• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stormalong Bay at Yacht/Beach Club to be Closed Jan-June 2025

We were there this winter and if I am thinking of the correct area off to the side of slide before the volleyball net that had “sinking sands” it seems like there was just one vent/jet where the sand really sank. I have a vague recollection of it being much more noticeable (and fun) years ago.

Thankfully, I'll be at Yacht Club in less than three weeks, so I'll get to treat my wife to this pool.

However, I do have a question for anyone in the know--will the refurbishment bring back Bubbling Bay? It was an area near-ish the slide with bubble jets on the pool floor. When I stayed there in 1995, it was quite the experience. Only one jet was still operational last time I was there in 2019--not sure if any have been fixed in the last five years.

They also need to bring back the story of Stormalong that used to circulate in the 90s!!

We loved that area when we started staying there in the 90s. We go several times a year, so I don’t remember exactly when they stopped working. There were years of nothing in that area, then one visit there was some bubbeling again. That might have been 2019, again, not sure exactly when. But it was very brief, was working for 1, maybe 2 trips then it was back to nothing. I don’t have any hopes they’ll fix it ever again.

We were there this winter and if I am thinking of the correct area off to the side of slide before the volleyball net that had “sinking sands” it seems like there was just one vent/jet where the sand really sank. I have a vague recollection of it being much more noticeable (and fun) years ago.

No, this wasn’t the sinking sand area. It was between the slide exit & the gazebo building, on the side near the lake. Not near the volleyball net. There’s a picture of SAB on the Y& B thread. Here’s a screenshot with the area circled.

IMG_6164.jpeg

Last edited:
No, this wasn’t the sinking sand area. It was between the slide exit & the gazebo building, on the side near the lake. Not near the volleyball net. There’s a picture of SAB on the Y& B thread. Here’s a screenshot with the area circled.

Thanks for the map. I was thinking of the wrong area, but yeah, nothing is really working there in recent years.
View attachment 834046

We just spent the last two weeks at the BCV and the Dunes Cove pool. Every afternoon the chairs were filled with just BCV guests. I do not know how they will accommodate the BC guests even if they cram in extra chairs. There just isn't that much space. I think guests will be upset at not having any food or drinks available at well and if they do provide some service it will take forever to get as this is nowhere near a kitchen or bar. I know work needs to be done but this is going to be a nightmare.

I guess this is why Disney is giving plenty of notice so you can plan to book elsewhere or at a time when it will be open. Unless I was set on having many pool days, I’d skip it until SAB was open again.

I guess this is why Disney is giving plenty of notice so you can plan to book elsewhere or at a time when it will be open. Unless I was set on having many pool days, I’d skip it until SAB was open again.

Exactly! They announced it well before anyone could book for that time period, so no one can complain they booked without knowing there would be no feature pool. It might be a great time to stay for those of us who love the resort but rarely use the pool.

And BC has another quiet pool, as does YC. Everyone won’t go to the BCV pool.

Last edited:

We just checked in to beach club today and the SAB is open with kids swimming even though it's raining and cold!
We braved it in December and had the pool mostly to ourselves. It was so nice to have it uncrowded, but it was so chilly getting out.

Last edited:
Feels like this thread can't be bumped enough for the sake of infrequent readers or people who miss Disney's somewhat easy to miss disclaimers.

But now to add to the Stormalong Bay's January through June 2025 closure, Disney appears to be planning to use the time for YC room renovations as well:

From January through May 2025, some Guest rooms at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort will be under refurbishment.
While Guests may see or hear construction work during daytime hours, most Resort hotel amenities will remain available.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/

Feels like this thread can't be bumped enough for the sake of infrequent readers or people who miss Disney's somewhat easy to miss disclaimers.

But now to add to the Stormalong Bay's January through June 2025 closure, Disney appears to be planning to use the time for YC room renovations as well:

From January through May 2025, some Guest rooms at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort will be under refurbishment.
While Guests may see or hear construction work during daytime hours, most Resort hotel amenities will remain available.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/yacht-club-resort/
I know I have stayed at many resorts just prior to their updates and would think, wow this room is so worn.

I was at YC 2020,21,22,23 and just this past February. Room looked fine to me. I don't love the mostly tan/brown so I will look forward to an update.

Thx for the update.

I know I have stayed at many resorts just prior to their updates and would think, wow this room is so worn.

I was at YC 2020,21,22,23 and just this past February. Room looked fine to me. I don't love the mostly tan/brown so I will look forward to an update.

Thx for the update.

I have read some reports of people mentioning issues with hallway carpets and I have seen recent videos of YC room tours and definitely noticed a lot of scuffs and dings on the wardrobes and furniture. Guessing they will probably take the opportunity to add more outlets and the shower dispensers for toiletries.

Compared to our stay in 2021/2022, I thought the common areas, lobby, etc. were in good shape when we were there this winter. However, our room was a little worn. It was clean and the linens and things seemed fresh and clean, but I did notice that a lot of the wood furniture was knicked and banged up (our hairdryer had seen better days too). I’m not sure the wood furniture would get replaced if it’s only a lighter return. I guess we’ll see. Maybe the YC has lots of conventions booked for that time period bc btwn the room refurb and SAB being closed, it’s not going to be the most desirable resort.

Last edited:
The waterpark option would be great! Does anyone know for sure if this has been offered before?
I wouldn’t bank on this. We stayed at AKL kidani when the main pool was closed. We were just told to go to the next door resort. This resort was almost $1200 a night back then.

We stayed at an alternative resort when the Big Blue Pool was closed at AOA. Guests were told to use the quiet pools; nothing else was offered.

I think that YC and BC will be a tough sell at Disney prices without Storm a long bay. Therefore, it makes complete sense to take out a floor of rooms for a refurb while the pool is out. Less crowds will help with congestion at the quiet pools and you may have fewer families as well. It's a win for Disney without having to give ridiculous discounts to keep the rooms full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter