STROLLER ~ Oh yes, another confused mom and her stroller questions...

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi, we are flying from Toronto to Orlando and dh and I are STILL debating what stroller(s) to bring. Son will be 15 months old and daughter is 7 years old. Daughter has heart defects that make too much walking a chore. Hubby thinks we just need the umbrella stroller for the baby and let dd walk. dd can walk but will definately tire very quickly (more than 'normal healthy' 7 year old). I want to take the side-by-side double stroller and an umbrella stroller. The double stroller will fit both kids. Thing is, I don't know if the double stroller will fit in the reantal car in Orlando! Wouldn't that be horrible ~ lugging the double down there only to find out it WILL NOT FIT IN THE CAR! So you all can make up our mind! So if that's not enough, we can bring a regular single big stroller for baby only. I know I want to take the umbrella stroller no matter what else we take. So please pick for me!

(1) only umbrella stroller
(2) umbrella and double
(3) umbrella and single

SandraC, visit our Disney family web site www.angelfire.com/on/disneyfun
º0º
1975 - off site (11 years old),
1977 - off site (13 years old),
1987 - Indian Rock Shores (23 years old with hubby, b/f at the time),
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach (26 years old, with hubby, six month after wedding),
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 APRIL - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 mo

I know you didn't list this as an option, but have you considered taking two umbrella strollers? You wouldn't have to worry about the car problem, and then on an easier day(like maybe MGM, where there isn't as much walking as MK or Epcot)you could bring the second along to the park and store it in a locker, and if she gets tired go back and get it. Just a suggestion.

We had the stroller dilemma, too, but are only dealing with one! Good luck and have a great trip.

MK 10+ as child
CB '91
DxL '93
DxL '94
CS '96
CB 5/01

I think I would take 2 seperate strollers, just to be sure you can fit them in rental car. If both strollers will fit DD I would recommend that at least one reclines so the little one can lay down to sleep. It may be a pain hauling them around, but it will be a lifesaver if both need to ride at the same time.

If you really want to bring the double stroller rent a minivan when you go, then it will be no problem. That is what we do. You could also put in on the luggage rack and attach with bungee cords and lock it to the rack. We have also done that. Your other option is bring umbrella and rent stroller for 7 year old when she gets tired.

SandraC - We found that we walked a ton on our last trip. With fastpass we would go to the back of the park, then the front, then back again, and so forth. I'm a pretty motivated Disney person, so ambling just isn't always an option for me. Often we found ourselves hurrying to make a PS, hurrying to make a show, or hurrying to get back to a fastpass attraction.

I would describe our 7yo DS as having an average amount of energy, yet he was done in by Disney. The first park day we rented a single stroller for 4yo DD, but every day after that we rented a double stroller for the two of them. I can promise you that some children even older than that use a stroller regularly at Disney. At home DS would have had a fit if I'd suggested a stroller, but at Disney he just sank thankfully into it when he was too tired. Whatever your strategy, I would plan on having a full-time stroller available for your 7yo, just in case she needs it. By the way, the rentals cost $7 for a single and $13 for a double, with $1 refundable. Even if you park hop you can save your receipt and get one later the same day at no additional charge. We found them particularly suited to older children, because they're easy to get in and out of.

Cheers,

dondaisys.gif

Okay, so pretend I've moved my clipart from geocities

CindyAnn
Co-moderator - Restaurants Board

I vote for two strollers...not two umbrella ones, though. My 3-1/2 and 1-1/2 year olds spent most of the time in the strollers, and I know my 11 y/0 (she's small for her age) wanted to sit down in them a few times!

You could take your one regular stroller and rent one there for your daughter...They're only $6.00/day and they are nice and roomy. The don't recline so I wouldn't get one exclusively for a younger child, though. That way you only have one stroller to haul back and forth out of the parks, but you'll have two while your in them. I'm sure your 7 y/o will be fine at Downtown Disney as it's WAY smaller than the parks...my 3-1/2 year old didn't stay in his stroller while we were there

My vote is for 2 strollers. And not the double. You may never know if you and DH might separate during the day also, so 2 strollers will help you there.

I have an 8 yr. old DD. I just bought her an umbrella stroller today. So we go with 2 umbrella strollers (other DD is 5). We were there last year also - with 2 umbrella strollers (one broke since) - and we used them both.
Disney is tiring and if you go when it's hot, kids need the strollers even more.

Have fun,

Anna

My thought was to bring a regular stroller and an umbrella stroller. You'll want the regular stroller for the 15 mo. old because it reclines. Then you can bring the umbrella and if your daughter wants to walk you can fold it up and hang it on the handle of the other stroller. That way you don't have to push an empty stroller around.
If you rent one you won't be able to take it out of the park, so you won't have it to walk to the busses or your car, or to walk through the hotel with. I imagine a 7yr. old gets pretty heavy after a while.
JMHO

You may want to look into a "Sit and Stand" Stroller. The front seat is like a regular stroller, but there is room in the back for a older child to stand or sit. They are made by a company called Babytrend. I found mine at Toys R Us. It folds to fit in the trunk of a car and the front seat also reclines. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter