Staying at the Disneyland hotel

dwight16

DIS Veteran
tell me about getting to the each of the parks? Walk? How does there monorail work? What’s the fastest and least crowded. First day CA second day DL with the extra magic hour. I got my max pass so I know I have to scan in to start the FP process.

For CA you have no choice but walking through DTD. For DL you can walk or take the monorail. But I wouldn't take the monorail at rope drop. It sometimes gets delayed.

Are you fighting with people who parked to get though security? For CA we can’t use the grand Californian entrance?

Are you fighting with people who parked to get though security? For CA we can’t use the grand Californian entrance?
Security located at the entrance to DTD. Those coming thru this entrance are generally guests of the DLH, PPH, and guests who walk from nearby hotels. Generally, it is fairly quick to get thru. Guests who park are generally going thru security at the parking structure or if they walk from the structure, they enter by the ESPN zone. The GCH entrance to DCA is pretty limited and is very busy until about 30-45 mins after the park opens. I personally will use the front gates if entering within the first hour because it is so busy.

While the monorail is fun, it rarely gets you in the park on time for EMH. We prefer to walk to the gates, it is about a 7-8 min walk.

Short walk through DTD to get to the gates from the DLH. There are lots of security stations and if it is an early (7:00 am) EMH DTD is not at all crowded (except inside starbucks!) Many folks who STAY at the GCH walk through DTD to get to the main gate to DCA for EMH because the line to get into DCA from the hotel can be pretty long and there are only 2 security check points, so it takes more time.

At rope drop, they only allow GCH guests to use that entrance to DCA. You have to show a room key. I have heard that they sometimes do this during the day too, if it's busy. Everything I have read says to avoid the GCH entrance at all costs at park opening, if you are staying at GCH, due to how slow it moves.

tell me about getting to the each of the parks? Walk? How does there monorail work? What’s the fastest and least crowded. First day CA second day DL with the extra magic hour. I got my max pass so I know I have to scan in to start the FP process.
The fastest way to get there is to walk. The monorail is a slower process at Disneyland than at WDW.

When are you staying at DLH? I ask because if it’s in July or later we don’t know what the procedures for getting to the park will be.

They will walk, just like they do now. There is no other reasonable way to get guests to the parks. They will maintain a walkway during the construction.

They will walk, just like they do now. There is no other reasonable way to get guests to the parks. They will maintain a walkway during the construction.
Yes there are other ways to the parks, they suck but they exist. Disney will have to tear up the entire thing to build the foundation for the new hotel as well as the hotel itself. Remember the new hotel is going to be right up to the monorail. For the demolition and foundation creating time it is entirely feasible imho a different system will in place to funnel in DLH/PPH guests. Whether it’s crossing the street to the Grand (ugh! Hope NOT! Security can suck as it is!) or moving the security clearing waaaay left of DLH when entering DtD where guests then take a tram shuttle in- who knows? Neither of those options are attractive but both are possible. Will anyone like it? No. Will the majority of people who are planning to return someday complain but ultimately return? Yes. And those that don’t are easily replaced by the new demand that will be created with SWL, Marvel Land and the new hotel. I remember what people were put through with the GCH remodel! Remember the months on end reports of people staying club level at GCH eating in the outdoors, freezing & sweating depending on the month? Having the privilege of dining in tables and chairs set up in grass? If Disney is willing to do that to club level GCH guests they will have zero qualms telling PPH/DLH guests to walk an extra half mile or wait an extra 20 mins to get to the parks. Yes, they’ll try to tunnel people through the construction zone as long as possible but imho people going after July 1 need to be aware things could be very different. Even if it’s just for a super short time if it’s the week of a person’s vacay it will hurt a bit less if they know stuff could be different from what they read online. Maybe it never happens, maybe Disney very carefully sections the construction out and does stuff overnight so guests can always walk through somewhere so it all goes down as you suspect it will but personally I would not count on that.

Last edited:
I doubt we will see much demolition during the summer (during July/Aug.) The restaurants close in June. But once they close, it will still be a couple months to get the equipment moved out prior to demo.

I doubt we will see much demolition during the summer (during July/Aug.) The restaurants close in June. But once they close, it will still be a couple months to get the equipment moved out prior to demo.
Considering how fast Disney moves sometimes it could be Thanksgiving before we see any action!

This is the best thing I've read all day! Going mid-July, and staying at DLH. Would love to not have to deal with construction!

I don't know. Once they closed House of Blues, demolition started immediately and they had that building torn down in about a week. They moved very quickly with the Splitsville construction. Same for the new parking structure. They don't waste time.

I'm thinking they will likely start the ball rolling pretty quickly so they can get the hotel in as soon as possible. They're looking at cashing in on the Galaxy's Edge crowds. They also won't want to impact DLH longer than they have to, I don't think. It's possible construction could turn people away from DLH and the new hotel has months until completion so I would think they'd want to move things along as quickly as they can.

Well, House of Blues closed May 29th, 2016. Demo on the building didn't start until Jan 2017 according to news articles. While I agree they will want to be quick, the date for closure is mid June. That is the date they stop serving. After that date, then they start "moving". Furniture has to be moved out, food has to be moved out, look at all the electronics that will have to be moved out of ESPN, all the "stuff" (animatronics) that has to be moved out of Rain Forest, it is going to take a minimum of 45 days to get it out. I know they have applied for the demo permit, did it have a start date? I believe when they did it for HOB, they filed in Sept 2016 with a Nov date, and it didn't start til after the Christmas time (second week of Jan I believe.) <off to look for demo permit>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!