Star Tours after Galaxy's Edge opening?

Laura's Dad

DIS Veteran
What will happen to Star Tours after SWGE opens at both parks? I have not seen any speculation on this.

What will happen to Star Tours after SWGE opens at both parks? I have not seen any speculation on this.
There has been a lot of rumor and speculation on this. It’s expecting to stay open at least for initial SWGE crowds and then change into something else.

I have been wondering this too myself. It woulud NOT make my sense to have a SW attraction outside the SW zone... but I do not like the idea to loose Startours...

It's been discussed/theorized a lot on these boards:

There is what some of us wanted/wished would happen -
That it would remain and just be used as an alternative entrance to SWGE. You board the "Star Tours" ship .. have some adventure and the last scene is you land on the SWGE planet (Batuu). So they redirect the Star Tours exit INTO SWGE to complete the immersion) - that likely isn't happening due to the existence of the Muppets courtyard in between.

There is what is rumored -
That it will go away "soon" and just be rethemed to some other IP (no idea what would work though)

There is what will probably likely happen -
Even though it isn't very "immersive" to have a Star Wars attraction outside of the land, I am not sure DHS can afford to shutter another attraction or two with the expected crowds. So they will keep it and the Launch Bay open for the forseeable future to keep the Star Wars fans that come to the park and while they wait to enter SWGE. They'll update Star Tours and Launch Bay with Episode IX stuff to help promote the movie.

There is the "would love to see" grand plan -
That Star Tours, Jedi Temple, Indiana Jones, Backlot Express, all get torn down and replaced by a brand new immersive "land" themed to Indiana Jones or some other popular IP.

Personally, if they keep Star Tours running when SWGE opens, I feel they will have somewhat failed in the immersion department.

My guess is they rethemed Pizza Planet before TSL came about to avoid confusion where "Toy Story" is in the park. It wouldn't make sense to have a Toy Story restaurant on the other side of the park from the "land". You'd think they would have the same thoughts when it comes to Star Wars. It feels like it will create confusion among the casual guests as they walk to the back of the park .. see Star Tours on the way and say "is this it?", thinking it is the new Star Wars Land.

Star Tours is eventually going to be replaced or demoed. It is out of place right now, it's going to be doubly odd once Galaxy's Edge opens. You can't have old star wars and new star wars in the same park.

I'm speculating and hearing Indiana Jones may get its own land. To do that the show and Star Tours will have to go, and Backlot Express will have to get a warehouse retheme.

Star Tours is eventually going to be replaced or demoed. It is out of place right now, it's going to be doubly odd once Galaxy's Edge opens. You can't have old star wars and new star wars in the same park.

I'm speculating and hearing Indiana Jones may get its own land. To do that the show and Star Tours will have to go, and Backlot Express will have to get a warehouse retheme.
Hey look something that I can agree with you on.

Wow...thanks for repeating what we have posted here for the last year :thumbsup:

Wow...thanks for repeating what we have posted here for the last year :thumbsup:

Let me try to be polite.

You are mistaken, I was saying it before everyone else about Indiana Jones. A rollercoaster and possibly a new version of the Cali ride is no doubt being discussed for the land.

Star Tours will be better suited in its new home in Tomorrowland. There's no way they would just throw it away, they've spent a lot of money on it over the years. Might as well keep it in either in Magic or Epcot (in the old Wonders building).

Let me try to be polite.

You are mistaken, I was saying it before everyone else about Indiana Jones. A rollercoaster and possibly a new version of the Cali ride is no doubt being discussed for the land.

Star Tours will be better suited in its new home in Tomorrowland. There's no way they would just throw it away, they've spent a lot of money on it over the years. Might as well keep it in either in Magic or Epcot (in the old Wonders building).
Interesting. So you are saying INDY stunt show goes, and the potential replacement is Indy ride currently in Cali or a clone of that? Wouldn't that be putting Dinosaur! in two parks in WDW FL? I find that a bit of a reach but maybe.

I will be you my next paycheck Star Tours is NOT going to tomorrowland, nor are the ride pieces. I am betting it will stay where it is, and just get new IP.

Interesting. So you are saying INDY stunt show goes, and the potential replacement is Indy ride currently in Cali or a clone of that? Wouldn't that be putting Dinosaur! in two parks in WDW FL? I find that a bit of a reach but maybe.

I will be you my next paycheck Star Tours is NOT going to tomorrowland, nor are the ride pieces. I am betting it will stay where it is, and just get new IP.

Dinosaur and Indiana Jones are such incredibly different experiences that having both wouldn't really be a problem.

Let me try to be polite.

Disney spends a lot of money on things to just throw them "away" shortly after. (Just look at Pizza Rizzo).

I could see them putting Star Tours in Epcot in the Wonders of Life pavilion considering that Body Wars was just a Star Tours clone. Though I don't know (after all these years) they could easily "plug and play" Star Tours vehicles into the Body Wars bays. Like I said, previously having a Star Wars presence in ANOTHER park helps spread out the crowds a bit like how they split up the Harry Potter stuff between two parks at Universal .. though those are unique because they are technically connected.

I still can't see them moving an entire ride like Star Tours to another park .. just seems to expensive to do, but who knows. It all depends how grand the plans are for that side of DHS.

I still personally think there’s a huge missed opportunity to build a ramp over the old toll both and have that be the new queue/exit but thinking upon it that might be overkill simulator wise for Star Wars

Disney has similar rides throughout its property.

Though the vehicles are similar, the experience is as different as "It's a Small World" is to "Pirates" and "Little Mermaid" is to "Haunted Mansion".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter