Staterooms on Disney vs. Other Lines

I couldn’t deal with that room at any price! It’s pretty much my nightmare, I’m really claustrophobic.

I also have little kids (4 and 1) and just couldn’t deal with having them right over me. We really liked the DCL stateroom because we could put them to bed at their typical 7:30 bed time and close the curtain. I could still keep my light on the far side on and once they fell asleep we could move around the cabin or one of us could leave, without bothering them. Plus they wake up early and when they wake up super early and can see us, they’re up for the day, instead of laying back down like they normally would.

I did some preliminary searching for the family room/suites on other lines and for the Caribbean itineraries they were impossible to find.

Depending on your ideal stateroom type, it sounds like you would be most comfortable in what's dubbed Family Oceanview on both NCL/RCL or Mini-Suite on NCL and Junior Suite on Royal. Check the room type you had on DCL and compare the square footage when shopping on the other lines so you find closest to your preference.

We had a two bedroom, two bath suite on NCL for the price of a veranda on DCL, so that's a great option for space. Included both a living room and a dining area too.

On other lines, room set up is very much dependant on the age of the ship. Many of the older ships don't have the sofas and have generally smaller rooms.

The newer Carnival ships, tend to have more roomy oceanview and above cabins. The Dream class ships (Dream, Magic, Breeze) and Vista Class (Vista, Horizon) - most of their oceanview cabins are 220 sq feet. The Dream class also has some oceanview cabins that sleep 5 and have a split bath.

Look at the bright side:

For those on other threads who have worried about their children sleeping in the top bunk and falling out...

In a setup like this, they couldn't possibly hit the floor!

Of course, they might land on you or your spouse...

Yep! DS was 3 at the time so we put him on the bunk above us so if he fell, at least he would fall on our bed.

I couldn’t deal with that room at any price! It’s pretty much my nightmare, I’m really claustrophobic.

I also have little kids (4 and 1) and just couldn’t deal with having them right over me. We really liked the DCL stateroom because we could put them to bed at their typical 7:30 bed time and close the curtain. I could still keep my light on the far side on and once they fell asleep we could move around the cabin or one of us could leave, without bothering them. Plus they wake up early and when they wake up super early and can see us, they’re up for the day, instead of laying back down like they normally would.

I did some preliminary searching for the family room/suites on other lines and for the Caribbean itineraries they were impossible to find.

I'm right there with you on the advantages of the curtain!!

Royal Caribbean ships have "family" or "spacious" staterooms that could potentially suit your needs - I was just quoting Enchantment of the Seas for somebody, and it had family interior, oceanview, and verandah staterooms. It looks like the twin bed and pullman bunk are tucked away behind a partial wall, with a curtain you can draw across the opening. I would do that in a heartbeat!

Another thing we really like about DCL is having a split bathroom.

That was the one thing I missed cruising with Princess.

Other than that, I preferred our mini-suite on our Princess cruise. The couch pulled out into a bed, instead of just folding down. DD15 hated the couch/bed on our Disney cruise. She loved the sofa bed on Princess. We were going to do a Royal Caribbean cruise, but the second bed pulled down from the ceiling, over our bed. I did not like that idea at all.

I'm right there with you on the advantages of the curtain!!

Royal Caribbean ships have "family" or "spacious" staterooms that could potentially suit your needs - I was just quoting Enchantment of the Seas for somebody, and it had family interior, oceanview, and verandah staterooms. It looks like the twin bed and pullman bunk are tucked away behind a partial wall, with a curtain you can draw across the opening. I would do that in a heartbeat!
Yes, but there's only 1 on the ship, so they're really hard to get. In fact, I think you have to phone for any family suites.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Enchantment-of-the-Seas
upload_2018-2-15_13-9-19.png

Harmony of the Seas has 7 Family suites with verandah, 8 like it that are oceanview and 4 more insides. Not many for the number of families you'd think they wanted to attract.
https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Harmony-of-the-Seas
upload_2018-2-15_13-12-1.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter