Star Wars ride and motion sickness

DisneFamily

Earning My Ears
NEED SOME HELP WITH A RIDE QUESTION: For the 2 new Star Wars rides do any of them have drops or are fast? My wife can’t do fast motion and drops. She doesn’t even like the drop on pirates of the Caribbean. Can you let me know what rides that are comparable to the 2 new Star Wars one so she knows if she can handle them. Thank you!

Smuggler’s Run is a simulation, so you’ve got a big screen in front of you. I was a “gunner”, and the idea is you push buttons on the side of the ride, so you have to look to the side to do that. I’m not a motion sickness person, but there was no way I could do that after the first attempt. Looking straight ahead was fine. There were no drops.

At RotR, there were no drops either.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you anything to compare them to- there is nothing I’ve ever seen that is comparable to RotR. It’s got a lot going on, but none of it has drops or a roller coaster type of thing at all.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you anything to compare them to- there is nothing I’ve ever seen that is comparable to RotR. It’s got a lot going on, but none of it has drops or a roller coaster type of thing at all.
Whoa, RotR does have a small drop near the end. It's not as bad as tower of tower, but the transport drops straight down probably 10 to 20 feet. It smooth and not intense, but if someone is sensitive to drops they may not like it.

Can easily get motion sickness on SR. It’s a simulator. DH was a pilot and said it ruined him for a little bit. Went on next time with Dramamine and it helped. It does feel like you’re flying, but no drops or anything of that nature.

Last edited:
I would say the drop on ROTR is similar to Pirates. Smugglers Run is a fast moving motion simulator like Star Tours, but with the addition of having to look back and forth from the screen to the wall at your side to push buttons (assuming you want to participate in the ride - you don’t have to). I found that looking back and forth was unsettling to my stomach.

PS search this forum for motion sickness - I think there are other threads that might be helpful to you.

RotR does have a drop. It's comparable to the feeling one gets on the small drop in Pirates...maybe a tad less intense. Over in about 2 seconds. I equate it to what one would feel jumping into a pool from the deck.

Would RotR be appropriate for seniors who are about 75-80 years old and in good health? Given the roller-coaster style warnings on the attraction, I would normally not dream of taking them on it... but in this case it sounds like it might be fine?

Would RotR be appropriate for seniors who are about 75-80 years old and in good health? Given the roller-coaster style warnings on the attraction, I would normally not dream of taking them on it... but in this case it sounds like it might be fine?
I have the same question! I’m debating if my 75 year old parents should go on it or not! They go on pirates so if they drop is the same then they are good. But if it’s any bigger I’m thinking no? Is there a chicken exit before that portion of the ride so they could at least see the other parts?

I have the same question! I’m debating if my 75 year old parents should go on it or not! They go on pirates so if they drop is the same then they are good. But if it’s any bigger I’m thinking no? Is there a chicken exit before that portion of the ride so they could at least see the other parts?
Not sure you can really compare it to that but it is a very quick drop. It is straight down and not a flume like pirates. They would have to exit before the actual vehicle portion of the ride. So they could see the pre-shows and thats it.

Not sure you can really compare it to that but it is a very quick drop. It is straight down and not a flume like pirates. They would have to exit before the actual vehicle portion of the ride. So they could see the pre-shows and thats it.
Thanks!!!

Do they ride Star Tours - and like it? If so, speaking as someone pretty close to their age group I’d say they’ll be fine on ROTR if they’re ok on Pirates and ST. DH agrees!

Do they ride Star Tours - and like it? If so, speaking as someone pretty close to their age group I’d say they’ll be fine on ROTR if they’re ok on Pirates and ST. DH agrees!
My dad rides both of those rides but my mom doesn’t like star tours (she stares at the exit sign). I think because she went on body wars (if anyone remembers that ride) and felt sick so star tours she wasn’t too keen on riding it. She has high blood pressure so I was worried about the health warnings. But she rides pirates (we did it 6 times in a row one night). I’ll leave it up to her but my dad should be good to go!

My dad rides both of those rides but my mom doesn’t like star tours (she stares at the exit sign). I think because she went on body wars (if anyone remembers that ride) and felt sick so star tours she wasn’t too keen on riding it. She has high blood pressure so I was worried about the health warnings. But she rides pirates (we did it 6 times in a row one night). I’ll leave it up to her but my dad should be good to go!
I remember Body Wars very well, and it always made me motion sick but Star Tours never did. ROTR is different in that you’re in a moving vehicle making quick turns instead of staring at a screen. ST is the closest ride we could relate it to.

I remember Body Wars very well, and it always made me motion sick but Star Tours never did. ROTR is different in that you’re in a moving vehicle making quick turns instead of staring at a screen. ST is the closest ride we could relate it to.

They have not been on Star Tours but I think they would not like anything that’s a screen based motion simulator. It’s a good point that being in a moving vehicle that’s open is less likely to make people feel sick.

Would you say it’s as intense as Indiana Jones Adventure (in California) or Dinosaur (at WDW)? Those are probably the closest analogy I can think of, but I find those might move too violently for people whose backs aren’t in excellent health.

Would you say it’s as intense as Indiana Jones Adventure (in California) or Dinosaur (at WDW)? Those are probably the closest analogy I can think of, but I find those might move too violently for people whose backs aren’t in excellent health.
Neither is as intense as Dinosaur. FWIW, I get motion sick on jerky rides and neither SW ride made me feel poorly at all

When do you go? We go in April I can let you know if my parents end up riding it or not!

NEED SOME HELP WITH A RIDE QUESTION: For the 2 new Star Wars rides do any of them have drops or are fast? My wife can’t do fast motion and drops. She doesn’t even like the drop on pirates of the Caribbean. Can you let me know what rides that are comparable to the 2 new Star Wars one so she knows if she can handle them. Thank you!
I get motion sickness. I can’t do any roller coaster at Disney. I found ROTR fine. There is one drop but it was very manageable. But I am also fine with the drop on Pirates.

She should not do Falcon. The motion on that one is vomitous.

Would you say it’s as intense as Indiana Jones Adventure (in California) or Dinosaur (at WDW)?
Neither is as intense as Dinosaur.
I agree - I don't think either one is as jerky as Dinosaur or Indiana Jones at DLR. For me though the issue on MFSR was having to look back and forth from the screen to the wall next to me in order to play my role (Engineer). Next time I'm assigned to Engineer or Gunner, I'm going to ask the CM to set my place to auto so I can simply watch the screen and enjoy the action there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!