• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stormalong Bay at Yacht/Beach Club to be Closed Jan-June 2025

GADisneyDad14

Disney Resorts Board
This is very far out and you can’t even book stays starting in 2025 yet, but some material news for those thinking about YC/BC/BCV in early 2025:

From January 2025 through May 2025 (Disney later edited this to June 2025), Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will be closed for routine maintenance. Guests may see or hear construction work during daytime hours. During this time, Guests are welcome to swim at the Tidal, Admiral and Dunes Cove leisure pools.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-resort/

Last edited:
This is very far out and you can’t even book stays starting in 2025 yet, but some material news for those thinking about YC/BC/BCV in early 2025:

From January 2025 through May 2025, Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will be closed for routine maintenance. Guests may see or hear construction work during daytime hours. During this time, Guests are welcome to swim at the Tidal, Admiral and Dunes Cove leisure pools.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/beach-club-resort/
It's not THAT far out!! That is a long closure, but I'm sure that pools need it every several years. Interesting that they're only mentioning the quiet pools on property as substitutes. Have to think they'll have other options available as the time gets closer (perhaps BW), but maybe not. I can't imagine doing BC/YC is March/April/May without SAB - it's a main draw, and the weather is usually pool weather. Guess we'll see if they hold to this schedule first, and then worry about the details closer to the time.

I wonder how this will effect Hurricane Hanna. Doesn't seem there would be much demand for the QS or the bar.

Ugh! This resort is why we go to Disney every March! I can't imagine anyone staying there w/o SB unless it is discounted massively (which I'm sure it won't be). Those quiet pools cannot handle the crowd that is usually at SB. Also it does seem like a very long closure. Maybe those dates will change? Fingers crossed!

Ugh! This resort is why we go to Disney every March! I can't imagine anyone staying there w/o SB unless it is discounted massively (which I'm sure it won't be). Those quiet pools cannot handle the crowd that is usually at SB. Also it does seem like a very long closure. Maybe those dates will change? Fingers crossed!
Not surprised by the length of the closure - that entire pool area is massive. An entire refurb is likely to take that long, depending (of course) on what they plan to do. But where to go with all those guests who want/need a pool.....? And that time of the year is very popular at BC/YC, with Festival of the Arts and F&G Festival during that time.

Not surprised by the length of the closure - that entire pool area is massive. An entire refurb is likely to take that long, depending (of course) on what they plan to do. But where to go with all those guests who want/need a pool.....? And that time of the year is very popular at BC/YC, with Festival of the Arts and F&G Festival during that time.
They will probably recommend booking another resort if guests want a feature pool.
The SAB closure months provide a stretch of reasonably good weather. They need that with such a big outdoor project.

It's not THAT far out!! That is a long closure, but I'm sure that pools need it every several years. Interesting that they're only mentioning the quiet pools on property as substitutes. Have to think they'll have other options available as the time gets closer (perhaps BW), but maybe not. I can't imagine doing BC/YC is March/April/May without SAB - it's a main draw, and the weather is usually pool weather. Guess we'll see if they hold to this schedule first, and then worry about the details closer to the time.

There really isn't a feasible alternative. Those are 2 large resorts and you can't put that burden on Boardwalk Inn. That is unfair to those guests. They MAY offer free or reduced admission/transportation to one of the water parks. THAT would be a fair alternative. I feel like they have done that in the past when SAB has been closed.

There really isn't a feasible alternative. Those are 2 large resorts and you can't put that burden on Boardwalk Inn. That is unfair to those guests. They MAY offer free or reduced admission/transportation to one of the water parks. THAT would be a fair alternative. I feel like they have done that in the past when SAB has been closed.

In the past, have also allowed use of BW’s pool. And when BW’s pool was closed, they have allowed those guests into SAB. Guests at “hosting” resorts were unhappy each time, with lots of complaints. I think that is why they’re giving so much advanced notice. So guests can book a hotel that works for them if a feature pool is important. I think the reduced admission to a water park & direct transportation is a great idea.

Actually I and my parents stayed here and don't think I spent but about 5 minutes in SB. We booked it for it's location not the pool. We did use the hottub in the quiet pool area.

But I can see SB being a big draw for families with kids or couples who like the lazy river. I imagine it won't deter the crowds who just want to be by Festival of the Arts or Flower and Garden Festival.

Dee on the YC/BC thread usually keeps everything and while there could be errors and omissions, she has notes back to 2011 of various refurbishments. My memory is that SAB was often subject to partial refurb closures for a month or two, usually Jan-Feb (which we really haven’t seen in the last couple of years), and Dee’s notes tend to support this - several shorter partial section refurbs - the lazy river, the slide, etc. I didn’t see anything about a full closure, not sure if that has ever happened, at least in modern times. I’m sure someone here knows.

Regardless, I think any pool hopping precedent could be N/A with a full closure. It’s one thing if the slide or lazy river is closed and they let people go to BWI for a month or two during winter, it’d be a whole other thing if they allow that with a full SAB closure - I don’t see Disney doing that.

Feels more like Poly’s major feature pool renovation awhile back where they gave guests tickets to BB (this was 2015 or so if I remember correctly). Although there have been numerous subsequent multi-month closures are other resorts and I am not aware of any offering water park tickets. (ETA, note report below from @bookgirl about getting water park tickets during WL’s recent pool closure). Although maybe with SAB being pretty far up there in why people book YC/BC like the Lava Pool is with Poly, we could see something similar.

Or they feel they’ve given big time notice and no accommodation is therefore needed at all. 😂

It would seem to be that a water park benefit along with the ample notice would be a nice solution to maintain some semblance of guest demand for those who enjoy their pool time.

Last edited:
Dee on the YC/BC thread usually keeps everything and while there could be errors and omissions, she has notes back to 2011 of various refurbishments. My memory is that SAB was often subject to partial refurb closures for a month or two, usually Jan-Feb (which we really haven’t seen in the last couple of years), and Dee’s notes tend to support this - several shorter partial section refurbs - the lazy river, the slide, etc. I didn’t see anything about a full closure, not sure if that has ever happened, at least in modern times. I’m sure someone here knows.

Regardless, I think any pool hopping precedent could be N/A with a full closure. It’s one thing if the slide or lazy river is closed and they let people go to BWI for a month or two during winter, it’d be a whole other thing if they allow that with a full SAB closure - I don’t see Disney doing that.

Feels more like Poly’s major feature pool renovation awhile back where they gave guests tickets to BB (this was 2015 or so if I remember correctly). Although there have been numerous subsequent multi-month closures are other resorts and I am not aware of any offering water park tickets. Although maybe with SAB being pretty far up there in why people book YC/BC like the Lava Pool is with Poly, we could see something similar.

Or they feel they’ve given big time notice and no accommodation is therefore needed at all. 😂
I stayed at WL during their pool closure (it was like Sept-Nov) and we got a waterpark ticket.

My memory is that SAB was often subject to partial refurb closures for a month or two, usually Jan-Feb (which we really haven’t seen in the last couple of years), and Dee’s notes tend to support this - several shorter partial section refurbs - the lazy river, the slide, etc. I didn’t see anything about a full closure, not sure if that has ever happened, at least in modern times. I’m sure someone here knows.
I don't remember any closures of this magnitude before. I have a feeling that this will be a major refurb like they have done at so many other pools, like WL and CR. They take off the pool tiles and perform other refurb work. This would be a big project with a pool the size of SAB.

I’m glad they have given ample notice.

With such a long refurb and over a years notice I can see Disney not offering people to go to BWs pool. They may offer water park tickets and transportation.

From January 2025 through May 2025, Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will be closed for routine maintenance
Thank you for sharing! We have BCV points specifically for Spring Break/March, and this will affect how we use them in ‘25. Our kids love SAB, and we do too. Although a complimentary pass to TL or BB would be a fun substitute! Hmmm.

This seems like such a long time for a pool refurb. We are planning an extended family trip for May 1-11, 2025. Now I'm wondering if we should choose another resort.

This seems like such a long time for a pool refurb. We are planning an extended family trip for May 1-11, 2025. Now I'm wondering if we should choose another resort.
They say through May 2025. If you plan on pool time yes you should pick a different resort. The quiet pools will be chaos.

POFQ is slated for 4 months for their refurb. Given the complexity and size of SAB 5 months actually seems a little optimistic to me but I suspect Disney will pour more effort into wrapping that refurb due to how important SAB is to BC/YC.

Thankfully, I'll be at Yacht Club in less than three weeks, so I'll get to treat my wife to this pool.

However, I do have a question for anyone in the know--will the refurbishment bring back Bubbling Bay? It was an area near-ish the slide with bubble jets on the pool floor. When I stayed there in 1995, it was quite the experience. Only one jet was still operational last time I was there in 2019--not sure if any have been fixed in the last five years.

They also need to bring back the story of Stormalong that used to circulate in the 90s!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter