Stolen Personal Information News

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
From the VFW website, just thought I would share with others as it looks like active duty, family members and retirees can possibly all be affected.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE…

June 7, 2006

To All Veterans and Spouses:

On May 3, personal information on 26.5 million veterans was stolen from the home of a Department of Veterans Affairs employee who was not authorized to take such information home. The data, stored on a personal computer, consisted of names, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, and some home addresses, telephone numbers, disability ratings and spousal information.

VA Secretary R. James Nicholson publicly announced the theft on May 22 and assured the nation that his department would contact every veteran affected and provide them detailed information on what they should do to protect themselves from identify theft and fraud.

Until you are contacted by the VA, every veteran should assume that they are affected by this loss of personal data, and act quickly to protect yourself from identity theft and fraud. Veterans should contact one of the three largest national consumer credit bureaus below and place a free three-month fraud alert on your file and, if married, your spouse’s file. The other two companies will be automatically informed of the fraud alert.

• Equifax: 1-800-525-6285, www.equifax.com
• Experian: 1-888-397-3742, www.experian.com
• TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289, www.transunion.com

We understand the VA is working with the national credit bureaus to develop a program that will extend beyond the three-month free period. The VFW firmly believes it is the obligation of the U.S. Government to pay for any additional credit protection, to include assisting veterans should they become credit fraud victims.

The VA established a national toll-free number, 1-800-FED-INFO (333-4636), and website, www.firstgov.gov, for veterans to contact for additional information, but the answers provided are generic and do not answer the primary question: “Am I on the list?” The VFW recommends that you assume you are.

Here’s what we know about the data loss to date: It impacts up to 26.5 million veterans, to include some spouses. The VA said it affects all veterans who separated or retired since 1975, and older veterans if they filed disability compensation claims or used their GI Bill or home loan guarantees. We also learned this week that World War II veterans who participated in Mustard Gas experiments may be affected, as well as current Guardsmen and Reservists who once served on active duty.

Clearly, we do not have a full accounting on which veterans are impacted, so I urge you to protect yourself and your families now, and I ask that you share this letter with others, especially older veterans who may not fully understand the ramifications of identity theft and fraud.

We will continue to keep you informed as more details become known. Please check our website at www.vfw.org for updates.

Yours in Comradeship,

JAMES R. MUELLER
Commander-in-Chief
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States

Yeah, we received a letter in the mail about it today. We are SO thrilled that the 2 times our personal information has possibly been stolen, have both been related to my DH's employer.......the US Gov't! :rolleyes:

First, then Bank of America govt credit card problem, & now this one!

Yeah, our letter arrived yesterday, we knew it was just a matter of time. I hope nothing comes of all this either, but just in case I called the number listed and put a fraud alert on our account.

It is funny that there hasn't been any press on what has happened to the guy that did this. This is serious stuff, all we have heard was that he is on paid administrative leave, you would think it would be something more given the circumstances.

First he was suspended, and then I believe I read he had been fired.

Dh received a letter in the mail today about this. I'm sure he will not be to pleased :rolleyes:

My Dh just got his letter... what do they mean by " I urge you to protect yourself and your families now" what can we do?

MY DH got that letter too.

I think that as far as protecting yourself, you could do as the letter says. Put a fraud alert on your credit file. I have that on mine because someone applied for a credit card using my name. (Thank goodness it was denied because I already had that one)
The only impact that having a fraud alert on my credit file is that when I apply for a instant credit, like if I can get 20% off by appling for a store credit card, I can't. The credit issuer has to call me at my home phone number and ask some identifying questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter