus down early, tour the locker room and watch batting practice down by the field. I'm anxious to see how his morning has been.

I played tennis in high school and college and still love to play today. I can still hit well, but I definitely tire out way too soon to seriously play a match very well. I really should get out and do it more, because it's great exercise! Both of my DDs played in high school too, so it's fun to go play with them.

When I was in high school, our town had a round-robin type tennis chain set up with names of people who had signed up to be in the summer league. Each week we were given a name and number for someone we had to set up a time to play with that week. I wish something like that still existed in my town because it was a great way to "make" myself play and also made you play with new people that you wouldn't usually play with.

My favorite sport to watch is baseball! In our house we have Cardinal baseball on almost every night. We are actually going to the game today while the Cards take on the Blue Jays!

My son's baseball team was supposed to play after the Cardinals game. It's a fundraiser that they do each year. The team has to sell a certain number of tickets to the Cards game. From that they receive a certain percent of the ticket sales as money for their team and then they get to play on the field after the regular game ends. Unfortunately last night's Cardinals game was a rainout, so they are playing a double header today. That means our high school game will be postponed. They will still get to play sometime, but will most likely be on a day when the Cardinals are not in town. The boys still got to take a bus down early, tour the locker room and watch batting practice down by the field. I'm anxious to see how his morning has been.
I used to be a big Cardinals fan, back in the days when Mark McGuire was playing. I went to see them play in Milwaukee and in Phoenix, and got really great seats, both times right behind their dugout. Don't follow our Mariner's as closely, but love to go to games at Safeco Field, and would like to do Spring Training some time. While in Oklahoma City the canal tour guide was pointing out their ballpark where they have a AAA Dodgers team, and I was thinking it would be really fun to go to a minor league game.

With color and sound added to cartoons now, Walt wanted to make one that was longer. The result was Three Little Pigs. It premiered at Radio City Music Hall in New York City in 1933. It wasn't a big success there but when it opened in neighborhood theaters it exploded. It played in the theaters for months, which was unusual for cartoons at the time. The audience demanded more pigs, Walt was reluctant to repeat any of his work but he went ahead and had 3 more pig movies made. They did not do as well.

View attachment 233625

Walt started to win awards for his work and was being accepted more and more into Hollywood society. He also took up Polo. And after years of infertility he finally had a daughter just 13 days after his 32nd birthday. Diane Marie Disney was born on December 18, 1933. Things were looking good again.

What is your favorite sport? Is it one you play or just watch? Did you play any sports growing up?​

I love soccer. I started playing when I was like 7 or 8 and played through high school. I just played on the rec league which I loved. My freshman year I played JV for the school and hated it. I am not that competitive with the sport. I liked to talk with the other players too and the team hated it. So I went back to rec after that and just had fun playing. I liked when I got to play Co-Ed soccer. It was so much fun going up against the guys.

Sophomore year I twirled the flag in the marching band. Junior year I played the symbols in the marching band. Then senior year I went back to flag except this time I twirled a rifle as well. Also my senior year I took a Jazz class and loved it. I did try to twirl flag in college but it was just too much with working full time and school.

I don't play soccer anymore but would love to. Maybe as the kids get older. I do get out and play with the kids though. I just got rid of my cleats and shin guards from high school.:worried:

We do love watching football in our house. It is a big fall to do for us. Sunday nothing is one but football. We start off with the sports shows and then the games. We have the red zone channel so we get to watch all the games that are on at one time. The flip back and fourth between the games. I am in a fantasy league at work and with the family. I won the family league last year with only losing 1 game all year. My son is really into basketball and baseball so we have been putting that on every once in awhile.

I think I got everything. I was pretty active as a kid. If I wasn't playing soccer I was out riding my bike with friends.

And in kindergarten I was in the diving team of the local swimming club. I had so much fun, but we moved away and the new place did not offer any diving. I still marvel at the memory of doing summersaults from the 3m diving board when I was 6. And shudder thinking about it now!
Wow that is so cool, I couldn't imagine my kindergartener diving off a 3m diving board :)

I love that you play tennis with your girls! I hope my kids still want to run with me when they get older.

I love soccer. I started playing when I was like 7 or 8 and played through high school. I just played on the rec league which I loved. My freshman year I played JV for the school and hated it. I am not that competitive with the sport. I liked to talk with the other players too and the team hated it. So I went back to rec after that and just had fun playing. I liked when I got to play Co-Ed soccer. It was so much fun going up against the guys.

Sophomore year I twirled the flag in the marching band. Junior year I played the symbols in the marching band. Then senior year I went back to flag except this time I twirled a rifle as well. Also my senior year I took a Jazz class and loved it. I did try to twirl flag in college but it was just too much with working full time and school.

I don't play soccer anymore but would love to. Maybe as the kids get older. I do get out and play with the kids though. I just got rid of my cleats and shin guards from high school.:worried:

We do love watching football in our house. It is a big fall to do for us. Sunday nothing is one but football. We start off with the sports shows and then the games. We have the red zone channel so we get to watch all the games that are on at one time. The flip back and fourth between the games. I am in a fantasy league at work and with the family. I won the family league last year with only losing 1 game all year. My son is really into basketball and baseball so we have been putting that on every once in awhile.

I think I got everything. I was pretty active as a kid. If I wasn't playing soccer I was out riding my bike with friends.
I hate when sports become too competitive. It does take the fun out of it. We have an awesome soccer program in our neighborhood that is all about having fun, it was so refreshing after the kids did a year of super competitive baseball.

Does knitting while watching TV count?
I'll allow it :D and I think your moth looks like a moth. I think people just glance at it and assume it's a butterfly because most people have butterflies. But I love it, your artist does amazing work! I hope your weather improves soon.

My answer: I'm sure everyone knows by now I'm a runner. I just started watching it on tv which I never thought I would do but it has become fascinating to watch the elite runners. Other than that I don't typically watch sports. I blame it on my brother, he played college baseball and I was dragged to his games every weekend (8 hours away). So it has kinda ruined me for sports. Growing up I played softball and rode horses. Surprisingly I got really in shape riding horses.

I totally forgot! So this is my new tattoo. It's on my arm that I'm working on a half sleeve (for now). It's a pocket watch in American traditional style but the glass in the watch face is cracked.

This is a reference from The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. There was a passage in the book that always stuck with me and I knew I wanted it tattooed on my body in a visual way.

"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."

There's a bit more to it but that's by far my favorite part. Just a little reminder that you can't conquer time and that focusing on the time you've used, the time you have left, the time you wasted is a hopeless cause. And it's caused a lot of people to lose their hopes and dreams. Because they're so focused on it. So this may actually be one of my favorites that I've gotten so far. I only have one small (in relation to the other tattoos) space left before I'll just need little fillers to complete the half sleeve. So exciting!

upload_2017-4-28_8-23-26.png

I totally forgot! So this is my new tattoo. It's on my arm that I'm working on a half sleeve (for now). It's a pocket watch in American traditional style but the glass in the watch face is cracked.

This is a reference from The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. There was a passage in the book that always stuck with me and I knew I wanted it tattooed on my body in a visual way.

"I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it."

There's a bit more to it but that's by far my favorite part. Just a little reminder that you can't conquer time and that focusing on the time you've used, the time you have left, the time you wasted is a hopeless cause. And it's caused a lot of people to lose their hopes and dreams. Because they're so focused on it. So this may actually be one of my favorites that I've gotten so far. I only have one small (in relation to the other tattoos) space left before I'll just need little fillers to complete the half sleeve. So exciting!

View attachment 233810
I love it! The color is amazing.

View attachment 233810
Wow - that's awesome! I had planned on staying with black/grey but when I see color work like that it makes me reconsider. I also had no intention of doing a complete sleeve, but I'm to the point where the gaps and open spaces are starting to "speak" to me, so I'm adding a second Bee to fill in the space that bothers me the most. And great backstory, love the quote.

Walt's business was growing. When he lost Oswald and most of his team he was left with six employees. After Three Little Pigs he had 187. He trained his employees well. There were art classes at the studio and they also went on field trips to places like the zoo so they could learn to draw animals. The only problem was his employees kept being lured away by other studios, even though those studios could never reproduce the success that Disney was achieving.

walt-ward-life.jpg

At the same time, in the midst of the depression, it was getting harder and harder to make cartoon shorts profitable. In 1934 Walt came up with an idea to make a cartoon feature. He estimated it would need a budget of $500,000. Roy and Lily were not convinced it would be a good idea. One night he assembled the animators on a soundstage and acted out every part of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Then he announced that it was going to be their first feature. People started to make fun of Walt and his work on a cartoon feature. They dubbed it Disney's Folly. But he pressed on and $1.5 million and years of hard work later Snow White finally opened in December 1937. It was a smash hit, making $8 million at the box office in its first release.

Snow_White_1937_poster.png

When Walt's employees left for other studios he didn't let it bother him. He just trained new artists. How do you handle it when you see people having success at living a healthy lifestyle? Do you get jealous or depressed? Or are you happy for them and use it as encouragement?​

I have a hard time when I see people having success with losing weight around me. Not that I wish them bad but I always feel like why isn't that me. Sometime it gets me down because I work so hard I feel like I deserve to have better success than them. To deal with it I try to find out what they did to have the success. Also when I get to know someone I learn that they had struggles too and it wasn't as easy for them as it appeared.

I'm really loving all the history about Walt Disney! I never knew much about him and have found all your posts to be really interesting.

How do you handle it when you see people having success at living a healthy lifestyle? Do you get jealous or depressed? Or are you happy for them and use it as encouragement?

I try to always be happy and encouraging. I do get jealous but I try to shut those feelings down right away and just work a little harder towards my goals. There is nothing worse than a friend who tries to bring you down instead of celebrating your accomplishments so I'm very careful about not being too negative of a person.

QOTD: It makes me happy when I see others having healthful success, and it inspires me to feel like I can do it too. The more healthy people out there in the world the better!

Still eating "freely", but will get back to more controlled eating this weekend. I have about 6 weeks until I go to the crafting retreat, and I'd like to drop the weight I just put back on, plus 5 or 6 more pounds before I go. Which reminds me that I need to purchase the airfare for that trip here real soon. I've also been thinking more and more about WDW in November, as free dining just came out for the period we're looking at... need to touch base with the gal I'll be rooming with to see if she has the room booked yet.

So far for the weekend I have the healthy living workshop Saturday, And Sunday is my Sister's birthday so I need to see if she'd like to do something, maybe go to brunch somewhere and/or go see Beauty and the Beast because yes, the weather forecast is for cold temps and, wait for it, rain, so going to a movie might be nice.

How do you handle it when you see people having success at living a healthy lifestyle? Do you get jealous or depressed? Or are you happy for them and use it as encouragement?

I'm getting better with it as I get older. I now realize that (at least as adults), most people that are healthy work at it. I realize that there are some exceptions to the rule, but I think most people who lead a healthy lifestyle and are thin, put at least some thought and work into it. As kids, I think many are just naturally thin, but as people age, I think most have to put work into it.

I work with one lady in particular who is around my age and seems like the perfect size to me. She has started talking more lately about how she goes to the gym 3-4 times a week and walks the other days. When I do that, I also do better on my weight loss. I just need to keep that in mind as I try to not be jealous of others.

At least that's what I'm telling myself lol!

Walt's business was growing. When he lost Oswald and most of his team he was left with six employees. After Three Little Pigs he had 187. He trained his employees well. There were art classes at the studio and they also went on field trips to places like the zoo so they could learn to draw animals. The only problem was his employees kept being lured away by other studios, even though those studios could never reproduce the success that Disney was achieving.

At the same time, in the midst of the depression, it was getting harder and harder to make cartoon shorts profitable. In 1934 Walt came up with an idea to make a cartoon feature. He estimated it would need a budget of $500,000. Roy and Lily were not convinced it would be a good idea. One night he assembled the animators on a soundstage and acted out every part of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Then he announced that it was going to be their first feature. People started to make fun of Walt and his work on a cartoon feature. They dubbed it Disney's Folly. But he pressed on and $1.5 million and years of hard work later Snow White finally opened in December 1937. It was a smash hit, making $8 million at the box office in its first release.

View attachment 233816

When Walt's employees left for other studios he didn't let it bother him. He just trained new artists. How do you handle it when you see people having success at living a healthy lifestyle? Do you get jealous or depressed? Or are you happy for them and use it as encouragement?​

All of the above. It depends on who it is. My sister well that is jealousy at its finest. In my head she is not allowed to weigh less then me. I have always been the thinner one and it must stay that way. When she was losing weight last year is when I lost the most weight. I used it to get my butt in gear. I know feel bad in a way because she has put it all back on. She was only doing it to win a contest at her work. She did win and then went back to her old habits.

With my friends we are all trying to do this together. So when one is doing really good then I am happy for them. For people I don't really know, I say to myself why can't I look that way. But then quickly say that I will get there.

Wow - that's awesome! I had planned on staying with black/grey but when I see color work like that it makes me reconsider. I also had no intention of doing a complete sleeve, but I'm to the point where the gaps and open spaces are starting to "speak" to me, so I'm adding a second Bee to fill in the space that bothers me the most. And great backstory, love the quote.

Thank you! I love black and grey tattoos too. The moth looks great, the details are super precise and the line work is awesome. But yes, one thing I've learned with tattoos is to never say never. People always ask me about mine and it's funny because I kinda forget that they're there a lot of times. To me, they're just a part of my skin. People sometimes get distracted when I talk because I talk with my hands a lot and so I'm waving around very colorful limbs now haha. My goal is to show people that you can be a professional, hardworker and still have ink.

Thank you! I love black and grey tattoos too. The moth looks great, the details are super precise and the line work is awesome. But yes, one thing I've learned with tattoos is to never say never. People always ask me about mine and it's funny because I kinda forget that they're there a lot of times. To me, they're just a part of my skin. People sometimes get distracted when I talk because I talk with my hands a lot and so I'm waving around very colorful limbs now haha. My goal is to show people that you can be a professional, hardworker and still have ink.

I've noticed the same. If I have short sleeves on people can see everything on my arms but with long sleeves it used to just be the Bee at the base on my thumb and a few leaves that were visible, but now the moth is always out there for everyone to see and some have been distracted.

What is your favorite sport? Is it one you play or just watch? Did you play any sports growing up?
I enjoy watching diving, gymnastics, figure skating, ice dancing, and ski jumping. As far as my doing any sports I used to do some horseback riding when I could but didn't have leads for a while and now I can't get up on a horse. I did basketball in 6th grade because it was required and hated the whole 7 to 8 minutes a game I had to play. My exercise program as a kid and teen was WE'VE GOT STOCK OUT ALERTS which met everyone was out the door to keep them off the highway so they weren't hit and then to get them corralled and in where they belonged. Except for two of the colored ones ( any sheep that is not a white body is considered colored) who we swore were part goat as they just casually would jump the fence and then just eat right there waiting for someone to come put them back in with the others-if you took too long to notice them they would baa very loudly or if we were gone they would come greet us with loud baas that almost said about time you got home. I rode my bike a lot as well and my mom could only narrow it down to I would be somewhere in a 48 sq mile area, that I was usually with several of my school mates ( there were 12 of us had we not gone into one of two larger towns who would have been from grades 1-12 together with 3 more who came in later but ended up graduating with us and 4 of us attended K together) unless I went into the smaller of the larger towns to meet up with a friend I knew from camp though if I was going there my mom usually knew and would just call her mom to get an idea where we were. Loved having the freedom and wish my daughter could have the same but now a days busy bodies tend to get in people's business too much claiming higher crime rates which actually they were higher back in the 80s than now it's just with instant news 24 hours a day we hear about it more. The really strange thing is my parents knew more than most people thanks to having relatives in law enforcement but still let my siblings and me head all over the countryside but would have had an entire herd of cows if they realize how much I let my oldest go about unsupervised before we got her a cell phone which I am sure the neighbors are happy about since I no longer stand at one of the doors and yell for her on the property or the street behind us)

If they are people who seem to be able to eat everything in sight, claim they don't work out hours a day and don't gain an ounce cue the green monster of jealousy because totally not fair and where is the justice in the world. I tend to get a bit depressed not over their success but over the fact that my body so often says hell to the no when I mentally want to do more on my workouts. If I know they have worked at it and struggled yet gotten past than I am happy for them. So in a round about way it is a mixed bag of emotions for me.

Can you believe we are at the end of April already!! We have covered about half of Walt's life so far, the next time I host I will cover the rest.

images.jpg

Now that we have gotten to know Walt a little better, which of his characteristics do you wish you had? How do you think you could incorporate them into your life?​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!