"stand by" chances

lisareneeo

DIS Veteran
Leaving two weeks from today and booked on AirTran for a 1:00pm sonething departure (with a stop) We had free vouchers so I am not complaining.

We are thinking about trying to go standby for an earlier flight?
Has anyone done this with Airtran and had any luck?
Right now flights still seem open. I will keep checking once it gets closer but I am just wondering about others who have done this and their experience.
Thanks
Lisa

Two weeks out means absolutely nothing and looking at the seat map means even less.

I flew today, last night there were more than 9 seats in coach available. 3 hours before the flight there were 3 seats available and at the time of departure the flight was oversold.

Flight loads can change in an instant. Take a look at www.seatcounter.com to accurately monitor loads.

In Feb we did it. We called the night before and was told that our chances of flying stand by in the morning was very good. Mind you we were taking a 5:45 a.m. flight.
I woud say go for it. Not sure how many are in your party but a senerio we had a year ago. There was one seat available for stand by on a 9:00 a.m. flight and one on a 9:30 a.m. flight so we flew seperatly.

Thanks, I guess I won't get my hopes up~!

I didn't mean to totally discourage you. I go standby all the time. Just don't get caught up in flight loads two weeks out.

Look at the website I posted a link to. It will show how many seats are actually left to purchase. The airline code for Air Tran is FL. The numbers next to each letter mean there are at least than number of seats available for purchase. (It will never show more than 9 seats available)

As an airline brat, I've been flying standby my entire life.

The best chances of making the cleared passenger list is to use the first flight of the day (leaving prior to 7am) or leaving the day before you need to get somewhere. Also, flights on Thursdays seem to be lighter travel days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter