Stroller for over 35lbs

lisadoll93

DIS Veteran
I am trying to find one for my autist son. His stroller is his safe place but he is outgrowing the one his has.

Any suggestions would be great.

Mclaren Major Special needs stroller, holds up to 100 pounds, My child is about 40 pounds, I had my older daughter sit in it for estimate , she is 10 and weighs 70 pounds and fits nicely, it does NOT recline but has a nice sun shade and amble storage underneath. The handles are high so it is easy to push. I even used it at the beach.. I love this stroller.

HTH.. Nicole

Maclaren Specal Needs Stroller. My ds is 75 lbs and fits very nicely.
My doesn't have the bottom basket though. Going to have too check if I can find one for it.

Ditto, you need a McClaren stroller. I need to sell my sons on Ebay, when I get around to it. (he is 17) You might see some on there for sale, I don't know.

BTW.. I did get mine on E-Bay for a good price, they are usually quite expensive, especially when you add options such as the basket and Sun Shade. I also have a Safari Tilt in Space Wheelchair but she loves sitting in the Mclaren. I also like that it is high and can be used at tables for her, there are often times when she just can not get out of her wheelchair/stroller.

There are some good discounts to be found on the Mclaren. If you have a Neurologist sometimes they can refer you someplace where you can get a discount.

We loved the MacLaren Major for my son - he's finally outgrown it at 12 - looks like a stroller, very comfortable for him (we did buy the pad that goes with it) & the harness kept him feeling nice & secure. It was very easy to manuever & it was also nice to have storage underneath.

My son used this stroller for 3 1/2 years, from 8 1/2 to 12, as stated above. He now weighs 77 lbs. and is 58" tall - and I just wanted to say that while he was obviously too tall for the stroller, he was still able to sit in it comfortably with the harness on. We used it during our April trip to WDW & it was great, especially since it's pretty easy to collapse - we had a system going to get him & the stuff out & then collapse it as the resort bus was pulling up. A jogging stroller isn't as flexible, which was a big factor in going with the MacLaren instead of the other style. I was also able to store the MacLaren in the back of my van, "just in case."

HTH - and good luck to you! :)

A company called Adaptivemall has a good selection of special needs stollers on their website.
Even if you don't end up buying from them, they have a lot of information that will help you compare the different options. If you do end up buying from them, they have pretty competitive prices and also have phone assistance for sizing and choosing items (it's even possible to make a phone appointment).

It is worth checking out whether your insurance will pay at least part of the cost. For many children, it is a safety need even when they are capable of walking.

Mine was covered through my health insurance. I called and asked if they covered a wheel chair and they said as long as I had a note from a doctor saying it was medically necessary. It is always worth a try. I was also able to get the hood covered I just had to pay for the basket on the bottom.

As Sue suggested, I used adaptivemall to research options for strollers & purchased my MacLaren Major from them with no hassles back in 2003.

Thanks to Mish, I was able to pursue having my son's new stroller, a Convaid Cruiser covered by insurance - we have full coverage for durable medical equipment & my doctor wrote a prescription....we had to use a local company that accepted our insurance and it took 3 months, but it was well worth the effort.

Thanks to Mish, I was able to pursue having my son's new stroller, a Convaid Cruiser covered by insurance - we have full coverage for durable medical equipment & my doctor wrote a prescription....we had to use a local company that accepted our insurance and it took 3 months, but it was well worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

I am so glad it worked out for you.

Insurance (mostly) paid for for my DD's stroller too. We used a KidKart. She loved it, but outgrew it by the time she was 8. Now she just uses an adapted pediatric wheelchair, which insurance also covered. They also helped us purchase a moterised scooter to be used at school. She is now 15. Good luck!
Joy

Thanks to Mish, I was able to pursue having my son's new stroller, a Convaid Cruiser covered by insurance - we have full coverage for durable medical equipment & my doctor wrote a prescription....we had to use a local company that accepted our insurance and it took 3 months, but it was well worth the effort.

I am so glad it worked out for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I wanted to encourage others that it can be done :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter