SSR resale prices

I know prices may fall a little bit as it gets closer to MF time. But I still feel that it's going to be priced way too high. I mean, it's not a monorail resort. It's large, so the buses are always packed and often you have to wait. We have rented points and stayed at SSR several times and while we love it, the theming isn't anything special. Disney does have a lot coming down the pipeline for the parks, but at the same time DVC is a timeshare, and I am buying accommodations, not park tickets. I guess I am thinking we missed the boat for where we wanted to be in terms of price per point, and it's kind of disappointing lol. I just think it's absurd.

Dont know if prices will decrease that much after all because of MF due time. A lot of owners are aware of the resale/rental marked so with little to no effort they can rent their points for approx 3 times as much as their MF.

It is amazing how much prices have jumped since the start of August. We put in an offer which was accepted for SSR in August for 180 points at $77 pp and it was fully loaded. Things have jumped up to the point where I likely won't bother with resale anymore if this trend continues.

It is amazing how much prices have jumped since the start of August. We put in an offer which was accepted for SSR in August for 180 points at $77 pp and it was fully loaded. Things have jumped up to the point where I likely won't bother with resale anymore if this trend continues.

If the resale prices continue to stay this high, the direct prices will follow.

That's the free market at work. Right now you go to a resale sight and they've adjusted their calculators upward for what your contracts are worth. Sellers aren't setting market prices. The brokers are. If the gap continues to narrow between resale and direct, the "two-tiered membership" DVD marketing has established will play out as planned and direct will win out. That is until...

If the resale prices continue to stay this high, the direct prices will follow.

... which we expect to happen (if past historical increases are any indicator). I wouldn't say retail was following resale, but prices are due for an increase and when they do, they'll continue to pull resale contract prices up with them. Rinse and repeat... until the economy implodes under the weight of Chinese debt. [oh no he didn't]

That's the free market at work. Right now you go to a resale sight and they've adjusted their calculators upward for what your contracts are worth. Sellers aren't setting market prices. The brokers are. If the gap continues to narrow between resale and direct, the "two-tiered membership" DVD marketing has established will play out as planned and direct will win out. That is until...

... which we expect to happen (if past historical increases are any indicator). I wouldn't say retail was following resale, but prices are due for an increase and when they do, they'll continue to pull resale contract prices up with them. Rinse and repeat... until the economy implodes under the weight of Chinese debt. [oh no he didn't]

IMHO the prices can only increase so much. At some point it just wont be worth it anymore. The direct prices aren't worth it if you buy a large contract, the small add-ons for the benefits thats another story.

One scenario could be that some of the resorts increases so much that they passes the direct prices. Disney wont touch them as they dont make any money on them. Maybe its far fetched but currently we have resorts that disney wont put you on a waiting list because they can't fulfill them anyway at least not regularly.

Ugh..... we still need about 150 more points, but won't be buying till next year or later. Hope they don't go to much higher.

its a risk that the prices wont come that much down towards the end of the year. They might decrease a bit but I dont predict that it will be much.

I own direct but have over the years both purchased and sold contracts on the resale market. When I list a contract for sale, the broker works for me... that's why I pay him/her a commission. The goal is to get me the highest price possible on the contract. What is any contract worth? The amount of money someone is willing to pay for it. The higher it is listed, the more money I receive and the higher my broker's commission is. That's the goal.

As a buyer, I understand that is how the resale market works. If I want a contract, I pay whatever the market is demanding. At the moment those prices have risen sharply. I don't know whether that will continue or not... I suspect, however, that as others have said, unless something catastrophic occurs with the economy, the prices will not decline much.

Whether you buy and where you buy is your choice. I actually just purchased a smaller contract at a sold out resort. After following the market for some time I decided to go direct. The price differential for resale was not all that great especially since I was looking to match a specific use year. Called my guide and within a week on a waiting list got the exact number of points and use year I was looking for, including both 2016 and 2017 points.

IMHO the prices can only increase so much. At some point it just wont be worth it anymore. The direct prices aren't worth it if you buy a large contract, the small add-ons for the benefits thats another story.

It's worth it to someone. Copper Creek continues selling. Polynesian is near selling out. Our expectations for what is "fair market" today is vastly different than what it was just two years ago. As expectations change, so will prices... or rather, as prices change, so will expectations (chicken/egg?). My guess is, barring another global recession, prices will continue to rise. I'm sure if we go far back enough into the boards, there will be posts talking about how obscene the prices were back then.

Is this a spike? Sure. Will it come down a little? Maybe. But more likely than not, while the horizon is Toy Story Land, Galaxy's Edge, Tron, Epcot 2.0, etc., you can expect prices to continue to rise.

One scenario could be that some of the resorts increases so much that they passes the direct prices. Disney wont touch them as they dont make any money on them. Maybe its far fetched but currently we have resorts that disney wont put you on a waiting list because they can't fulfill them anyway at least not regularly.

Maybe you can expand on this, as its a little unclear what you mean. It wouldn't make sense that resale prices would ever surpass direct. You can waitlist for any resort, some guides just don't advertise it as they're looking to move CCV, PVB, and Aulani.

Maybe you can expand on this, as its a little unclear what you mean. It wouldn't make sense that resale prices would ever surpass direct. You can waitlist for any resort, some guides just don't advertise it as they're looking to move CCV, PVB, and Aulani.

Why can’t they surpass the direct prices If Disney is unable to obtain any contracts due to the high prices? Disney don’t rofr resale unless the price is right + additional factors. If the price is too high they won’t do it not even if the additional factors are met.

Disney is selling BCV for 165 pp. if Disney is unable to rofr or buy back BCV from foreclosure then the resale prices will continue to raise as Disney can’t fulfill any waitlists.

Ofc Disney can raise direct prices but that would make single resorts stand out with a crazy high price. Even if Disney raised the direct price to 200 pp I do t expect them to buy back contract at 140+

Btw Disney don’t accept official waitlists for BCV you can twist their arm and they might accept to put you on an unofficial list but that is maintained by each guide.

Why can’t they surpass the direct prices If Disney is unable to obtain any contracts due to the high prices? Disney don’t rofr resale unless the price is right + additional factors. If the price is too high they won’t do it not even if the additional factors are met.

Disney is selling BCV for 165 pp. if Disney is unable to rofr or buy back BCV from foreclosure then the resale prices will continue to raise as Disney can’t fulfill any waitlists.

Ofc Disney can raise direct prices but that would make single resorts stand out with a crazy high price. Even if Disney raised the direct price to 200 pp I do t expect them to buy back contract at 140+

Btw Disney don’t accept official waitlists for BCV you can twist their arm and they might accept to put you on an unofficial list but that is maintained by each guide.

I get it now. Thank you for taking the time to clarify that.

You can get points at any resort direct if you're willing to wait. While some guides do manual checks as well, there is actually a centralized database that does the matching work. Guides "get permission" (this may be sales speak to show how special you are being treated) to add people to closed waitlists. Over time, they're notified when there are points to match to the waitlist. Some are more pro-active and check for their clients, but others just wait for the mothership to ping them.

I'm still having trouble seeing how that BCV scenario could play out in the real-world. To me, the resale market works because the savings are significant (in most cases). As soon as that is no longer true, direct looks more and more desirable (see small add-on threads). That shopper for BCV is going to look at the offerings and say, "OK, I can spend a lot of time and patience trying to secure a BCV at resale, or I can buy direct." What tends tip the scale are the bags of cash they imagine swimming in by buying resale (ok, maybe that was just me).

Disney has essentially created two memberships. People can debate the value of that difference, but it exists. Set the price point of those two memberships to be the same, and I'm willing to bet that the majority of BCV shoppers would be willing to either get on a waitlist for a direct purchase to get all the benefits, or settle for another resort that is available direct.

All that said, I could be wrong. I have never stayed at BCV and it could be vacation crack worth every resale dollar one would have to pay above direct. But crack factor aside, that sort of decision would make no sense to me.

Well, someone put in an offer on the $105 "firm" SSR contract. I hope they ran the numbers and realized that they're barely saving anything to deal with the hassle of resale. Doesn't bode well for my hope that the other contracts will drop down if someone out there is willing to pay $105 for SSR. Direct is looking better and better.

Wow, amazing how much the resale prices have increased. Makes one wonder when DVC is going to hit the upper limit on direct pricing.

Yup! I've put in offers for 2 SSR contracts so far, both won't take offers under $105! With closing costs for a 50pt contract? Umm, no thanks. Plan was 50 resale then 25 direct. Glad I'm not in a hurry bc at those points I'll just buy 60 pts direct and be done...for now I'll just be patient.

I just passed ROFR on 100 SSR pt contract for 80/pt. It has no 2018 pts but seller is paying the 2018 dues. I was paying cash so wanted to keep the price down. I can always borrow 2019 pts if I need to and I have another direct contract for 50 Poly I can use, so the stripped contract worked for me.

A 25 point contract exceeding direct pricing makes sense just because someone wanting to be a member can't purchase direct for 25.

With pricing at what it currently is, I think if I was looking to enter dvc today and was facing these direct and resale prices I'd purchase 25 resale and then get transfer points annually for whatever resort I wanted. Figure at $14/point transfer cost it's really only costing about $7 or $8/a point extra after mf's.

A 25 point contract exceeding direct pricing makes sense just because someone wanting to be a member can't purchase direct for 25.

With pricing at what it currently is, I think if I was looking to enter dvc today and was facing these direct and resale prices I'd purchase 25 resale and then get transfer points annually for whatever resort I wanted. Figure at $14/point transfer cost it's really only costing about $7 or $8/a point extra after mf's.

That doesn't make sense to me. If it is such a good deal to pay for someone else's points, and the resale contract is so high, why not just rent the whole contract instead of piecing it together with 25 of your own points and many of someone else's?

That doesn't make sense to me. If it is such a good deal to pay for someone else's points, and the resale contract is so high, why not just rent the whole contract instead of piecing it together with 25 of your own points and many of someone else's?
With the high resale and direct pricing it seems risky to me to purchase a larger contract right now on resale market.

25 points gets you in but they don't sell 25 direct. just pay higher on a 25 resale and take transfer points at $12-15 resort depending. Granted transfer points pricing may increase but for the next year or so it would at least give some time to see if market would depreciate as it has in the past.

25 resale at tops $3500-$4000 out of pocket and then another $2k for a transfer sounds much less expensive than $22k plus mf's to, "own" the points.

It just seems like a MUCH less expensive way to vacation right now for someone getting into the game.

With transfer points you own them for the year and can do what you want with them till they expire at end of uy or bank them. Figure the points always cost the mf's. So at $12/point that includes mfs. you are renting points at about $6/point above what they would cost if you owed them for the next 23-50 years.

I think I could sell my contract which I bought almost 4 years ago resale - and it would cover all of the dues I paid in the 4 years in profit. Never thought I could essentially have 4 years of Disney vacations for "free" - not selling but truly strange

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!