Story From Iraq

hans02

American Soldier
Okay there is a story from one of the hospitals that I want to tell everyone. This story took place during the elections in January, but you did not hear about it on the news because all press was waiting at the polling stations for that "catastrophic" event that never happened.

There is a hospital in Baghdad (only logical to have a hospital in a city where the most violence is, and also once was the capitol). On the day of the elections in January, a mother, who is an Iraqi, was going into labor. Because of the seriousness of the day, and most forces dedicated to supporting the elections, most gates were closed for the International Zone, causing the gates that were open to be flooded with the people trying to get into the International Zone for work and other things.

Well anyway, this mother went into labor in an Iraqi hospital (Iraqi hospital= US hospital sometime in the 50s to the 70s, not very sanitary, and difficult to be helped for anything major), and with the Iraqi hospital staff knowing they did not have the capacity to assist this woman, they called US forces for assistance. Because of the busy gates, it was impossible to get an ambulance to the scene, so a MEDEVAC mission was called (helicopter comes and picks up the patient).

MEDEVAC arrived shortly and carried the mother to the US hospital (the significance is hard to explain on the use of the MEDEVAC, but MEDEVAC missions are not used for anything inside the city, unless someone can secure an intersection or someplace to get the helicopter to land, plus MEDEVAC is for US personnel and Coalition forces initially, and civilians secondly).

Okay well moving on the mother arrives at the hospital, in very much pain (I guess I never and never will give birth, but I am sure it is quite painful), and is rushed to the emergency room. Inside that room doctors worked on a mission they never expected to endure when they got to Iraq, seeing as how we are fighting a war here, and a child was born. An Iraqi child was born in an American hospital, the only time this has happened in Iraq.

Okay well now you know the story, but what I really need to stress is reporters were told about this, the woman was in the hospital for a little while, it's not like she was there for an hour and checked out. Did any of you know about this before I sent it? I highly doubt it. The point I am trying to make is the media NEEDS to cover, as Paul Harvey puts it, The Rest of the Story.

Instead of individuals holding candlelight vigils for peace, we need to be banging on the doors of the media industry demanding a fair and balanced report, not a skewed version that only shows blood and violence. Okay well I am going to get off of my soapbox now, but I hope everyone enjoyed that little piece of knowledge.

DS was a combat medic in Baquba last year and had lots of stories like the above one, those are just the stories nobody but family and friends hear about. I checked out the link to your pictures, they were wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

Instead of individuals holding candlelight vigils for peace, we need to be banging on the doors of the media industry demanding a fair and balanced report, not a skewed version that only shows blood and violence.
Amen to that!

DH has been nothing but saddened by how the media portrays Iraq since he got home. He won't watch the news now. He has many uplifting stories he shares. People are shocked and tell him these are the kinds of things they want to hear. DH has even spoken to several groups since returning. It is an eye opener to many to hear the positives. The media is negative and often not even accurate!

Thank you for sharing, bless you for being there, and take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter