Status on what DVC is doing for Fall cancelled vacations

Boardwalk Tigger

DIS Veteran
We had a March 2020 vacation cancelled by Disney and they put our 2019 points into 2020. We rescheduled our vacation for early Oct 2020. However now due to Covid concerns in Florida, direct flights changed by Southwest to going through multiple airports and quarantine requirements coming into Florida still in place by Florida from northeastern states we decided to cancel.
What is DVC doing now for cancellations? Is RCI exchange only remedy. We have a February use year so we would have to schedule a vacation by January 2021 which I can not see us doing with Covid and fact that we have a March 2021 vacation scheduled. Thank you for any thoughts on this.

OP have u discussed ur concerns w MS?

I proactively cancelled 3 DVC res before banking deadlines so far. Sitting pat on nov/dec trip, Am past banking deadline.

Rebooked the August & sep/oct with cancellable replacements thru WDW & swan.
August was originally heavy on borrowed 2020 UY points It took a few calls In early May but DVC returned Them to the original UY before they came out with official policy change

Unfortunately, I can’t see DVC being able to continue extending expiring points’ usage on a one for one basis going forward much longer. It would get too top heavy, even with the current borrowing restrictions

Not happy thinking about it but, Expect them to state (even if the parks would close again) if the resorts are operating, then they are fulfilling their obligation.

good luck

We had a March 2020 vacation cancelled by Disney and they put our 2019 points into 2020. We rescheduled our vacation for early Oct 2020. However now due to Covid concerns in Florida, direct flights changed by Southwest to going through multiple airports and quarantine requirements coming into Florida still in place by Florida from northeastern states we decided to cancel.
What is DVC doing now for cancellations? Is RCI exchange only remedy. We have a February use year so we would have to schedule a vacation by January 2021 which I can not see us doing with Covid and fact that we have a March 2021 vacation scheduled. Thank you for any thoughts on this.
Unless something changes you'll simply have to reschedule within the UY the points are in, use them for RCI or rent them. If you have qualified points you may be able to use them toward other options like DCL etc.

I agree with the prior poster. Unless the resorts close down again, I don't think you're going to get those points extended.

As mentioned, as long as resorts remain open, they really have no reason to extend points for members.

The only ones who may be given additional time are those who own at Aulani and VGC whose resorts remain closed.

It is a stressful time for many with points needing to be used during the next 6 months, Good luck with your decision.

I get a little confused with this because Disney canceled our vacation and my understanding is they took our points from our end of March vacation and put them into 2020 use year( and I booked an Oct trip 2020). Now that I’m cancelling due to Covid in Florida ,quarantine rules, etc wouldn’t I be able to bank these points or can I just request RCI points. I don’t know 🤔 Thank you for any help

I get a little confused with this because Disney canceled our vacation and my understanding is they took our points from our end of March vacation and put them into 2020 use year( and I booked an Oct trip 2020). Now that I’m cancelling due to Covid in Florida ,quarantine rules, etc wouldn’t I be able to bank these points or can I just request RCI points. I don’t know 🤔 Thank you for any help
As it stands now, If they are banked points in 2020 UY from 2019 UY they won't be bankable again. If they are 2020 UY points, they should be bankable subject to normal banking rules.

So if Disney took our vacation points from March vacation when they canceled us and put them into 2020 and we used for Oct rebook but are now canceling are they bankable? I thought we were put into a special category as they canceled our vacation in March. We did not. I remember we got a better deal than if we had canceled on our own

So if Disney took our vacation points from March vacation when they canceled us and put them into 2020 and we used for Oct rebook but are now canceling are they bankable? I thought we were put into a special category as they canceled our vacation in March. We did not. I remember we got a better deal than if we had canceled on our own

There was no difference for points canceled by members vs Disney. The key for allowing things was when the original trip was and if the resorts and parks were open or closed, I think some CMs were telling owners they could let Disney cancel, but I canceled a few trips and all the points were treated the same as they would have been had I allowed Disney to just cancel.

As a timeshare owner, the closing of resorts is on us and DVCM made some exceptions to the rules on our behalf as owners, including allowing late banking for trips during closure or prior to park opening,

You don’t mention your UY, but if the points were banked in order to be used for October, than normal rules already apply.

The only banked points given an exception were from 2018 and are extended only until November 30th, 2020.

The technical answer as I understand it and assuming these were 2019 points that were banked into 2020, is no as they would have already been banked once and they are not allowing exceptions for a second banking. Now if they were borrowed points and returned to the 2020 UY, they likely are. If they were 2020 UY points then they would be. Go online and look at your points and you should easily be able to tell.

We are at risk of losing some banked-from-2019 Feb UY points. I put them into a short reservation in January. If we can't go (can't take 2 weeks from work to quarantine when we get home), we'll probably just try to rent the reservation (not expecting to make $ from it, but just offset some of our MFs)

We have a March year and had to cancel our Aulani vacation in June. We managed to reschedule it for December but given the current travel restrictions to Hawaii and their current r-naught, I'm expecting that vacation won't happen. 231 points used for that vacation are 2019 points. I've already accepted that it's likely they will go unused. Unfortunate loss due to Covid19.

The quarantine into Florida has been lifted as of two days ago. But going back to NY or other states might be a different thing.

The quarantine into Florida has been lifted as of two days ago. But going back to NY or other states might be a different thing.
I think NY still has some restrictions coming back from states they believe have a problem. Please check to make sure your ok.

We have a March year and had to cancel our Aulani vacation in June. We managed to reschedule it for December but given the current travel restrictions to Hawaii and their current r-naught, I'm expecting that vacation won't happen. 231 points used for that vacation are 2019 points. I've already accepted that it's likely they will go unused. Unfortunate loss due to Covid19.
Just curious how much dollar wise is 231 points worth.?

We are at risk of losing some banked-from-2019 Feb UY points. I put them into a short reservation in January. If we can't go (can't take 2 weeks from work to quarantine when we get home), we'll probably just try to rent the reservation (not expecting to make $ from it, but just offset some of our MFs)
Good luck. Hope you can find someone that can help you.

The technical answer as I understand it and assuming these were 2019 points that were banked into 2020, is no as they would have already been banked once and they are not allowing exceptions for a second banking. Now if they were borrowed points and returned to the 2020 UY, they likely are. If they were 2020 UY points then they would be. Go online and look at your points and you should easily be able to tell.
Glad this is cut and dry... What the heck... Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!