Strategy for waitlisting christmas reservation

ColonialMouse

Mouseketeer
Due to some last minute school changes, we had to cancel our January vacation and are trying to replace it with a week-before-Christmas reservation. Luckily I have all the nights covered, but with 3 different reservations (1 night treehouse, 2 nights OKW, 3 nights treehouse). I put in two waitlists, one that would replace the two OKW nights with a treehouse, and then one that would add a first OKW night (but I didn't set it to cancel the treehouse because I'd really rather get the treehouse).

I haven't done this sort of waitlisting before, so two questions.
* if the first night OKW waitlist comes through, am I actually allowed to hold two reservations for the same night with the same people listed? Does MS try to enforce any rules here, or is it just if you want to use your points that way, then OK?

* There is a warning in setting up a waitlist that if you waitlist individual days, you'll have to switch rooms. Previously I have always just asked MS to merge separate reservations when I wound up with them for some reason. Will they actually not merge waitlists if they come through (assuming they're for the same room type)?

I'll keep stalking, especially since there could be all sorts of other room types that might open up for the first 3 nights, but hopefully the treehouse waitlist will come through....

Thanks,
Bruce

MS can still merge the reservations.

On the other I'd personally set the room and the waitlist up under 2 different names and then modify once you know which you're going to keep. Just keeps it a little less confusing for MS.

Kathy, delayed but thanks for the response. Appreciate the insight.

Since I posted the original question, I’ve had much better luck stalking than with waitlists. I managed to stalk to where I had all but one night THV. I had two waitlists, one for the first day OKW and the other for the missing second day THV. The OKW waitlist had no notes to cancel anything, but it came through and they CANCELLED THE FIRST DAY THV. Argh.

Since then I stalked the second day THV, and had member services modify OKW so now I have a single day OKW followed by the rest THV. I have a waitlist for the missing THV day and will continue stalking.

I hadn’t bothered to modify the THV first day thinking they wouldn’t cancel anything since I didn’t ask for it, but no such luck. Hopefully it’s just a single day at THV I’m missing, so it will come through...

Bruce

Glad you've got most of it! Bummer that they didn't follow the instructions so you'd have all the nights at THV but still time to get that first night back. That's why I like to make it different names to hopefully make them pause and examine if it asks for a cancellations or not. At least it's the first night which we find easier to do as a split - much better than something in the middle. Good luck getting it back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!