Stressing over friends Disney trip

MBurns

Firedog
I am stressing about a co-worker and her family who are leaving for Disney World on Sunday. I have been giving her pointers and giving her ideas on how to plan, but she keeps saying "we didn't have to do that last time we were there". Well I told her things have changed since the last time about 10 years ago, so today I asked her what they were planing, she said we are getting together Friday night to discuss what everyone wants to do, keep in mind they leave Sunday, one thing she did say is they are going to AK, Epcot and MK in 1 day and I flat out told her she was crazy, this is the start of Spring break also. I feel bad that they are not going to have the trip they are hoping for, like they had last time.

I am stressing about a co-worker and her family who are leaving for Disney World on Sunday. I have been giving her pointers and giving her ideas on how to plan, but she keeps saying "we didn't have to do that last time we were there". Well I told her things have changed since the last time about 10 years ago, so today I asked her what they were planing, she said we are getting together Friday night to discuss what everyone wants to do, keep in mind they leave Sunday, one thing she did say is they are going to AK, Epcot and MK in 1 day and I flat out told her she was crazy, this is the start of Spring break also. I feel bad that they are not going to have the trip they are hoping for, like they had last time.

I did 4 parks in 2 days in a busy season, it's doable as long as you're willing to wing it...

I don't see anything to stress about, we never book FPs in advance until day of, we park hop all the time, especially during busy times. A Disney trip is what you make of it and everyone does it differently.

I understand where are you coming from, but they probably don’t mind not seeing all or doing it the way we disney hardcore fans do it. Don’t stress out, is their time and money and above all, their vacations. I don’t stress over other people’s plans as long as they don’t interfere with mine.

It's their vacation and you're not responsible for them having a good time or a bad time on their trip, but it was definitely thoughtful of you to share what you know about navigating around WDW!

They'll have a good time or they won't, and that's not your responsibility. You've offered your advice, which is the most you can do as someone who's not part of that family or going on that trip, and you have to respect her decision to decline it. It sounds like her family are not big pre-planners, and even ten years ago WDW was still a different experience depending on whether you preplanned it or winged it. The way they experience WDW is probably a lot different than the way you do, and their expectations are probably much different to yours. While you might be disappointed in the results of the kind of vacation they're planning, odds are decent that your coworker's family will be perfectly happy with it.

I agree with everyone's opinions, and know I need to let it go. I just hope it goes the way they want.

I am a huge planner, had have a hard time to just winging it, my wife has me do all the planning because she is just a person that wants to just wing it, while I will get worked up if I don't have some type of flexible plan.

I don't stress about my own vacation...I certainly would not stress about someone else's trip. Other than picking fastpasses on the exact date that i can, everything else is up in the air. We have gone enough that I just do not worry about it. If they aren't uber planners, then let them be.

We don’t plan in advance due to physical matters. Some days are good for me, not requiring too much help. Some days are difficult, making it nearly impossible to keep up with an active day. I do not know in advance how I will feel that day. We schedule one day at a time.

This does not force me to have a bad time at Disney World; it simply requires that we plan in a different way. Try to not worry about your friend, she will be ok!

I get it! I can't wing Disney! I research everything. I faithfully make my reservations the day they open and check frequently, to make sure I got the best time. When they came out with FastPass reservations online, I was so happy, I almost cried. LOL!!! I'm a planner, but I enjoy it. Other people can't stand plans.
Don't worry. The beauty of Disney is you can't do everything, so you have to go back!:lovestruc

It's their vacation and you're not responsible for them having a good time or a bad time on their trip, but it was definitely thoughtful of you to share what you know about navigating around WDW!

I totally agree!

You can lead a horse to wooder.....

Hopefully it will work out for them!

I’ve been in this position many times. I offer the help, some take it, some don’t. The ones who don’t usually have a bad time. I feel bad but I offered the help, I can’t force them to take my advice. I have so many stories at could share but my most frustrating one was my sister and her family were going and they really took my advice except for one: ADRs. They thought I was insane to suggest making ADRs months in advance. I think they thought they would be able to go anywhere and discovered counter service was the only thing offered same day. So needless to say, I had to hear about how horrible the food was. Oh well.

Why worry so much? It's their trip not yours. I can understand not wanting to hear if they get back and find they didn't like it and that's a real possibility but ultimately it's still their trip. Everyone tours differently. People all vacation differently. At least give them credit for sitting down together to go over what they want to do.

I wouldn't have presumed to tell your coworker she was 'crazy'. I would have said gently to just go over what everyone wants to do as there may be more than what time they have so far allotted. Some people don't find AK to be a day's worth (and Pandora may or may not be high on their list or it could be that the rest of AK with the exception of Pandora isn't high on their list, some people don't find spending a lot of time in MK if they don't feel it is their cup of tea with the type of rides and for Epcot World Showcase may or may not be what they are up for. It's entirely possible they may provide more time than originally expected. Who knows.

Probably the stress I would personally feel is wanting to be on vacation at WDW and instead it's my coworker who is :)

I, too, would love to know how their trip turned out. Did they have a horrible time? Did they manage to enjoy their trip without following your planning advice?

Have faith that it will turn out just fine. No matter what, going to Disney World is a blast. A vacation is a getaway from the daily routine. There are so many options of things to do. I'm sure it will turn out well.

They ‘ll love it... having seen 20 percent of what they could have seen and done planning.
Or they ll dislike it because all they did was wait in lines and saw nearly nothing for “ all that money”
Either way.. their vacation , their finances.
Nice of you to share/care but stress over it? Nope... I say they live n learn on their own.

some group can only plan last minute, and plans can't come together any other way, my in laws are that way.

people's ideas of a vacation are different too, so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Sorry have not had the opportunity to give an update, I only had a chance to talk to my co-worker on Friday. After speaking with her there trip was OK but not great, biggest complaint was lines for rides and not understanding the fast pass system. Then she commented about the viewing areas for "Happily Ever After", saying they tried finding a spot about 10 or 15 minutes before they started. They did EPCOT and MK in the same day and since they were not resort guest had to pay for parking at both parks and complained about that not knowing they had to even pay for parking.

They crammed a lot into the week they were there with EPCOT, MK, Universal, Sea World, a beach day in Cocoa Beach and a dance competition, almost getting into 3 car accidents 1 on Disney property, 1 leaving Sea World and 1 on the way back to the Airport.

All in all said she would not do another trip like this without doing a lot more prep work pre-trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!